Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Strange white flakes in my photos in Machu Picchu? Paranormal activity? :-o

Hi guys. I’d like to ask you all if you have ever seen something like this before.

These two photos were taken at Machu Picchu in September 2016 with a Pentax MX-1. As you can see, they have many strange white little «things» flying around. The photos were taken with a difference of six seconds from one another... in the second photo more of these «things» appeared. Original photos were taken in raw format, opened in Pentax’s Digital Camera Utiliy 5 and Saved As JPG with no processing. There are around five more photos in landscape and portrait orientation, with these same flakes. Some of them look like birds or butterflies but they aren’t.

Photo 1:
Date & Time: 27 Setember 2016 - 3:35:19 p.m.
Focal lenght: 6mm
Shutter speed: 1/320
Aperture: 2.8
Capture mode: Program
Metereing: Multi segment
White Balance: Automatic
ISO: 100
Shadow correction: ON
Exposure compensation +0.7 (left at that by error...)

Bigger size in: http://imgur.com/ogWLSYJ

Photo 2:
Date & Time: 27 Setember 2016 - 3:35:25 p.m.
Focal lenght: 6mm
Shutter speed: 1/400
Aperture: 2.8
Capture mode: Program
Metereing: Multi segment
White Balance: Automatic
ISO: 100
Shadow correction: ON
Exposure compensation +0.7 (left at that by error...)

Bigger size in: http://imgur.com/pIpLOTL

Other photos taken elsewhere in Machu Picchu the same date are clean. Also other photos made before and after the date above photos were taken in Cusco city, don't have these flakes.

Could they be dust particles inside the lens that were revealed when hit by the sun rays? The thing is that I don’t see a pattern that repeats in both photos, so probably this theory can be discarded.

But what could this be?... Some people say they are anges, fairies or ghosts or the «beings of light» that live in the area...

Last edited by Amoon; 07-18-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Edited to add direct links to real size photos
07-18-2017, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's almost certainly a cloud of midges, gnats, or flies.
07-18-2017, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

those look like mosquitoes to me
07-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is a crop of another photo where some of these things are over my head and one seems to be even below the lintel of the door with me. Please see the photos at their real size thank you!

Real size photo at: http://imgur.com/a/6oAFl

---------- Post added 07-18-17 at 04:35 PM ----------

And no, there weren't bugs,mosquitos or flies flying around or anything like that. Me or my girlfriend would have noticed them.

Last edited by Amoon; 07-18-2017 at 02:42 PM.
07-18-2017, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The pixies came to take revenge for all the pixies sacrificed to make the FA Limiteds.
07-18-2017, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #6

I've seen these before and they are insects or bugs or whatever you want to call them. I too did not notice them while taking photos but they sure show up when you get home. Take some photos at another location and see if they are still there? I bet they are not.
07-18-2017, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

They have the same chromatic aberration on them as other parts of the scene, so we can rule out anything on or in the camera, not to mention anything "paranormal" - whatever it was was real enough. The highlights in all those photos are extensively blown out due to over-exposure, so something small and reflective is going to appear out of proportion to its size. It looks to me like whatever they were, they were fairly close to the camera and moving quickly, as small insects often do when swarming.
07-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, these things are overexposed and reflecting the sunlight.

During the last months I was watching the photos and I had the impression that some of these insects(?) were very far away by the mountains, and some of them were closer and over the ruins.

I had this secret hope that they were angels or fairies... just kidding!

Thank you to all! but if someone has a different idea of what these white flakes could be, please let me know!!

07-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
I had this secret hope that they were angels or fairies... just kidding!

Thank you to all! but if someone has a different idea of what these white flakes could be, please let me know!!
It is the Pentax's famous PixelDust you are having.

I have never seen this on any of my image. Did you try snap photo from difference place / time to check if it show the similar effect?
07-18-2017, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Perhaps someone with epic dandruff is standing upwind. It is an optical phenomena - it doesn't look electronic. It could be dust or particulate matter in the air such as airborne plant seeds.
07-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
It is the Pentax's famous PixelDust you are having.

I have never seen this on any of my image. Did you try snap photo from difference place / time to check if it show the similar effect?
Hi. Yes, as I said in the first post, all other images are totally clean. Just the ones taken in this location were affected.
07-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's almost certainly a cloud of midges, gnats, or flies.
What he said ^ ^ ^

Steve
07-18-2017, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
And no, there weren't bugs,mosquitos or flies flying around or anything like that. Me or my girlfriend would have noticed them.
Explain the wings and general insect-like appearance. Yours is not the first post asking about the strange artifact (sometimes white and sometimes wraith-like shadows).

Steve
10-28-2017, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter