Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My MX1 froze today

Hello all,

I was at the park today when I attempted to take a pic with my MX1. I was shooting in aperture priority mode. I zoomed in, focused, then pressed the shutter. It instantly went black and just froze up. No instant review of the photo, nothing on the screen. The lens didn't move either. It stayed like this for a couple of minutes, nothing. I took the battery out and put it back in after a minute or so. After about 10 seconds it powered up and restarted. The screen came on, the lens retracted and reset to the starting position. Also, the picture I was trying to take was all white. It worked fine after that. Freaked me out!!

Any ideas what could have caused this? Anyone else experience this or other issues? I really like this little camera and it would suck it if it craps out.

05-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
My MX1 froze today
You may have to warm it up to melt the ice.
05-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This can happen, occasionally, with just about any camera. Lower battery voltage or high drain may increase the risk, but generally this isn't indicative of any particular failure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

We tend to think of our cameras as essentially mechanical devices, and assume all problems are mechanical in nature.

However, there's a ton of computing going on through those microprocessors - more than what sat on your desktop, back in the day.

Just like when after never being able to get the printer to work, the IT guy sighs, rolls his eyes, and re-starts your computer and printer, and everything works fine....

Of course, this is often why there are firmware updates, to clean up glitches in code that can trigger problems like yours.