Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
practical question

Hi,

I'm looking into adding a P&S to the collection as a backup.
I'm facing a practical problem however. I've reached the age where I need glasses for short distances like reading, a pc monitor or an lcd screen on a P&S.
Any of you in the same situation?
If so, how do you work this? I mean, there's no diopter setting on the lcd screen.

08-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So wear glasses.
08-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most of us go through this in our mid forties and beyond. For the LCD you simply veiw it as you would read a book. I use multi-focal glasses, which allow veiwing from about any distance. Buy a P&S that has a view finder with a diopter adjustment. A LCD screen is almost useless in bright sunlite anyway. Problem solved. I have been doing it this way sucessfully for many years.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Hi,
I've reached the age where I need glasses for short distances like reading, a pc monitor or an lcd screen on a P&S.
If so, how do you work this? I mean, there's no diopter setting on the lcd screen.
08-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Big Dave. Multifocal glasses will solve the problem eventually but I'm still some years away from those: my distance sight is still ok.
The P&S cameras with viewfinder seem to be in a price range higher than I'm looking to spend.
It's the combination of using reading glasses for the screen and viewing the distance without glasses that seems cumbersome to me. Guess I'll have to make some choices.

@ Ahab: that's very funny.

08-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #5

Bart,
How about take out one lens of your reading glass and replace it with a regular clear lens, then you can use it to take pics with one eye and drive with the other?
08-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
How about take out one lens of your reading glass and replace it with a regular clear lens, then you can use it to take pics with one eye and drive with the other?
I suppose you don't know anybody who ever lost one contact lens.
No, a better solution would be to get multi-focal glasses and have the part for distant viewing set to "zero".
08-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm 68 and use progressive lenses and don't have any problems with LCD's.