Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #31
Igilligan

Hope you are well...

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
All:

Sorry I've been absent. I just underwent cervical spine surgery. They replaced a severely herniated disk at C6-C7. The replacement is hardware of course. The following is not my P&S Contest entry... it's a photo of my "upgrade."

Anyway...

Igilligan ... Gus... WHAT it THAT?!! Is that a fish eye? Is that why it is titled "Confused?"

Seaain (woof!)
Seaain,
Oh my goodness.. how are you doing? How long is your rehabiltation time?

With all the advances in medicine and materials that sure looks like something you could buy at the hardware store......

Hope your recovery is quick and as painless as possible. These backs of ours just dont seem like they were meant to be put thru what we put them thru...
I look forward to hearing how you are doing...

ps. that shot is the top of a glass insulator like you see on the old telephone poles...

08-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Seaain,
how are you doing? How long is your rehabiltation time?
Ahhhh.... an insulator. I would have sworn it was a macro of a fish eye.

I am doing well, thanks... thanks for asking. Total recovery time is a long time because I lost strength in my right arm, but I'll be driving and going back at work by the 2nd. So surgery to back to work in 10 days. Technology is an amazing thing.

I have lingering weakness in my right side (it was hard to hold my camera today with an 85-210mm) and I have some lingering numbness in my forefingers, but that is going away in the last day or so.

I'll get the strength back. Before this happened I was swimming 8 miles a week and was going for 12. It'll take me 6 to 8 months of work, but I'll be back to 100% before too long.

woof!
08-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #33
Damn Brit

Good luck with the recovery Seaain, nothing like back pain is there?
I've been suffering too, I've got a tear at T4/T5. Makes you wonder if we wouldn't have been better off on all fours.
Thanks for the comment on the flower and bee.
Take care.
08-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Seaain, hope you recover quickly. Please don't push too hard, too soon. Many athletes make that mistake. Maybe use lighter lenses for a while (good reason for a pancake or new P&S). Best wishes.
thanks
barondla

08-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Good luck with the recovery Seaain, nothing like back pain is there?
Nothing worse. I've broken more than a few bones and torn my share of muscles. Back pain is the worst. Mine just would not let up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I've been suffering too, I've got a tear at T4/T5.
Take care.
Gary, I am sorry to hear that. I hope it does not come to surgery for you. Feel better real soon. Take good care of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Seaain, hope you recover quickly. Please don't push too hard, too soon. Many athletes make that mistake. Maybe use lighter lenses for a while (good reason for a pancake or new P&S). Best wishes.
Thanks barondla... Good ideas. I won't push. By the end of the day today I went to the F 50mm f/1.7... ahhhh much better. I don't use it too much but this is a good time to really learn that lens. I think I'll also stop putting off the monopod purchase. Good time to use some of my old film cameras too. They are definitely light compared to the K10D.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Take care!

woof!
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Throwing my hat into the ring...took my new olympus 770 and 850 to aruba on the family vacation. I think these are all with the 850, but I tagged them as the 770.

08-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow, woof..Sorry to hear that...Glad to hear you are doing better and will be better when it is all said and done...

On a side note, are you still thinking of selling your 56 pentax?
09-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nothing gets easier. This contest was no exception. Here are the results:

1. First Place: LaRee for an outstanding image of a sunflower.
2. Second Place: Gus/Igilligan for a very nice portrait at the beach. This is what point and shoot cameras are for, and you took that mandate very far indeed. I really love the post processing here.
3. Third Place: skid2964 for the Truck Graveyard.

There were a lot of close calls here. Unfortunately I do not have time to go into all of them now. Sufice to say that selection was not easy, and that in the end it all reflected MY taste and sensibilities and really had little to do with my ability as a judge of content or technical merit.

Congrats to all, nice showing!

Seaain
woof!

09-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A great choice woof.
I had it between Skids junk yard image and Laree's flower as well...
09-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter

congrats LaRee and Igilligan!
Thanks for 3rd place!
Makes me very glad I stopped and took the pic, I almost didn't!

Now, I need to find what trouble I can get into with my new Optio w60.
09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Congratulations to all the winners. Another great contest. Just keeps getting better every month.

Thanks
barondla
09-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #42
Damn Brit

Congratulations all.
09-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Thank you Seaain! I am glad you liked that shot. There were many good images submitted this time. I hope to keep seeing more entries as this contest gets noticed more.
I'll start new one right away.

Yeesh, I'm sorry Seaain. I meant to ask you how you are feeling. The surgery you had sounds serious. I hope you are mending well. I'm waiting for a surgeons call and may be going in this week sometime. Dang stubborn kidney stone has wreaked a mess on my innards.
09-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well LaRee. Lately, winning the contest seems linked to medical problems. Hope every one recovers soon. Get well and keep shooting.
thanks
barondla
09-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #45
Igilligan

Well I am honored

Seaain, thank you for your supportive comments on my shot. And for the top 3 finish. I am proud since as a color shot I really blew it. Sometimes B&W is the right choice even if it is the only choice
I hope your recovery is coming along nicely and that you will be out taking shots with the biggest lens you can throw on that camera soon.

Congrats to LaRee, I knew when I saw that sunflower it was a done deal...

And Skids... I had you up at the top also with the truck graveyard...

What a great bunch of pics in this P&S challenge... Hopefully I got some more for next time.

Good luck to all in the next one.