here's a couple from recent times

lg v30 (from Oct.)

lg g4 (from Sept.)
Great play of light and shadow, Todd.
11-18-2017, 11:01 AM - 6 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q7 with 06 15-45 lens at 45. Still had to be cropped to get what I pre visualized.
Thanks for looking,
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
11-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Great entry with excellent composition, barondla.

11-20-2017, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All, I didn't want to leave this thread alone till the end, but I totally underestimated how busy this month was going to be for my job as well as at home! I'm not yet back to normal but it's sort of slowing down.

Anyway, I didn't come to the forum for a month or so and I'm delighted to find what I'm seeing here! Thank you all for great entries, you're making my job as a judge difficult. I'll make up my mind by tomorrow night, but in the mean time, I'd like to comment on your entries.
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
iPhone 6s edited in LR CC Mobile
John, great contrast of the organic tree shadows over geometric patterns of the building. I also like the tone of the picture. I don't know what you did with PP, but whatever you did, you didn't overdo, it looks pleasing and very tasteful to my eyes.

QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
Great theme, kwb! It took a while but I found one that might work. It's older and been cropped for a different project.
Tibetan Takin hiding in the shadows: Panasonic DMC FZ150 25mm, 1/200 sec @ f4.0 , ISO160.
chemtech, cool shadow pattern on takin's body. From your picture it looked like some kind of lean cattle but I didn't have any idea for sure, googled it, and wikipedia says it's goat-antelope! There are still many things to learn in this world.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barbara Fu Quote
Cool! I found the thread for fellow point-and-shoot-ers!
Barbara, I also like the idea of shadow-selfie but I haven't made anything that I really like myself yet. I like the eerie atmosphere of your #3!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Shadows is necessarily also about the light as well, I think. So, I tried to give both a hand in the processing.
Bart, I like the composition of #2. In addition, it makes me visualize the slow motion of the sun probably setting to the left of the frame because of the way the frost is left to the left of the shadows.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Dogs know that shadows are cool! Handsome dog!

QuoteOriginally posted by Titia Quote
Ok, I found one that could be suitable to the assignment. Without light there's no shadow.
QuoteOriginally posted by Titia Quote
Found another one. I call it 'The Dignitary'. A strange combination of a mushroom and a piece of liquorice
Titia, nice colors, lighting and shadows, indeed no light no shadows!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Night Shadows with the iPhone 7.
David, I don't know what this is (concrete wall? wooden deck?) but this certainly is a great abstract piece!

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
here's a couple from recent times
Todd, I really respect your ability to see these scenes this way. I might have passed without noticing the shadow/light interplay like these, I'll try to pay more attention in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax Q7 with 06 15-45 lens at 45. Still had to be cropped to get what I pre visualized.
balondla, great composition, and if I squint, the shadows look like a jaw of a huge monster that is about to attack the unsuspecting man!

Thank you again everybody, I'll come back tomorrow night to announce the winner!
11-21-2017, 02:00 AM - 2 Likes   #21
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, though the number of photos entered was probably smaller than previous contests (it should have been a tough theme!), that didn't make my job as a judge easy, as there are many pictures I wanted to promote and I can only choose three...

Without further ado, here are the winners!

#3, On the pier in Nieuwpoort, a frosty day by Bart, for parallel curves formed by light, shadows, frost and of course the rails eventually converging into a point. Great job highlighting both the light and shadows!

#2, (no title) by barondla, for using an interesting shadow repetition as a great compositional element. The man adds some kind of suspense, being pushed away to the left due to shadow pressure or something, I feel as if the picture is about to tell me some story though I cannot tell what that is. Making it B/W was also a great idea!

And finally, (drum roll....)

#1, Morning Shadows by John,
for the contrast between organic-shaped shadows and geometric lines of the building, and also that gorgeous blackness of the darkest part of the building entrance. Great job on PP too!

Thank you all for your entries and comments, congraturations to winners, and good luck John for the next round of competition! See you all there!
11-21-2017, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Congratulations to barondla and especially to John!
Thanks kwb, for this great theme and for my podium place

Congratulations to all the participants as well. This was again a great collection of fine entries!

Looking forward to Johns Competition.
Hope to see all of you there again.

11-21-2017, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Bart and winner john5100. Fantastic images. Ready to for the next contest. Thanks to kwb for the award and a well run contest.
Thanks,
barondla
11-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't been around for a while. Congrats to all winners and I'm looking forward to the next challenge.
12-04-2017, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #25
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
barondla will relieve john5100 to lead the next competition

Dear all,
it's been a while since the winners of this competition were announced. Unfortunately, according to john5100's profile, his last activity on this forum was before I made an announcement. Let's hope that he's just busy.

Anyway, since I don't want to keep the next competition up in the air for too long, I asked the second winner barondla if he could relieve john5100 to lead the competition #119 and he graciously agreed. Thank you barondla for taking the task, and thank you all for understanding!
12-04-2017, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks kwb for stepping in and thanks to barondla to accept the invitation. Looking forward to the next challenge.
12-05-2017, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Thank you all very much. I'm sorry that I didn't respond earlier but I was out of town for a while. I look forward to further competitions.

Thank you again,
John

P.S.
kwb - I did very little work on the photo. I took it with my iPhone and then I deepened the shadows and pushed the Vibrance with LR Mobile.
12-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #28
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Thank you all very much. I'm sorry that I didn't respond earlier but I was out of town for a while. I look forward to further competitions.

Thank you again,
John

P.S.
kwb - I did very little work on the photo. I took it with my iPhone and then I deepened the shadows and pushed the Vibrance with LR Mobile.
Hi John, I'm really glad to see you back!

You made me curious about LR Mobile, I use LR on PC/Mac but never used mobile version. Anyway, see you in the competition #119!
12-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

KWB - Thank you and yeah check out LR Mobile. I love it.