Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I wholeheartedly agree with barondla, please don't drop the P&S section.

I only discovered this site today and have only registered today but feel as though I need to stick up for P&S camera users, big-time! I didn't realise when I registered that it was predominantly non-P&S. I feel a bit alienated now!

After my very first Pentax, the Optio S50, I will never turn back - I will always want Pentax. It was an amazing camera, obviously not a DSLR and probably compared to most of you, I'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to photography.

matjazz says, I quote:-
"I think P&S users aren't so involved in photography". We may not be so involved, but I personally strive for a camera that gives me 100% good quality photographs. In fact, I'm always accused of being a perfectionist and I can only describe the photographs I took with my Optio S50 as perfection, even if I do say so myself!

Any comments would be very much appreciated please, to stop me being paranoid now about being a P&S user on this site! ;-))

12-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to see it as an all-brand p & s section, not just Pentax, so I could post photos from my beloved little Fuji F11
12-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about letting other P&S brands in here. It is the Pentax forum. I do think Pentax needs to work on their P&S cameras. They need to ask Pentax people what they want- like they did with the K10D. They seem to be missing the target - even with lots Pentax slr owners. I sell their P&S cameras, along with other brands, at the store. They seem to be geared more (now) to the "lifestyle" market. Don't think the Pentax slr owners are in this category. I would like an update of the 550,555,750 type camera. Little more than 3X zoom (they had 5X) a hotshoe, and RAW capability. I still want the optical viewfinder too. The only Pentax P&S that are really tempting to me is the WP20 and the 10MP one. If they would add manual exposure and RAW to the WP20 it would do. I could give up the viewfinder and 5X zoom for water proofing. The Olympus 720 interests me too. As does the Panasonic LX2 (with RAW and 4X zoom).
Not saying Pentax P&S are bad just that they have a lot that are very similar. How many lifestyle cams do they need? A little diversity would be nice.
Don't underestimate P&S cameras. I have seen shots like extreme macro that are very hard to beat with DSLR and macro lens. Also some birding pics.
thanks
barondla
12-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
I'd like to see it as an all-brand p & s section, not just Pentax, so I could post photos from my beloved little Fuji F11
Feel free to discuss it in the General Talk section for now, but later down the road, I may add a small category for each of the other major brands.

You're welcome to post any non-Pentax pics in the "Post your photos" section, but remember to tell us what camera it was taken with!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

just call it "digital camera discussion" lose the pentax only tag.. when u collect some none dslr users.. u then create new homes for them as and when they arrive..

an alternative title could be "none dslr discussion"

the bulk of your users are "refugees" from the over crowded dpreview pentax dslr forum..

folks tend to go for the busy place and ignore the less busy places.. some of the dpreview overspill have moved here.. but the bulk for obviouse reason are dslr users.

sadly thow dpreview is still your best source of new punters..

trog
10-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the general Pshooter posts.

While we favour the K-Mount, pentax isn't exactly strong in the P&S dept. (Their folded 7x optical zoom was pretty kool though and that standard 3X zoom seems rather popular with Optio models, Casio and has even been found on Nikon models.) Another reason could be that P&S is far less specified so there's a larger tendency of other brands to get into the picture.
03-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm going to unstick this thread since it's no longer relevant, but the fact remains that the P&S section is the our only discussion forum with under 1,000 posts- it looks so tiny amidst all the other boards with post counts well into 5 digits!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #23

Adam...I have been gone for a few months. But I now am the owner( happy ??) of the 750z. I can not find any disscussion re this camera..??? Jim