Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2017, 01:49 AM - 6 Likes   #1

Photos of Carnival in Venice taken 20 years ago with a Pentax Zoom 105-R camera

These are some of the photos taken by my wife during Carnival in Venice 20 years ago. In Venice we were surrounded by hundreds of professionals laden with SLRs and best lenses money can buy; still – despite being shot with a Pentax Zoom 105-R compact film camera universally recognized as purely amateur piece of equipment - the photos are not inferior to the results of the professionals’ coverage of the event I saw later.

Best
Jarek

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2017 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Removed link
08-14-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. Well, the 105-R was a full frame 35mm camera. In the digital age we are accustomed to thinking of amateur point-and-shoot or even superzoom cameras as being small-sensor. That wasn't really the case in the film era. A decent inbuilt lens could deliver images comparable to a SLR in many circumstances.
08-14-2017, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great pictures taken by your wife. She apparently has a good eye, sense for composition and knows how to approach people. It's proven once again that the quality of photographs depend much more on the photographer than on equipment.
08-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Nice shots. Well, the 105-R was a full frame 35mm camera. In the digital age we are accustomed to thinking of amateur point-and-shoot or even superzoom cameras as being small-sensor. That wasn't really the case in the film era. A decent inbuilt lens could deliver images comparable to a SLR in many circumstances.
I definitely agree: the film was the sensor, so with good quality optics, proper metering and focusing, everything depended on the photographer.
Best
Jarek

08-15-2017, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geedee Quote
Great pictures taken by your wife. She apparently has a good eye, sense for composition and knows how to approach people. It's proven once again that the quality of photographs depend much more on the photographer than on equipment.
And she did not take photographs on daily basis. I handed the camera to her just for the trip to Carnival in Venice and explained the basics. She is a natural talent.
Best
Jarek
08-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Superb images. She has an eye and talent. Both of you should be proud.
Thanks for sharing
barondla
08-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #7

Really beautiful.
Is it possible to get similar rendering/texture/color with a dslr, e.g. K3, with or without post processing?

08-17-2017, 03:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Superb images. She has an eye and talent. Both of you should be proud.
Thanks for sharing
barondla
Thanks. Your words make my wife proud of the photos and make me proud of her.
Best
Jarek

---------- Post added 08-17-17 at 03:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
Really beautiful.
Is it possible to get similar rendering/texture/color with a dslr, e.g. K3, with or without post processing?
This is a question I am unable to answer. My experience is with Pentax film cameras only. Maybe someone else in the forum will chime in and comment on this.
Best
Jarek