Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #1

Photos shot with Pentax MX-1 are always overexposed

Hi there,I recently bought a used Pentax MX-1 in mint conditions, but when I started using it I noticed all photos are 1 to 2 stops overexposed.

I did reset the camera and I tried all shooting/metering modes, the results are always the same.

I mostly shoot in Tv and even if the photo on the LCD is perfectly exposed, I get an overexposed one after pressing the shutter button.

A I said, I also tried shooting all manual, changing the meeting mode, etc etc, but the result is the same: good exposure shown on the LCD, over exposure on the photo after it is taken.

Did anyone have this issue? Should I try to send the camera into assistance or is there something I can do for fixing it?

Thank you in advance! I am a fan of Ricoh / Pentax and I enjoy reading your forums very much

Last edited by rublev1360; 04-16-2019 at 03:03 AM.
07-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you already checked, but your camera has an exposure compensation wheel on top plate. Make sure that it is set to 0.
07-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Maybe you already checked, but your camera has an exposure compensation wheel on top plate. Make sure that it is set to 0.
Hi Ole, thanks for your answer. Yes I kept that on 0 on most of my tests. I noticed that even putting it to negative values the photos always come out overexposed the same way. I suspect the camera is faulty..
07-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other thing to verify would be that you have ISO set to auto.

07-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The other thing to verify would be that you have ISO set to auto.
Hi again Ole, I tried with ISO set to manual and to auto. No changes.

The metering seems to work fine and the LCD preview is correct, but then the saved photo is very overexposed. This is bad also because I love to shoot in spot metering and exposing exactly the way I need. With the MX-1 I own this is impossible, because the saved photos are never the ones I intended to record and they show massive over exposing. The previous owner of the camera never noticed this (unless he is lying...) but this makes the camera useless for me.

If no one else experienced this scenario I guess I am owning a faulty camera and I'll send it to assistance. Thank you for you input!
08-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Are you shooting in RAW?
04-15-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooey Quote
Are you shooting in RAW?
Hi Mooey, sorry I missed your reply! I tried with both RAW and JPG. The results were the same. I ultimately had to sell the camera (pointing out this issue of course). I will focus on my Q system instead.