Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #1

Wishing for a GXR ii - as a Pentax Mirrorless

The Ricoh GXR concept was launch ahead of its time. It was quite expensive when it was introduced and was not patronized by a lot of photographers. It became highly recognized when the A12 M module was introduced, suddenly you can use all of your legacy lenses (not only Leica lens) via an adapter.

I think Ricoh made a mistake in dropping the GXR line. Imagine if they just created a bigger body that has a built-in EVF/OVF and a bigger hand grip than can take 24 Mp APS-C and FF modules. The Leica M mount can be retained and they can develop modules that can do AF on Pentax lens. The lensor (lens + sensor module) could be limited to a few modules such as a 28mm (or wider) and 50mm just like before.

For upgrades, you only need to buy the new sensor module with the latest sensor version available. But in the end this are just wishes/want and may never see the light of day of reality.

03-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

It's an excellent idea. I think it would be a good option if you could buy a Fuji X mount version to use some of their great lenses. Pentax could even make it a true multi lens mount option for those who have lenses but don't want to invest in a new system.
03-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
The Fuji x mount might not be possible or any other mirrorless mount. Those competing brands won't likely license their own mount to a competitor w/out hefty fees.
Since the M mount is a legacy mount and hence patents may have expired, that may be the key and Ricoh had already used it before.

The thing is, camera sales are dropping and having a body that stays the same and you upgrade the modules if a new sensor tech arrives makes a lot of sense. Very promising for manual lens junkies and photogs in their 40's to 70's who probably comprises the majority of buyers who invest on a REAL camera.

Last edited by mannyquinto; 03-04-2018 at 06:16 PM.
10-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too think a GXRii would be a great camera. I have a GXR with the EVF and the A12 M module and I really like shooting with it. I am surprised they haven't put an integrated EVF in the GRIII body, but maybe it doesn't make sense at 28mm and for what people are using the camera for. I use it on the GXR to steady the camera at longer focal lengths, manually focus, and compose and review shots in bright sunlight.

I am considering upgrading to something else to get a more compact EVF and better sensor, but I like the layout of the controls and menus on the GRX a lot. And it is really handy to swap in the 50mm macro module if I need something really diminutive to carry around.

11-18-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
Put the KP (or GRIII) sensor/processor in a K mount for Pentaxian & GR - GRX fans, and an M mount for the great unwashed..... Ricoh/Pentax has the foundation for a great mirrorless system, they just need to build upon it.....
09-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Oldish post I know, but still interesting.

I agree, a GXR II with built in EVF coupled with a K mount module (including IBIS and autofocus) would appeal to me, but I doubt it's going to happen.

I am primarily a Pentax user who, since when Ricoh bought Pentax, have taken an interest in Ricoh cameras. At times, their diminutive size is a nice alternative to the weighty Pentax cameras, especially as I recede into the my later years.

My foray into Ricoh began with the little known GX200 +EVF and subsequently original GR Digital and then version IV with its IBIS(!) In time, much as I liked these and still do, I decided to move up to the APS-C Ricoh GR and really took to it. A few days ago I capitulated and joined the GR III club! It is an amazing camera/sensor/lens combination. In between these I also investigated the GXR series plus EVF with a GXR and 24-72 full spectrum (for infra red) module plus the P10 28-300 module. Despite the small 1/1.7 inch sensors in these, they have much to offer but mostly because they give access to the GXR body and system. The recent addition of the 16 MP APS-C sensor 24-85mm A16 module offers good resolution and I am happy with the system.

The next step will probably be the last. I am looking for the GXR A12 Leica M Mount module* which I will couple with the Kipon Pentax K mount (DA) lens to Ricoh GXR M mount adapter. Put simply this will enable me to mount Pentax lenses to the GXR with full aperture control.

I remain a dedicated DSLR Pentaxian, but am so looking forward to using the Ricoh GXR with the eight Pentax Limited and 100mm WR macro primes! I reckon it's as close we'll ever get to a Pentax mirrorless with EVF in my lifetime!

* Should you have one to sell, drop me a message, please! I'm UK based.
3 Days Ago   #7

Original Poster
Its amazing that some people do think and want the same things and have a lot more in common even if we are geographically separated.

I still use my gxr from time to time and it is still my only mirrorless camera. The only module that I dont have is the A12 50 and the EVF. Both were missing when I purchased the system on a firesale at $400 brand new.