Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Point & Shoot Competition #107 - Black on Snow

Welcome to December's Point and Shoot Competition

I've always found snow an intriguing yet complex subject to photograph. It's bright, fresh and cold!
When I've introduced something black into the frame, it can create an interesting composition and result in a real storyteller!

With 2016 coming to a close, let's have a look at your Black on Snow. Competition ends on New Year Eve. Excited to see your submissions.

RULES (as per usual):

1. Have lots of fun!
2. Cameras:

No cameras with sensors larger than 1".
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras.
No 35mm (D)SLRs or any camera weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted (cameras listed as acceptable here supersede rules above):

Mobile phones, old and new, iPods, tablets, toy cameras.
Fixed-lens 35mm and smaller-format film and digital rangefinder and viewfinder style cameras.
Interchangeable or fixed-lens 110film SLRs and Pentax Q.
TLRs, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, Medium Format "folding", "box", or "Holga-style" scale focus cameras ( subject to 1kg weight limitation).

ANY CAMERA BRAND ALLOWED.

3. Entries will close on Saturday, December 31st, 2016 at Midnight (EST).

4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.

6. No restrictions on when the entries were taken.
7. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

8. Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time.

12-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may be one I can't play in. I have no existing shots like that and I'm in the American South East which is having a heat wave every other day - 70 yesterday, 60's today. This is the warmest fall I can remember. Even in normal winter I'm in the ice belt here so snow is not unheard of but rarer than feezing rain or ice.
12-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Fuji 645 is acceptable, it seems? It's a 645 point-and-shoot, under 1 kg. It seems not explicitly prohibited by any of the rules, but also not allowed specifically by the cameras permitted list.

Fujifilm GA645 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
12-03-2016, 11:47 AM - 6 Likes   #4

Christmas in Colorado

Captured with a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 smart phone, 16 mp, ISO 200

Attached Images

12-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The Fuji 645 is acceptable, it seems? It's a 645 point-and-shoot, under 1 kg. It seems not explicitly prohibited by any of the rules, but also not allowed specifically by the cameras permitted list.

Fujifilm GA645 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
I can't see why not, I checked here. Fuji GA645 – The Awesome Film Camera | American Peyote

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 06:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This may be one I can't play in. I have no existing shots like that and I'm in the American South East which is having a heat wave every other day - 70 yesterday, 60's today. This is the warmest fall I can remember. Even in normal winter I'm in the ice belt here so snow is not unheard of but rarer than feezing rain or ice.
Sounds like on a normal winter, you could have some real dicey roads there. I'm sorry that I created a competition that you are not able to photograph or have photos of.

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 06:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wlc1967 Quote
Good lighting on this shot!
12-03-2016, 07:48 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Oh my aching back ...

Hard to believe we haven't had snow here in the Buffalo, NY area yet, so I had to dig into the archives for my first submission.
This was taken from my living room window on November 18, 2014. We woke up to the beginning of an epic snowstorm that had 40-50 MPH wind gusts and left us with 4-5 feet of snow in two days. My poor neighbor who was shoveling never left his house that day.
Taken with a Pentax MX-1.

Last edited by zman; 02-03-2017 at 05:25 PM.
12-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Hard to believe we haven't had snow here in the Buffalo, NY area yet, so I had to dig into the archives for my first submission.
This was taken from my living room window on November 18, 2014. We woke up to the beginning of an epic snowstorm that had 40-50 MPH wind gusts and left us with 4-5 feet of snow in two days. My poor neighbor who was shoveling never left his house that day.
I used to live across the border in southern Ontario. I can feel the storm in this shot, brings back memories!

12-04-2016, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlc1967 Quote
Wonderful winter mood here.

Real snow landscapes are also very rare over here.
We do get some snow from time to time but December is really early. So, I'll see if we get (un)lucky
12-04-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dustyroadphotos Quote
Sounds like on a normal winter, you could have some real dicey roads there. I'm sorry that I created a competition that you are not able to photograph or have photos
The roads can fool people. We have a lot of northern imports to the area and they whine about school closings and then crash on a 1/10th inch of black ice.

Don't sweat it. I have maybe a shot or two but all made with dslr not compact camera. It is fun just to see the images roll in.
12-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have my fingers crossed. Not just for the contest, but because I'm an employee of a college and I get snow days
12-05-2016, 10:39 PM - 4 Likes   #11

Just posted this in the wrong place. Another try and apologies:

We don't see much snow in my part of Canada (none for last two years) so I had to dig into my archive and fetch a picture from 2014 on Quadra Island. This snowfall stuck me in place for several days due to lack of winter tires and no snow clearing. Shot with an Olympus Pen (1960 version) half frame camera loaded with Rollei Superpan 200. I have no memory of the exposure values. It is one my favourite cameras - small, solid, manual, great optics.

Ha! Just as I was about to press send I noticed it is snowing. If it sticks, I should be able to make a more recent photo.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pentax-compact-cameras/333022-point-sho...#ixzz4S28ZNGbt
12-06-2016, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ehpem Quote

We don't see much snow in my part of Canada (none for last two years) so I had to dig into my archive and fetch a picture from 2014 on Quadra Island. This snowfall stuck me in place for several days due to lack of winter tires and no snow clearing. Shot with an Olympus Pen (1960 version) half frame camera loaded with Rollei Superpan 200. I have no memory of the exposure values. It is one my favourite cameras - small, solid, manual, great optics.

Ha! Just as I was about to press send I noticed it is snowing. If it sticks, I should be able to make a more recent photo.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pentax-compact-cameras/333022-point-sho...#ixzz4S28ZNGbt
I love this pic. Not to be funny, but I thought it snowed regularly in all of Canada, so I "googled" Quadra Island. What a beautiful place.
12-06-2016, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #13

I love this pic. Not to be funny, but I thought it snowed regularly in all of Canada, so I "googled" Quadra Island. What a beautiful place.
Thanks!
Quadra is a beautiful island - I am lucky enough to have a research project going up there that gives me a few weeks in boats along some of the less accessible shorelines, and otherwise in idyllic locations. Quadra, or parts of it, get quite a bit more snow than my home town, Victoria, which is a few hundred km south.
12-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ehpem Quote

This photo made me smile large! I know what that is like, being stuck for days. This is a stunning photo! Love the black standing out on the fence and in the road. Well done! Those trees really are loaded down!

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 10:39 AM ----------

Some good shots already on the December Point and Shoot Competition. Looking forward to seeing some more great shots of Black on Snow!

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 10:45 AM ----------

Some good shots already on the December Point and Shoot Competition. Looking forward to seeing some more great shots of Black on Snow!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pentax-compact-cameras/334955-point-sho...#ixzz4S4qRZ25f
12-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by dustyroadphotos Quote
This photo made me smile large! I know what that is like, being stuck for days. This is a stunning photo! Love the black standing out on the fence and in the road. Well done! Those trees really are loaded down!
Thanks dustyroad. It was a stunning day. Those trees made me anxious to walk under them, it seemed inevitable that we they would loose their loads of wet snow down our necks. I took lots of photos, most of them half-frame diptychs and triptychs (I shoot multiple frames to be scanned as single image, often quite abstract). This was the simplest shot of the bunch. If the rules allow posting more than one shot in a competition, then I might post one or two of those multi-tyches as well.