Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ehpem Quote
Thanks dustyroad. It was a stunning day. Those trees made me anxious to walk under them, it seemed inevitable that we they would loose their loads of wet snow down our necks. I took lots of photos, most of them half-frame diptychs and triptychs (I shoot multiple frames to be scanned as single image, often quite abstract). This was the simplest shot of the bunch. If the rules allow posting more than one shot in a competition, then I might post one or two of those multi-tyches as well.
I'd be interested in seeing those.

12-07-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
J.. a picture from 2014 on Quadra Island. This snowfall stuck me in place for several days due to lack of winter tires and no snow clearing. Shot with an Olympus Pen (1960 version) half frame camera loaded with Rollei Superpan 200. I have no memory of the exposure values. It is one my favourite cameras - small, solid, manual, great optics.

Ha! Just as I was about to press send I noticed it is snowing. If it sticks, I should be able to make a more recent photo.
Wonderful photo, Ehpem!
12-07-2016, 11:19 PM - 2 Likes   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Thanks zman! Here is an. I am pretty busy right now so will stick with just this fence diptych (or fliptych as I like to call them when I flip the camera 180 between shots). Maybe in a few days can pull another couple.

---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Wonderful photo, Ehpem!
Thanks Bart!
12-08-2016, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks zman! Here is an. I am pretty busy right now so will stick with just this fence diptych (or fliptych as I like to call them when I flip the camera 180 between shots). Maybe in a few days can pull another couple.

Thanks Bart!
Thanks for showing extra shots from that unusual camera. I didn't quite get how it works, so I researched it a bit. Seems to produce very sharp images. Very cool.

12-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Thanks Bart!
Very creative effect, Ephem
12-10-2016, 10:01 PM - 2 Likes   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Very creative effect, Ephem
Thank you Bart. Here is another fliptych from the same roll and same snowstorm:

---------- Post added 12-10-16 at 11:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Hi zman, here is another example - a diptych where I tried to line things up as near to perfectly as possible. Tricky because the frame lines in the viewfinder are too small by about 11%, and I always do these things handheld so you have to visualize in detail what you are doing from one shutter click to another (including the manual wind by rolling a wheel with thumb, usually means taking camera from eye). Some luck involved too. This is, I think, my best half frame shot of all I have taken, and is another from same roll/snowstorm as the others I have posted here. Not sure this is the right place to be posting these, but what the heck....Someone will probably set me straight.

12-11-2016, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

That snowstorm provided you with some wonderful photo opportunities, Ephem!
Great use of the half frame camera.

12-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster

Thanks Bart!
I am so impressed by this camera!

---------- Post added 12-11-16 at 01:44 PM ----------

Thank you Bart. Here is another fliptych from the same roll and same snowstorm:

---------- Post added 12-10-16 at 11:10 PM ----------

Hi zman, here is another example - a diptych where I tried to line things up as near to perfectly as possible. Tricky because the frame lines in the viewfinder are too small by about 11%, and I always do these things handheld so you have to visualize in detail what you are doing from one shutter click to another (including the manual wind by rolling a wheel with thumb, usually means taking camera from eye). Some luck involved too. This is, I think, my best half frame shot of all I have taken, and is another from same roll/snowstorm as the others I have posted here. Not sure this is the right place to be posting these, but what the heck....Someone will probably set me straight.
Absolutely amazing work!
12-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by dustyroadphotos Quote
I am so impressed by this camera!

---------- Post added 12-11-16 at 01:44 PM ----------

Absolutely amazing work!
Thank you! It is a totally competent camera, even if until a CLA it only has two shutter speeds...
12-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks dustyroad. It was a stunning day. Those trees made me anxious to walk under them, it seemed inevitable that we they would loose their loads of wet snow down our necks. I took lots of photos, most of them half-frame diptychs and triptychs (I shoot multiple frames to be scanned as single image, often quite abstract). This was the simplest shot of the bunch. If the rules allow posting more than one shot in a competition, then I might post one or two of those multi-tyches as well.
Hi, The contest allows up to 3 images to be entered.
12-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thank you! It is a totally competent camera, even if until a CLA it only has two shutter speeds...
Lovely images, and awesome to see another film shooter doing entries! You clearly only need two shutter speeds to realize your vision.

Question: Is your Pen one of the half-frame scale focus models? I have the Pen FT SLR, and have been really enjoying it, and hoping Santa will bring me more than the one lens. Having only one lens for a camera is like having ONE rock'em sock'em robot.
12-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by dustyroadphotos Quote
Hi, The contest allows up to 3 images to be entered.
Thanks for the info - I have reached my limit!

---------- Post added 12-11-16 at 09:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Lovely images, and awesome to see another film shooter doing entries! You clearly only need two shutter speeds to realize your vision.

Question: Is your Pen one of the half-frame scale focus models? I have the Pen FT SLR, and have been really enjoying it, and hoping Santa will bring me more than the one lens. Having only one lens for a camera is like having ONE rock'em sock'em robot.
Thank you Unixrevolution. It is an original Pen (well, from year 2 of production, 1960, with one or two tiny differences, like two strap lugs, from 1959 original). It is a half frame and scale focus lens with a veiwfinder, not a coupled rangefinder. The lens is a D.Zuiko 28mm/f3.5. I did a post about it while I was waiting for my first roll of film to come back, and indeed this camera was the one that got me back into film shooting, for a variety of reasons. That post, with lots of pictures of the camera and not very knowledgeably written technical info can be seen here: Restless for Film | burnt embers

Quite a few of my posts with half-frame photos can be found at: this link:
12-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #28
Pentaxian

No snow here yet!
12-18-2016, 05:17 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some great entries! Here's one from today's Audubon count with my iPhone 7s.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
12-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Some great entries! Here's one from today's Audubon count with my iPhone 7s.
David, that is a wonderful photo with the iPhone. Did you post edit? I really like that blend. Thank you for entering.