Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2019, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Josh Estey series with GRII

Josh Estey Captures Sahel Children's Fight for Survival With a Ricoh GR II

02-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #2

I have to say I don't like this article. Maybe Josh's original work wasn't exploitative, but using these heartbreaking pictures along with a description of the photographic equipment is.
02-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
I have to say I don't like this article. Maybe Josh's original work wasn't exploitative, but using these heartbreaking pictures along with a description of the photographic equipment is.
Isn't it binging light and attention to the issue? Or it's better if no one sees the uncomfortable pictures?

02-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
I fully agree with you. What you point out is one of the drift in today's economies where people crossed ethical boundaries without even being bothered. But the next generations growing up with reading such articles will find this normal. Now the new trend is tour operators that offer volunteering vacations for tourists who pay (it's a business) for an organized volunteering vacation experience in a poor country: they do thing such as helping buid schools that happen to be never needed nor used, the local people get a little money for playing the role of the poor people and the tour operation takes the most profit.

02-27-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I saw those volunteer programs in Thailand. The foreigners running it made money hand over fist. A school got some paint and the locals had to put up with foreign gap year kids partying loud all night.
They had Katrina tours here where you could see the locals picking up the pieces of their lives from the comfort of a tour bus. A church group fixed a yard for a vacant house that was just as bad a few months later.
Side by side to all of this were and are great organizations though. Habitat for Humanity is helping a lot of people down here.