Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it a good idea to produce MX-2 with 1" BSI sensor?

Ricoh could produce MX-2 with 1" sensor IMO and the same fast lens, but they don't do it...

Is it a good idea?

07-25-2018, 02:08 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It could be a nice little camera, but I think it would dilute Ricoh's GR-line offering, and it's a small enough market as it is. Where fixed-lens cameras are concerned, I believe Ricoh is better off focusing its limited resources on a new GR...
07-25-2018, 03:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
be nice if it came with an add on hot shoe optical viewfinder with dial in frame lines.
07-25-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt anything without an EVF would succeed in the marketplace, these days, unless it’s got a red dot on it, and even those are now coming with EVFs. Given that Ricoh is shifting its Pentax line up-market, the comparison isn’t as far-fetched as it might have been ten years ago.

07-25-2018, 03:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
anything without an EVF would succeed
I'm out, I'm optical only

be nice with a rangefinder type optical add on viewfinder, dial in frame lines if the lens is variable
07-25-2018, 03:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I'm out, I'm optical only

be nice with a rangefinder type optical add on viewfinder, dial in frame lines if the lens is variable
I understand the impulse, but the market has changed, except for the Leica M10 series. Would you settle for a hybrid, like the Fujifilm X100 series, then?
07-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you settle for a hybrid, like the Fujifilm X100 series, then?
no sorry not into Fuij stuff at all

07-25-2018, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Would you settle for a hybrid, like the Fujifilm X100 series, then?
no sorry not into Fuij stuff at all
Hybrid viewfinder on any camera, ILC or fixed lens, is my greatest camera technology wish. I love the idea of being able to use an optical view when it's most practical, add info overlays such as histogram if needed, then for manual focusing or low light / slow lens work, switch to full electronic view...
07-25-2018, 03:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hybrid viewfinder on any camera, ILC or fixed lens, is my greatest camera technology wish. I love the idea of being able to use an optical view when it's most practical, add info overlays such as histogram if needed, then for manual focusing or low light / slow lens work, switch to full electronic view...
Totally agree, Mike - it would be so useful. I do not understand why this feature has not yet appeared in our recent DSLRs - it seems the obvious way forward to me.

Philip

P.S. I would love a fully featured MX-2 - bigger sensor, EVF, and hot-shoe.
07-25-2018, 03:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
I do not understand why this feature has not yet appeared in our recent DSLRs.
If they start this malarky with the DSLR's many will be upset, optical rules man
07-25-2018, 04:02 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If they start this malarky with the DSLR's many will be upset, optical rules man
Just switch off the overlays. Problem solved
07-25-2018, 04:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Keeping the same equivalent lens focal length and bright aperture while putting in a 70% larger sensor means making a 70% longer and 70% larger diameter lens. It would not be compact anymore.
07-25-2018, 05:49 AM   #13
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It could be a nice little camera, but I think it would dilute Ricoh's GR-line offering, and it's a small enough market as it is. Where fixed-lens cameras are concerned, I believe Ricoh is better off focusing its limited resources on a new GR...
GRIII will be 100%, but MX could be cheaper and it's with zoom lens. If to shoot in RAW, 1" sensor is not bad.
It seems to me Q system is stopped.
To have one WG camera, one GR and one MX at the market is reasonable sufficiency IMO...
07-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
GRIII will be 100%, but MX could be cheaper and it's with zoom lens. If to shoot in RAW, 1" sensor is not bad.
It seems to me Q system is stopped.
To have one WG camera, one GR and one MX at the market is reasonable sufficiency IMO...
You're probably right about the Q system

As I said, a new MX could be a nice camera. I just don't think there's enough of a market for it... or, rather, there are better places for Ricoh to concentrate its resources.
07-25-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s the best of both worlds, in my opinion. Those who prefer one or the other can switch off what they don’t use. I don’t know anyone who could possibly object to that, unless they’d complain about the extra cost and/or weight. As I said before, if Ricoh is moving its cameras up-market, such a beast would fit right in with that.