Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Will there be any MX-2 ?

Just wondering, Will there be any MX-2 ?

Last edited by yusuf; 06-23-2017 at 10:57 PM.
06-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your guess is as good as anyone's But it's highly unlikely, I think. The compact camera market has all but died, and while It would seem there's still some limited demand for high-end fixed-lens models, the costs involved in producing and marketing such cameras probably only stack up if you can use large chunks of the platform elsewhere (e.g. mirrorless interchangeable systems)...
06-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think another premium compact would be very cool, but given the fate of the compact market in general, plus Pentax's focus on high-end DSLRs, I think there's little hope we'll see any original compacts out of Pentax anytime soon, if ever. Another part of the problem is that other brands- such as Sony with the RX100- already have super tempting offerings in this category that Pentax quite frankly would struggle to beat.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2017, 02:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A GR III would be a better investment for Ricoh: dust proof or weather sealed, flip screen, better high ISO performance. Please...

06-24-2017, 03:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
A GR III would be a better investment for Ricoh
I think that's more likely
06-24-2017, 03:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure there's much hope for any manufacturer in this segment, to be honest.

The fantastic Ricoh GR II had a competitor in the Nikon Coolpix A, but they've exited the market, obviously unable to sell enough of them.

06-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Who knows. I don't think it was very successful. If there ever is one it will have a larger sensor and a different concept. No use speculating because it would be an entirely different beast. Maybe even a mirrorless ILC. The mx-1 was really the same as a Olympus xz-2 in a different body. Pentax MX-1 vs Olympus XZ-2 iHS Detailed Comparison. It was made be Xacti in Indonesia. A spin of from Sanyo and producer of OEM cameras
06-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we got a very strong message in the last round of PID (Pentax Is Doomed) discussion that Ricoh Imaging were seriously consolidating their camera lines. I'm not sure compact is survivable any more unless it has some sort of flexibility, and that means interchangeable-lens, and for Pentax that basically means Q or some development thereof.

Even within Q, it means choosing one of the two sensor sizes as the one to move forward with and quietly letting the other one die. Yes, there are going to be losers whichever choice is made (and if Q is abandoned forever then the answer is "everybody").

06-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The mx-1 was really the same as a Olympus xz-2 in a different body.
Absolutely, and being a XZ-1 owner which is having the same phenomenal lens, I wish that lens could get company of a better sensor.
06-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #10

Probable sci-fi evolution in Pentax. GRIII with 24/2.0 lens, K-02 with EV, new DA Limiteds 21/2.4 , 40/2.0 , 70/1.8
06-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Absolutely, and being a XZ-1 owner which is having the same phenomenal lens, I wish that lens could get company of a better sensor.

The 1/1.7" sensor has totally disappeared from compact camera's. Higher end compacts now have 1" sensors. I don't think Ricoh will endeavour into that segment with a outsourced product but maybe the Q will re´ncarnate with a 1" sensor. That would only appeal to enthusiast Pentaxians though and we know there are not many left and those who are will resent having to reinvest in lenses that cover the 1" image circle.