Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh GRII with viewfinder or other wide angle alternative?...

I'm just casually browsing GRII when I noticed it looks like it omits a optical view finder, just Live View only. Shame...

Is there an attachment that can be added on to the GRII for optical view finder? Ignore that, I saw that the premium kit does have a OVF then it does exist, looks like it adds quite a bit of bulk tho... so now I'm really not interested in a GRII

Is there another camera maker that produces something similar to the GRII with a OVF? Similar or even wider focal length etc but has OVF and is digital and not film?

EDIT: Basically I'm after a second more compact camera than the K-1, and the weakness in my K-1 arsenal (if I really have one), is a wide angle focal length (28mm or under) that has AF (my current 24-28mm lens for the K-1 are MF only).

I see photographers with a second camera on person, dropping their main (instead of lens swapping) and shooting with a secondary camera. And there are occasions whereby I'm not working professionally but wouldn't mind a decent pocket friendly camera (also for the wife etc to use).

It got me thinking... cost of a AF wide angle lens vs an actual entirely new compact camera with a fixed wide angle focal length.

Shoot me your suggestions! (with OVF)

Cheers,

Bruce

Last edited by BruceBanner; 08-17-2017 at 11:06 PM.
08-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Fuji X100 series is also a fixed lens aps-c point and shoot but has an OVF.
08-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

panasonic lx100

... but GR gives you more with its wide angle extension lens.
08-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The Fuji X100 series is also a fixed lens aps-c point and shoot but has an OVF.
IIRC, the GR's smaller. You can genuinely use it one-handed.

08-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
panasonic lx100

... but GR gives you more with its wide angle extension lens.
That's only got an m43 sensor, Cport!
08-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Fuji x100's are the only large sensor compacts with an OVF that I know of. Everything else uses an EVF or the LCD.

But, the 23mm f2 lens has the same field of view as a 35mm lens on your K-1 however, so it's not wider. There is a wide angle converter lens available that supposively works well but only takes you out to 28mm equivalent.

I've been toying with getting an X100 for a second body to complement my K-30 for a long time and I think I'm pretty close to making the decision. I've got a couple trips this winter and the amount of film I'd bring and shoot for my Olympus 35 RD would pay for a used X100 or X100S easily.

The wrench in the works for me is the X-Pro1 has come down in price and combined with the 18mm f2 pancake would be a nice smaller 2nd body that's far more flexible long term. Paralysis of choice.
08-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's only got an m43 sensor, Cport!
But still it is an alternative to GRII.

08-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But still it is an alternative to GRII.
Not as a premium, large sensored, small bodied, fixed lens compact, it isn't!

That's Ricoh, Leica, Fuji, even Sony RX-1 territory.
08-18-2017, 04:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

In terms of IQ and compactness, LX 100 is an alternative of Ricoh GR. And it does have an optical viewfinder. It is up to Bruce whether or not he accepts a zoom lens and different handling. Another option is to take any Fuji body having OVF and 18/2.
08-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The GR series has an issue with Dust sneaking through the body onto the sensor. I rented a GR for a week and loved how sharp the images were. The colors were really nice too, sometimes I just rocked the jpegs. I really really didn't like the idea of needing to disassemble the camera to solve for issues with dust. Dust could be prevented with careful use, but in the end I went with X100 mark1.

The x100 mark1 has focusing issues when close to your subject and/or in low light. Focus by wire isn't fun either, but the body is nice, the lens is nice, and the colors are nice.

I prefer the compact size of the GR and the menu / manual focusing settings were amazing. I was able to shoot and adjust setting super fast. Really, the best menu system I have used in my opinion.

In the end, I lost a little on the wide end, but I have a view finder and I don't have to worry about dust.
08-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote

I prefer the compact size of the GR and the menu / manual focusing settings were amazing. I was able to shoot and adjust setting super fast. Really, the best menu system I have used in my opinion.
Yeah, I've had a GR II for a month now, and can see why Eric Kim thinks it's the best street camera in the world.

08-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

In terms of IQ and compactness, LX 100 is an alternative of Ricoh GR. And it does have an optical viewfinder. It is up to Bruce whether or not he accepts a zoom lens and different handling. Another option is to take any Fuji body having OVF and 18/2.

The LX and every other premium compact including Leica and Sony have an electronic view finders (EVF), not an OVF. Only the x100 has an optical. I do agree that the LX is in the same family as the GR and X.
08-18-2017, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm just casually browsing GRII when I noticed it looks like it omits a optical view finder, just Live View only. Shame...

Is there an attachment that can be added on to the GRII for optical view finder? Ignore that, I saw that the premium kit does have a OVF then it does exist, looks like it adds quite a bit of bulk tho... so now I'm really not interested in a GRII

Is there another camera maker that produces something similar to the GRII with a OVF? Similar or even wider focal length etc but has OVF and is digital and not film?

EDIT: Basically I'm after a second more compact camera than the K-1, and the weakness in my K-1 arsenal (if I really have one), is a wide angle focal length (28mm or under) that has AF (my current 24-28mm lens for the K-1 are MF only).

