Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

DCU and GR ll

I find that DCU 5 handles my K1 files just fine, matching the settings I have chosen (Bright or whatever). With the GRll it seems to revert to some kind of dull starting point, and ignores the camera settings. Should I be using a different version of DCU for the GR?

04-23-2017, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
I find that DCU 5 handles my K1 files just fine, matching the settings I have chosen (Bright or whatever). With the GRll it seems to revert to some kind of dull starting point, and ignores the camera settings. Should I be using a different version of DCU for the GR?
Having never bothered with DCU beyond a cursory poke-around several years ago, I can't answer definitely but... DCU is a Pentax specific product and if I had to guess, what you're experiencing is likely just the result of a difference in RAW files and cameras. DCU can emulate all the in-camera JPG tweaks available to a Pentax camera for which is was made. I imagine when working with Ricoh GR files it is likely simply showing you the untouched RAW file without changes.

I assume you're shooting RAW+ and expecting in-camera color/effect setting to show up in DCU, yes? Hopefully someone else here can provide a better answer.
Do you have the most recent update for DCU-5 applied to your installation?? If you look through the change-log of updates, it seems quite a bit was added over time for GRII....
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/dc_utility5_win.html

(Personally I do all editing/processing within Lightroom only these days, and only occasionally use JPGs for reference and ballparking the shot whilst shooting unless I'm using them for exclusively which I still do quite a bit.)

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-23-2017 at 10:53 AM.
04-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Having never bothered with DCU beyond a cursory poke-around several years ago, I can't answer definitely but... DCU is a Pentax specific product and if I had to guess, what you're experiencing is likely just the result of a difference in RAW files and cameras. DCU can emulate all the in-camera JPG tweaks available to a Pentax camera for which is was made. I imagine when working with Ricoh GR files it is likely simply showing you the untouched RAW file without changes.

I assume you're shooting RAW+ and expecting in-camera color/effect setting to show up in DCU, yes? Hopefully someone else here can provide a better answer.
Do you have the most recent update for DCU-5 applied to your installation?? If you look through the change-log of updates, it seems quite a bit was added over time for GRII....
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

(Personally I do all editing/processing within Lightroom only these days, and only occasionally use JPGs for reference and ballparking the shot whilst shooting unless I'm using them for exclusively which I still do quite a bit.)
Yes, I downloaded the latest one. There is a warning about the GRll, but a different issue. It appears to ignore any camera settings. I'm not shooting dng+. Just wondering why it doesn't do what it does with my K1 raws, since DCU also comes with the GR. Sometimes I get a look I like in camera, and want to see what DCU does with it. Mostly I use Lightroom and can get good results.

I tried to see if there was a Ricoh specific product on the website, but they listed DCU 5x as the one for the GRll.

Last edited by johnkrumm; 04-23-2017 at 11:26 AM.
04-23-2017, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
Yes, I downloaded the latest one. There is a warning about the GRll, but a different issue. It appears to ignore any camera settings. I'm not shooting dng+. Just wondering why it doesn't do what it does with my K1 raws, since DCU also comes with the GR. Sometimes I get a look I like in camera, and want to see what DCU does with it. Mostly I use Lightroom and can get good results.

I tried to see if there was a Ricoh specific product on the website, but they listed DCU 5x as the one for the GRll.
I guess my only other suggestion/question is - is your GRII up-to-date on firmware (ver 3.01 or thearabouts I think it is...)?
Hopefully someone else has thoughts. I'm empty.

04-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
I talked to Ricoh U.S. and whoever answers emails thinks that tomorrow's DCU update will fix it.