Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WG-60 - Not much excitement about this announcement

RICOH WG-60 - Uncompromising water, shock, dust, and freeze protection. - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

10-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also discussed here:

Yay! Ricoh Imaging will announce a new camera this month or next month! (Nokishita) - PentaxForums.com
10-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
10-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No excitement? In part, excitement needs to be generated by Ricoh marketing, and it is not clear how the WG-60 is superior and a must-upgrade from the WG-50.

Also the Ricoh is priced above the value leaders like Fujifilm XP130 but below the feature laden Olympus TG-5, Panasonic DC-TS7, and the smaller GoPro Hero6.

Unless they score high on Consumer Reports or are stocked at Costco, Sam's, Walmart, Target, etc, it only indicates that Ricoh is still in the game. Timing makes sense for the holiday season and for those planning a tropical or Australian vacation.

10-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
No excitement? In part, excitement needs to be generated by Ricoh marketing, and it is not clear how the WG-60 is superior and a must-upgrade from the WG-50.
It looks like they added the outdoor view feature. Other than that it looks identical.

While not innovative at all (this is essentially 2012 tech sold in a 2018 box), I'm sure it's a low cost way for the company to generate some extra revenue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually I am interested. For outdoor this seems to be a good solution. It has some nice features and I still have some flashair cards.

Does anyone know how the image quality is on the newer models? Is it comparable with smartphones?

Unfortunately there is no SR any more, that would be nice for video.
11-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Does anyone know how the image quality is on the newer models? Is it comparable with smartphones?
Depends on the smart phone but for example the latest iPhones are 12MP vs. 16MP on the WG-60.

iPhone XS water proof to 2 meters "up to 30 minutes" vs. WG-60 14 meters.

Also unlike a smart phone, the WG-60 has a 5x optical zoom lens and a macro mode.

Ultimately, it depends on how much you trust the waterproofing on an expensive phone and are you images just for the internet or might you print them larger than 6x9". I have found that anyone can see the difference once I've printed in the 16x20" range.

Last edited by Alex645; 11-04-2018 at 03:50 AM.
11-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As to the excitement on this announcement, it was mostly negative with naysayers showing up to say (once again) that Pentax is doomed, mainly because this isn't enough of an upgrade over the WG-50.

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Actually I am interested. For outdoor this seems to be a good solution. It has some nice features and I still have some flashair cards.

Unfortunately there is no SR any more, that would be nice for video.
I think the big reason to get this over a smart phone is for the optical lens which has a decent range and allows for macro photography. I guess too, it depends on if your phone is truly waterproof, what the battery life is like on it, and if you like the ergonomics of it to shoot a lot of photos.
11-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks both of you. Currently I still use the iPhone 5s which is quite old and not waterproof. Ergonomics are good, I can whip it out, unlock and shoot quickly onehanded. Battery won't last a full day tour when using gps and shooting, so I carry a powerbank.

I like the zoom, macro and different shooting modes, it claims to have some kind of SR (digital I believe). Under water is also super cool. I don"t have any images from my snorkel tour in Malaysia where I swam next to a giant sea turtle. Would have been some great lifetime images.

I know the IQ won't be around the 16 MP of the K5iis but I wouldn't want it to be worse than a half way modern smartphone either. The WG60 product page claims a high-performance image processing engine.