Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The P&S purchase has been made. And the winner is...

Drum roll please....... BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA

The Samsung NV24HD

I have always loved the look and feel of the NV series, but was skeptic of the IQ and features. It has never gotten much praise for some reason but no one has ever really bashed it either, go figure.

Well based on my wants and needs and numerous internet articles and reviews I narrowed it down to that NV24HD and the Canon G9. I was still having a hard time making a decision but it needed to be made this week because 1. I was going to need it for next weekend and 2. The 10% off coupon for Circuit City expired today.

So on a whim I went to one of my favorite camera sites again and came across this article, Editor's Choice 2008: Standard Compacts - - PopPhotoJune 2008 and that is where the story ends. They had my top two camera choices in a comparison and the Canon wasnt the winner, so I went with the Samsung. Which I must say I am happy as heck with because I honestly dont think I could sleep well at night knowing that I just dropped $400 on a Canon product. My disdain for Canon will continure to hold fast and I can look at myself in the mirror with pride.

A camera like the G9 is great, but I would probably vomit if the phrase "Wow, this camera is incredible!" ever came out of my mouth while I was holding a Canon. But now that Nikon has the Coolpix P6000 coming out, I could live with myself owning that, or better still perhaps Pentax will get off their asses and produce a camera in that category for me to work with.

But for now I am happy that I was able to 'keep it in the famliy' and go Samsung.

08-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Get some shots posted Buddha, what are you waiting for?

Gary
08-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cant, it hasnt gotten here yet. Should be here on Tuesday.
08-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Cant, it hasnt gotten here yet. Should be here on Tuesday.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhh

08-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new purchase! I'm glad to know you did not stray on the path to Canon.

While my P&S was bought in 2003, I can say I am still very happy with the results I get from my Optio S. Who needs to upgrade?
08-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Congratulations on the new camera. Can't wait to see the images. Will have to check this model out. Glad you skipped Canon.
Bet Pop is in trouble! they picked a camera above the Canon. Whoa. Did notice there was a Pentax in the mix. Good since many think they don't have strong P&S showing.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 in P&S forum. Enter #10. Any type camera except slr. Any sbrand. Any subject. Enter now.
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Buddha, what's the difference between the nv24 and the nv40?

Doesn't matter, I see the nv24 is ultra wide.
Gary
08-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, the main difference is the focal length, the NV24 is a perfect compact version of an SLR with the Tamron 24-75mm on it, which was my favorite walk around lens when I owned it. The 720p video recording is also a nice added bonus.

08-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Congrats BJ, it's nice to have a handy P&S when you don't want to lug the DSLR, sharing you couple of shots my teenage daughter took when she went to Ottawa and taken with the Pentax A40. Looking forward to your shots.

Cheers,

Rene

Last edited by Rener; 08-10-2008 at 05:28 PM.
08-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IT BROKE!!!

After one damn day, it broke. I am so pissed!!

P&S? More like POS!!!

I should of just bought the DA70LTD like I had planned from the get go, but noooo!

In short, I give up.
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Unlucky. Don't be so unhappy. It happens.
08-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What about a 18-250? That would solve your problem and make your gf happy since it'll be a one-lens solution.

Heather
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
IT BROKE!!!

After one damn day, it broke. I am so pissed!!

P&S? More like POS!!!

I should of just bought the DA70LTD like I had planned from the get go, but noooo!

In short, I give up.
What happened?????
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
What happened?????
I went to turn the thing on this morning to get some of the sample shots off of it from last night and it wouldnt turn on. And then when it finally came on the lens zoomed out but there was nothing on the screen and it wouldnt function, and it wouldnt turn back off. It was pretty much hosed after that.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
What about a 18-250? That would solve your problem and make your gf happy since it'll be a one-lens solution.

Heather
Well I was looking for something compact more than I was a one lens solution. I think I will resort to losing the battery grip and using the DA35LTD and the DA70LTD. They are pretty small and should work well together. As soon as my card is refunded I will be making that purchase.
08-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
Damn Brit

I'm so sorry Buddha, I know you've bee planning on buying a p&s for a while now.
Oh well, shit happens.
Gary