Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Things have moved on a bit with more info available for the GRIII (24Mp stabilised sensor), I have the GR and have no plans to change it. My DSLR is a K-5 so I don't really know whether 16 or 24 Mp makes a big difference (particularly in a small compact camera) - but I know some at least initially preferred the low-light capabilities of the K-5 over the K-3 (bigger pixels collect more light etc.).

It's not just about the sensor though, the rest of the camera is also important - now more is known about the GRIII (and being used to my GR) I'm not sure I'd get on with some of the changes:
a) missing flash - not that I can remember using it
b) missing the ISO adjust lever (mentioned in some posts in here somewhere), but I'd probably get used to a new interface.

I do like the idea of IBIS, dust removal (not that I've had dust issues in my GR) and the option for AA simulation - but can't justify the extra expense when the GR is so good anyway.

John.
I received a coupon which brought the GRII down to a great price, less than most used ones. So I got it with the intention of trading it in for a GRIII when it finally arrives (or a few months later in the hope that the price will come down a little). For me, a newer better 24MP sensor, plus IBIS, in a smaller body, is exciting enough to outweigh all other concerns. I am confident that I'll be able to get used to a new interface (this one is still pretty alien after my K-3II) and flash is of no importance to me - I've never used any inbuilt flash...it's terrible.

I'll lose money obviously, but I have a GRII in the meantime, so it's worth it for me.