Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Point & shoot contest # 10

I am very honored to kick off POTW #10. Same rules as last two contests... as follow:

Rules of entry

1. ANY camera other than a slr/dslr is eligble.
2. Entries will end on August 31st midnight central US time.
3. Maximum image dimensions are 800 X 800 pixels.
4. List camera BRAND, MODEL, and FORUM NAME with entry for all to see.
5. NO THEME! Post any subject.
6. Maximum of 3 photos per photographer.
7. Post processing is fine.
8. Winner will set up and judge next contest.
9. Remember to have FUN!

I picked August 31st because I got a late start on this (sorry folks) and wanted to run from Monday through a Sunday. I'll try to judge this on a very timely basis. Look for results to follow this date quickly so we can get back on track. To that end I'll be checking entries often and hope you will keep me quite busy...

Thank you all very much. I look forward to you submissions.

Kind regards,

Seaain

08-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Igilligan

OK, I will go first

Since my K100 is away at the repair shop... I decided to play with the PP on some old shots. This was a washed out color snap that I swapped to B&W and I really like how it came out.
From the greatest pocket cam at ISO 100... The Sony P200
08-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Since my K100 is away at the repair shop... I decided to play with the PP on some old shots. This was a washed out color snap that I swapped to B&W and I really like how it came out.
From the greatest pocket cam at ISO 100... The Sony P200
Gus... Two things that I really like... B&W and kids. But then you knew that didn't you?

Nice picture. As I said in another thread, though the camera made a lot of the decisions, I really like the resulting depth of field that leaves the salt grass in the left background so soft. Now that I look at it, the salt grass to the right also starts to get soft. Did you apply any PP beyond simple B&W conversion?

Overall a great effect and a very nice conversion indeed. Expressions are great, and they are both beautiful children.

Seaain
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Point and Shoot contest #10

Looks like we are starting off with a family theme. Nice daughters Gus.
Here's my father in law in the sea off Oahu.
No PP only crop.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-12-2008 at 12:09 AM.
08-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Igilligan

Gary I love the hat in the water... nice...
08-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I was going to lighten the shadow but he's an ugly Mo Fo.
Gotta love the WP for splashing around.
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Igilligan

Busted...

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Gus... Two things that I really like... B&W and kids. But then you knew that didn't you?

Nice picture. As I said in another thread, though the camera made a lot of the decisions, I really like the resulting depth of field that leaves the salt grass in the left background so soft. Now that I look at it, the salt grass to the right also starts to get soft. Did you apply any PP beyond simple B&W conversion?

Overall a great effect and a very nice conversion indeed. Expressions are great, and they are both beautiful children.

Seaain

Seaain
Oh I am so busted... Thanks so much for the positive comments...
I did do some blur on some of the grass. I thought it gave it some depth that it was lacking. I am brand new to the PP blurry thing and may have cheesed it up a bit, but I still love how it turned out. Finally downloaded picassa... Maybe soon a new comp and a real PP program, but I have been saying that for 2 years...

08-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
Igilligan

Can you tell I am missing my camera...

Since it says three per week... I will also submit again....

She dreams of elephants

Sony H2 getting all artsy...
08-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #9

Here's one of mine..

Worker removing my 50ft Pine Tree... Shot with Casio EX-Z80
08-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice pics in this contest. Thought i'd add one taken with my fuji finepix f10

Last edited by ivoire; 04-18-2009 at 09:23 AM.
08-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #11

Macro photo from my (now sold) Pentax Optio S. It's a photo of the tiny snow flowers that can be seen on the lawn.

08-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P&S #10 Submissions

Perdido Key, Florida - Nikon Coolpix 2500

Cedar Key, Florida - Nikon Coolpix 2500

Somewhere in central Florida - Nikon Coolpix 2500

Last edited by skid2964; 08-05-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: reformat text
08-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Seaain
Oh I am so busted... Thanks so much for the positive comments...
I did do some blur on some of the grass. I thought it gave it some depth that it was lacking. I am brand new to the PP blurry thing and may have cheesed it up a bit, but I still love how it turned out. Finally downloaded picassa... Maybe soon a new comp and a real PP program, but I have been saying that for 2 years...
No! Not cheezy AT ALL. Keep experimenting. I like what you've done. Rules say PP is perfectly acceptable! At first I thought it was the camera. Love that effect on the left side. The blur on the right side gave it away... when I saw that it had to be either PP or the lens is ... well... I really pretty much knew it was not the lens. But I DO like it. Somewhat like a tilt-shift effect, helps frame and focus the eye on the subjects. Well done.

"She dreams of elephants" is interesting too. I like that as well. I sometimes frequent JPGMAG.com, and this is just the kind of material that sometimes gets a lot of positive comments over there...

Seaain
08-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
skid2964...

Coolpix 2500 was my first digital and I still have it and use it on occasions where I need a compact. It is capable of some very nice pictures... which you have yourself proven here. Love the color of the water in the first two. Last one looks a bit desaturated... just out of interest, did you add that effect in PP?

Those look either like old Military or possibly mosquito control trucks. Any idea/history? Vintage appears to be circa 40's on some. My favorite truck is the '42 Ford Pickup...

woof!
08-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have three Coolpix 2500's and one 3500. I liked them so much I bought several on eBay when they got real cheap. I use them as "beat around" cameras, always one in my glove box, computer bag, etc.

Thank you for your comments.

Actually, I tried to make the truck photo look like an old colorized black and white, but not too much. The original actually has very vivid colors. I guess I should have left it the way it was. The colors are accurate, just desaturated to make it look old. I can post the original after the contest is over.

The trucks appear to be simply work trucks that were abandoned as their usefulness went away. They start very old from the left, 1910 or so, then gradually go all the way up to a mid-seventies model. Several trucks are out of view on the right. I have pics of those also. Along with the original, I can post those later also.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
skid2964...

Coolpix 2500 was my first digital and I still have it and use it on occasions where I need a compact. It is capable of some very nice pictures... which you have yourself proven here. Love the color of the water in the first two. Last one looks a bit desaturated... just out of interest, did you add that effect in PP?

Those look either like old Military or possibly mosquito control trucks. Any idea/history? Vintage appears to be circa 40's on some. My favorite truck is the '42 Ford Pickup...

woof!