I see photographers with a second camera on person, dropping their main (instead of lens swapping) and shooting with a secondary camera. And there are occasions whereby I'm not working professionally but wouldn't mind a decent pocket friendly camera (also for the wife etc to use).

It got me thinking... cost of a AF wide angle lens vs an actual entirely new compact camera with a fixed wide angle focal length.

Shoot me your suggestions! (with OVF)

Cheers,

Bruce
I use the GR with the additional optical VF and it is excellent.

It doesn't have any electronic focus indicators, but the way the green focus light is situated the focus indicator is still visible. It's a tiny piece of high=precision glass and not bulky at all. Slips on and off easily. Unlike a Sony RX100 Fit has the feel of real glass and is very bright and easy to look through with both 21 and 28mm lines. It is a superior framing device.

I also have the 21mm wide angle for the GR audit works very, very well. A little fussy to switch on and off, but it makes the GR into a landscape or wide and close camera from a predominantly street shoot wide to "normal" FL shooter. Works very well with he GV-1 optical VF as well.

Remember: The GR has two digital zooms which are very workable 35mm and 47mm. I use these a lot as my "zoom" because I don't always need 16MP. Keyed to my "effects' button on the side.

I also have the Macro conversion lens and it does very detailed close-up work.

The GR can do sub-macro close ups plus 21, 28,, 35, and 47mm, all with excellent optics and APS-C sensor quality.

To answer your question: No. Only the GR has an optical VF option. All the rest have an EVF.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 08-18-2017 at 10:31 AM.
08-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
Forum Member

I have been looking for a good compact camera.

GRII is expensive. If budget is an issue go for a Ricoh GRD IV or III.

GRD IV is a classic

08-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #15

I just dont know, if you want to keep it either more compact, or either more wide-angle-good-optics'n'digital. For the latter,
you would only have to check out a GR(or better a GRII) and buy an additional optical viewfinder. PERIOD. (stop reading here)

But if you are already thinking, "oh, no, i dunno... it should be more compact. Do i really want a wide angle prime or would a zoom be better?? sigh", then i have a little story for you:

The only compact camera that i would suggest right now, with a Viewfinder (but its EVF) is the RX100 V(f:1.8 at the 28mm equiv.). PERIOD.

IMHO, really no compact camera delivers the right bang for the buck, except this little beast. (and i am nearly 100% sure, that this is a fact and not only my oppinion)
(about 95% or more of the compact cameras lack a viewfinder, not to talk about those crappy sensor sizes. (1/3, 1/2.5, 1/2.33) if the camera-makers only could get away from that crap and all start to use at least 1/1.7 sensors... !!!

RX-1 is way too expensive.(and also the first RX-1 is too slow overall -system, not the lens)
and actually the only camera that comes to my mind that would fit the specs you stated you would need, would be the Canon G1X , BUT
the autofocus is very slow, so a showstopper for intuitive shots...
ASB, the only cam i honestly could suggest without having a doubt about anything, would be the "RX100 V" ! please, forget everything else, i searched for a very long time also but whatever i think i found,... either its just way too expensive for what it offers or its just normally-expensive crap that doesnt deliver anything ...

the only idea that comes to my mind if you want to keep it with ricoh-pentax, would also be (ASB) the GR or GRII but neither of those has a VF built in, (you could use an additional EVF, but i guess thats not the deal you are searchin for)
someone stated, that the GR has a dust problem.
only thing that comes to my mind here, that has a hq-sensor and a fast fixed-focal-length lens, has no viewfinder but is weather sealed and also waterproof up to 18m diving depth.
it is called the Sealife DC2000... its the same sensor one would find in some RX100 camera.
its not cheap, but i think, its darn good bang for the buck.

The only solution that would fit everything what you are looking for(if you want to keep it pentaxy), is no compact camera, but a mere Pentax K-70(OVF and relatively compact) with the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS mounted.(even the K-S1 would only be a bit smaller)

but if you want a really compact with a viewfinder(though not optical), give the RX100 V a try, or check out the Panasonic TZ-100/101/ DMC ZS-100(U.S. naming)

using a mirrorless system is an option, i also thought that (fujis, panas, whatsoevers...)
but NOTHIN, i repeat NOTHING is as compact and delivers as good as a Sony RX100 V. (its not aps-C sized, but the IQ is pretty close to a certain ISO value)
focus is lightning fast, on time is fast, 4k video(30p), slomo(so high speed recording at 120fps at 1080p or even 500fps at app. 1700x600 pixels, etc., etc.
24pictures per second burst shooting. et cetera, et cetera

my solution to that whole dilemma, that having normal 35mm-framing in a decent compact camera would cost a photographer at least 3000(Sony RX-1 II) or 4000(Leica Q) Dollars,
since we all are still waiting for that digital film canister...
that will make those cheapskates gnashing their teeth and start to produce neat and worthy cameras, was

tadaa: going analogue... and buying a canon 9000f scanner to acompany a nice analogue compact body with a good lens.