Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon G9, is it the best P&S out there?

The time has come for me to make a P&S purchase. I am going to the Biltmore Estate this weekend and the GF wont let me take my setup so its P&S or nothing. As much as I hate to do it, but is the G9 for $440 the best deal for IQ and functionality out there?

07-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #2

Yes - at the moment

For the size, features including RAW, as well as IQ, yes it's the best at this moment.

I'm needing a P&S for my bride of 30 years, which I will use as a backup when needing the pocket ability. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but our October Hawaii anniversary trip will cause me to make a choice at that time.
07-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #3

I would also consider the Leica D-lux 3, ricoh GRII, and Lumix DMC LX-3.

All of those have sensors that are slightly larger than most P&S (so does the G9).

Out of those four, the Lumix has the lowest pixel density, followed by the ricoh and the leica (tied), and the Canon comes last.

Personnally I would take a deep look into the Leica and the Panasonic before I purchase the G9, mostly because of the leica design on the lens.
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a G9 and I am very happy with it. I'm more just a hobbyist (vs. amateur or pro), but it has served me well for almost a year.

07-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The g9 is great-my brother and father both carry it as a supplement to their canon and pentax dslr's, repsectively. The only gripe I have about it is the size - it is defifnitely not something you can put in your jacket pocket. I am also looking around for a good p&s. Right now I'm pretty much keeeping any eye on the price of the Panasonic fx500. Great IQ, very nice features (and a great size!)
Here is a good video tour:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 / FX520 review Cameralabs video review
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

GRD I or II are tiny, light, quiet and sharp.
If you do not need a zoom (and lik 28mm efl) I can highly recommend them.
Tje first gen one is going for greatly reduced prices at pop flash.
It does far better jpeg than second gen, but write raw very slowly.
Second gen does raw far faster.
First gen has dual control wheels plus mode dial
User Interface is unsurpassed in 'p&s' world
Full image and exposure control.
If you simply must have zoom G9 is great deal right now if abit slower in operation (but it does write raw very fast)
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You don't have to be stuck with a P&S!

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The time has come for me to make a P&S purchase. I am going to the Biltmore Estate this weekend and the GF wont let me take my setup so its P&S or nothing. As much as I hate to do it, but is the G9 for $440 the best deal for IQ and functionality out there?
She definitely doesn't understand. I'm assuming that the reason she doesn't want you to take your DSLR setup is that she doesn't want to have to wait around while you change lenses and such.

For the same amount of money as the G9, you could pick up either the Tamron or DA 18-250 and not only get a greater zoom range, but you get to take the K10 with you, which you are already familiar with, as far as operation goes. If you get a G9, you'll have to start from scratch in learning how to use it.

I would be curious to see how a G9 and a Pentax DSLR with an 18-250 mounted stack up against each other in terms of IQ.

HTH,
Heather

07-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

P&S

Why not get a 35mm P&S. Full frame and everything!!!! I have recently started back with film and really enjoy it. Just a thought!
07-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would pick the Pana. Love the 16:9 format. Also allows 3:2 (like our dslrs) and 4:3. It has a true wide angle lens with the 16:9. It is a very sharp lens!
Haven't shot the Canon but have played with it in store. Too big for me. The Pana LX2 is much smaller. It also shoots raw (bigger files than K10D) because it shoots jpeg at the same time. National Geographic photographer Dewitt Jones shoots the Pana. There was an article about in in OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHER.

Would also consider the Pentax A40. Has very big chip with IS. No raw. Saw some comparisions posted on this site between it and K10D. Very hard to pick which was which. Very small camera.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT #9 winners in P&S forum. Enter #10!
08-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I would pick the Pana. Love the 16:9 format. Also allows 3:2 (like our dslrs) and 4:3. It has a true wide angle lens with the 16:9. It is a very sharp lens!
After seeing this thread on DP Review with links to a Korean website that compares the new LX3 to the LX2 I would definitely just wait on the LX3 unless you prefer the zoom range on the LX2. It looks like the LX3 smokes the LX2 (as well as every other 10+ megapixel small sensor camera) in every possible IQ test.
08-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #11

Pana as a company has got themselves some nasty habits of overspec the product and underdeliver the image. They really over-process the JPEG. I know, i got a Pana TZ3. Impressive specification, Zeiss lens and all, but don't ever push her anywhere out of low ISO on a bright day.

time will tell if the LX3 will be better... I sure hope they are.

Last edited by truonganh; 11-06-2012 at 09:45 PM.
08-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Sharing some A40 shots, just slightly bigger than a credit card and fits perfectly in pocket. No PP in these shots, straight from the card.

Old Glory

From the hotel balcony

From my window

08-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

truonganh, would be very surprised if your Pana or any other had a Zeiss lens! Leica would be surprised as well. Agree that the Panas haven't been great at high ISOs to this point. Almost always shoot mine at 100. Most P&S aren't to good at high iso either (except older Fuji). My LX2 can turn out incredible quality shots at 100. Hopefully the LX3 will be even better. Can't wait to see one.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #10.
08-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
truonganh, would be very surprised if your Pana or any other had a Zeiss lens! Leica would be surprised as well. Agree that the Panas haven't been great at high ISOs to this point. Almost always shoot mine at 100. Most P&S aren't to good at high iso either (except older Fuji). My LX2 can turn out incredible quality shots at 100. Hopefully the LX3 will be even better. Can't wait to see one.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #10.
i stand corrected, Lumix TZ3 has this printed on the lens: "Leica DC Vario-Elmar 1:3.3-4.9/4.6-46 Asph"

.... well... maybe it was not made by beer drinking germans with thick accent, but I do have to say, whatever the lens is, it's sharp. the chipset and firmware got a lot to catch up to it.
08-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Unless you need small and pocketable I would second Heather's recommendation. I have the 18-250 mounted on my k100 all the time. In auto mode it makes a fantastic point and shoot. I just throw it in my somewhat largish pocketbook and off I go. If I don't want to carry a pocketbook I have a small Domke holster waist bag that works well.

Robin