Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Why no compacts with EVF ?

As titled, please fill me in if I am wrong.

EVF is very important not a gimmick thing, there are some reasons for that.
Like many people from the 'film era', I am used to the 'peeking hole' VF on SLR, digital camera may not need that coz it has huge LCD screen, but that doesn't help me much in framing especially during day time, the stray light from the sun causing reflection on the screen that will easily ruined the display. Beside that, framing with an 'open screen' also means we will distracted by the surrounding, this can be good or bad thing, it can be a good thing for shooting video, may not so for stills. The most important reason for me to have EVF is my farsighted vision, only EVF with dioptic adjustment can give me comfortable viewing, and EVF also save battery power too.

Nowadays EVFs are excellent, they are almost as clear as optical finder with super hi-res and 100% coverage. I was in the market a compact DC and I almost purchased the XM-1, it got everything I wanted except EVF, I then turned to Fuji X and I was sold, I also interested to try out those Lumix ones, I don't get it why Pentax still decided not to have one ?

Last edited by lotech; 10-30-2017 at 09:26 PM.
10-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I don't get it why Pentax still decided not to have one ?
It's because "lotech" is one customer among many. Each camera maker decide what to feature in their camera models based on the average buying motives of their targeted customer base.
10-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's because "lotech" is one customer among many. Each camera maker decide what to feature in their camera models based on the average buying motives of their targeted customer base.
Pity me !
10-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I then turned to Fuji X and I was sold, I also interested to try out those Lumix ones, I don't get it why Pentax still decided not to have one ?
If you were sold by Fuji, why come to Pentax? Is there anything that you don't like about Fuji cameras that you like better about Pentax?

10-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As titled, please fill me in if I am wrong.

EVF is very important not a gimmick thing, there are some reasons for that.
Like many people from the 'film era', I am used to the 'peeking hole' VF on SLR, digital camera may not need that coz it has huge LCD screen, but that doesn't help me much in framing especially during day time, the stray light from the sun causing reflection on the screen that will easily ruined the display. Beside that, framing with an 'open screen' also means we will distracted by the surrounding, this can be good or bad thing, it can be a good thing for shooting video, may not so for stills. The most important reason for me to have EVF is my farsighted vision, only EVF with dioptic adjustment can give me comfortable viewing, and EVF also save battery power too.

Nowadays EVFs are excellent, they are almost as clear as optical finder with super hi-res and 100% coverage. I was in the market a compact DC and I almost purchased the XM-1, it got everything I wanted except EVF, I then turned to Fuji X and I was sold, I also interested to try out those Lumix ones, I don't get it why Pentax still decided not to have one ?
Well Pentax has no premium compacts at all, and the GR as a fixed lens with a huge DoF and optional OVF, so that settles that. The GXR had a really nice dedicated EVF back in the day, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them to bring it back if and when needed.

One of my favorite compacts is the Sony RX100 III just because of how cleverly they fitted the EVF. But I'll admit I rarely use it unless it's extremely bright outside.

Now, what Pentax could do (and perhaps they're already working on it) is a hybrid viewfinder for their DSLRs. I know this has been done in rangefinder cameras, but if they pull it off nicely in a DSLR it could breath new life into the format.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2017, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
, digital camera may not need that coz it has huge LCD screen, but that doesn't help me much in framing especially during day time, the stray light from the sun causing reflection on the screen that will easily ruined the display.
If that's all you wanted, Lotech, just get a Hoodman style loupe. And yes, they have diopter adjustment.

Hitting the OK button will get you magnified focus on Pentax, and unlike Canon and Nikon, you also have Focus Peaking.
10-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't like everything about FUJI except the EVF !

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you were sold by Fuji, why come to Pentax? Is there anything that you don't like about Fuji cameras that you like better about Pentax?

---------- Post added 10-31-17 at 12:50 PM ----------

Yes I saw something like that with Sigma Quattro.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If that's all you wanted, Lotech, just get a Hoodman style loupe. And yes, they have diopter adjustment.

Hitting the OK button will get you magnified focus on Pentax, and unlike Canon and Nikon, you also have Focus Peaking.

10-31-2017, 01:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax has ceased making compacts except the WG-line. The XG-1 had a evf (very low res). Pentax XG-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
10-31-2017, 02:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes I know that one a bridge camera, it has a smaller sensor than the XM-1

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax has ceased making compacts except the WG-line. The XG-1 had a evf (very low res). Pentax XG-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
10-31-2017, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Now, what Pentax could do (and perhaps they're already working on it) is a hybrid viewfinder for their DSLRs. I know this has been done in rangefinder cameras, but if they pull it off nicely in a DSLR it could breath new life into the format.
Pentax could also make twin cameras with VF as the main difference. One with EVF, one with OVF. Twin models are less expensive to develop and produce then two completely different models, but also more expensive then having a single model. It could blow new fire into the debate of VF type and make much attention in the press. Good PR and good sales. Single models would be more anonymous. Hybrid models would aditionally have higher development and production costs.
10-31-2017, 04:38 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Pentax could also make twin cameras with VF as the main difference. One with EVF, one with OVF. Twin models are less expensive to develop and produce then two completely different models, but also more expensive then having a single model. It could blow new fire into the debate of VF type and make much attention in the press. Good PR and good sales. Single models would be more anonymous. Hybrid models would aditionally have higher development and production costs.
Then the argument could be made, if there's room for an OVF, why not have one too?

But yes, if the mirror wasn't a factor I agree something along those lines might work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2017, 05:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Or use the LX concept of making interchangeable VFs with standard OVF, magnified OVF, waist-level OVF, and one or more EVF options (e.g., a low-cost low-res EVF and a premium high-res model).
10-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Or use the LX concept of making interchangeable VFs with standard OVF, magnified OVF, waist-level OVF, and one or more EVF options (e.g., a low-cost low-res EVF and a premium high-res model).
It seems unlikely the market would cover engineering and mfg costs, plus it might cannibalize more profitable product lines e.g. DSLRs.

If any price-competitive compact digitals had decent OVF's, I would buy one.
10-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have an EVF on my XG-1, a camera that had many new at the time for Pentax technologies. I prefer OVF but on sunny days it helps me frame images.

For Petax's take on mirrorless.
QuoteQuote:
I asked if Pentax was looking at the mirrorless market now given the popularity of the Fuji and Sony options, and the recent announcements by Canon and Nikon. I also mentioned Leica. Jodi said that there is no plan at this time for a new mirrorless body. She said that the Pentax KP was very compact and close to what is available in the APS-C mirrorless market now. I spent some time with the KP and also stopped by the Fuji booth, and have to agree. In fact the KP felt better in my hands than the Fuji X-Pro2 or X-T2, which seemed larger and much less ergonomic.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/trade-shows/photoplus-2017-pentax-boot...#ixzz4x5ncia3V
I personally think having the EVF on the XG-1 was Pentax's foray into the field. They decided to concentrate on reducing the size of DSLRs rather than using EVF technology. Who knows, maybe my XG-1 will be the only EVF Pentax ever. The camera is almost like someone's science project for an OVF user.

After all, you do have half an electronic viewfinder system with live view. And you can mount a loupe on the back if you really want EVF.
10-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've thought this would be an a really cool camera design. It'd be something different, and I feel like there could be some neat things that you could do with the usability of it too.