Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #16
Igilligan

Hey Skid....

Love the truck graveyard... As a boy I found truck/tractor grave yard, just a bike ride past the edge of town. That summer my cousin and I spent a lot of time driving those trucks and plowing those fields. And not one moved an inch.

Thanks for the memories....

08-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I still have three Coolpix 2500's and one 3500. I liked them so much I bought several on eBay when they got real cheap. I use them as "beat around" cameras, always one in my glove box, computer bag, etc.
Don't take this the wrong way, but my five year old LOVES the 2500 and considers it "his." He never misses an opportunity to take photos with it when he sees it in my bag. A while back I posted a photo taken with this camera myself. I have a lot of respect for what it will do.

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Actually, I tried to make the truck photo look like an old colorized black and white, but not too much. The original actually has very vivid colors. I guess I should have left it the way it was.
No, no... I like it. I've used this technique myself and knowing that camera and how vivid the colors could be, I was pretty sure it was intentional. I find the subject matter interesting, and I think your treatment enhances it.

And yes, I always welcome seeing originals of photos that have been post-processed, because it helps me to see and perhaps therefore learn from it.

Nice job with a very capable little camera.

Seaain
08-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Love the truck graveyard... As a boy I found truck/tractor grave yard, just a bike ride past the edge of town. That summer my cousin and I spent a lot of time driving those trucks and plowing those fields. And not one moved an inch.
Thanks for the memories....
My pleasure, I love stuff like this, the nostalgia of it, seeing how things were crafted when automation and computers did not exist. I love seeing representations of simpler times. They also make me wonder when each one died and how long have they been parked there. I also wonder how many kids drove these trucks around after being parked! It is amazing how we didn't car about how many wasp nests were in them back then!? kids these days wouldn't get in any of those trucks unless the power adapter functioned properly to plug in a Nintento DS.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Don't take this the wrong way, but my five year old LOVES the 2500 and considers it "his." He never misses an opportunity to take photos with it when he sees it in my bag. A while back I posted a photo taken with this camera myself. I have a lot of respect for what it will do.
no, not taken the wrong way. These little cameras have become the perfect camera what you described above. I even take mine when riding the four wheeler. If one bites the dust, you get get another for cheap! (while used supplies last). But, they have turned out to be tough little cameras to!

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
No, no... I like it. I've used this technique myself and knowing that camera and how vivid the colors could be, I was pretty sure it was intentional. I find the subject matter interesting, and I think your treatment enhances it.
Again, absolutely not taken wrong. I very much appreciate all your comments about my photos. I am glad you like the effect. I overlayed a black and white layer over the color one, then used an eraser brush with reduced opacity in key areas to get this effect.
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
Igilligan

Electro Macro Abstracto

My 3rd and final entry... No theme to the three shots I posted except maybe 'Confused'

Sony H2 and 3358 macro + a little help from Picasa2

08-08-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
Damn Brit

Here's a second shot from me.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-12-2008 at 12:09 AM.
08-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'll toss this one in to the mix for now. Still quite a few days to go, but hey maybe this post will bring attention to this thread if someone is browsing the most recent posts?

Panasonic FZ30 iso 80, f 5.6, 1/500
08-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #22
Kei

Hi,

First time entry here, this is one of my favorite shot taken in a trip to the zoo last winter. Pic taken with Fuji S700, a very capable P&S.

I think I did "auto correction" using the MS picture editing program that came with Windows XP, no crop or PS as far as I can remember.

08-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #23

Ray of Life

Model: Canon PowerShot S80
Exposure: 1/640 sec
Aperture: f/2.8

08-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

How about an IR image taken with an old 2mp panasonic FZ1v2, with an r72 filter fitted on the front. This camera is especially good to use for IR.

Just something a little different to remind those who may have subscribed to this thread...to enter! You can enter more than 1 shot. Come on, it is FUN!
08-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok, here is one from me.
I shot this with my black berry cell phone overlooking downtown Hollywood.

I have a couple more at home from my G9. Will post up later.
08-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #26
Igilligan

Oh wow....

That is a great shot from the blackberry... WOW
08-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shot with Pentax Optio Z10. Used "fisheye" processing in camera and also went for grain.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images

08-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Gosh, I do not have allot of recent point and shoot stuff.
Here is one about a week or so old. Canon G9
08-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

These images where taken by my Son Daniel (8 years old) on his trip up north. I wish I where there, for while quality wise, he has and can do much better, in his haste, he forgot to compose and was machine gun kellying it. lol...i have never seen a wild vulture and in the city no less...
These where shot with a Fuji S9100

08-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All:

Sorry I've been absent. I just underwent cervical spine surgery. They replaced a severely herniated disk at C6-C7. The replacement is hardware of course. The following is not my P&S Contest entry... it's a photo of my "upgrade."

Anyway...

Igilligan ... Gus... WHAT it THAT?!! Is that a fish eye? Is that why it is titled "Confused?"

Brit... nice bee among the flowers. I can never make these shots come out very well, try as I might.

LaRee ... a Sunflower is a Sunflower is a... NOT! THAT is gorgeous. The color rendition is beautiful, the sharpness is breathtaking, and the angle you used is very compelling. Very nicely done. The IR image is really good too, but I can't make out what I am looking at. Is that Joshua Tree? Or what kind of tree is that?

Kei - Welcome aboard. Nice shot. I have been thinking about buying an S700 on the strength of my S5100 which is dated but not completely irrelevant. Funny that I used that camera to sort of get to buying a K10D and then after learning the K10D realized just how bloody much functionality those little Fujis really have. I take it everywhere and kind of want to take the next step up. S700 is at a very nice price point right now.

ishou80 - very nice. I like your photograph very much.

jgredline - thanks as always for the views of LA. Hey LaRee... that gorgeous picture you took under the pier that was in the other contest I judged... I tried that same shot about 30 times from under the pier on which Javier is standing in his second shot. Nice day on the beach shot. The one of Hollywood captures it very well too. I have to say that familiarity with a place can often make a photo really come alive.

also jgredline - your son is duly entered and certainly has it for most horrific street scene... heh. Actually I am ** most ** jealous. That's the second extreme close up of a Vulture I have seen on this board this week. Do you know how long I have been trying to get this close to a Turkey Vulture? The one time I did recently he was directly back lit by a setting sun so I got a GREAT silhouette. Your son did VERY well given how surprised and scared I'll bet he was.

Nice job folks... keep them coming.

Seaain (woof!)