Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Espio Mini/UC-1

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with the Espio Mini (UC-1 in USA) ? I looked through the forums but didn't find much on it.

I like to shoot film and this camera looks nice.

Would you recommend it? More importantly, what would you pay for one?

Thanks

02-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulpines Quote
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with the Espio Mini (UC-1 in USA) ? I looked through the forums but didn't find much on it.

I like to shoot film and this camera looks nice.

Would you recommend it? More importantly, what would you pay for one?

Thanks
I really like the UC-1 both for its small size and its decent 32mm lens.

I've written about them several times so its easier to just provide a link to my blog posts.

Pentax UC-1 (Espio Mini) | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

Pentax UC1 75th anniversary | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

---------- Post added 02-27-2019 at 10:18 PM ----------

I should add. People ask stupid amounts of money for this camera. In my opinion its a $10-$20 camera. The Ricoh R1 is better, The Konica Big Mini is better the Oly Stylus Epic is better. Its cute but its not worth over paying for.
02-28-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sold one brand new in packaging for $70 USD a while back. They were often listed at $100 on eBay at that time. The buyer seemed happy with it.
02-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I really like the UC-1 both for its small size and its decent 32mm lens.

I've written about them several times so its easier to just provide a link to my blog posts.

Pentax UC-1 (Espio Mini) | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

Pentax UC1 75th anniversary | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

---------- Post added 02-27-2019 at 10:18 PM ----------

I should add. People ask stupid amounts of money for this camera. In my opinion its a $10-$20 camera. The Ricoh R1 is better, The Konica Big Mini is better the Oly Stylus Epic is better. Its cute but its not worth over paying for.
One good reason to not overpay for a stylus epic is that it has a built-in design flaw: its rubber light-seals degrade over time (irregardless of how much/little they are used, even if they are new in box), and cannot be replaced. So it's probably safe to assume that every stylus epic out there has leaks, or will in short order, regardless of what some ebayer might say. There's a light seal (a rubber "o"-ring) around the door, but there's another light seal around the lens (the lens is carried forward by a motor when the camera is open to take pictures). I've seen light leaks from both areas in the two stylus epics I owned (consecutively) from ~2004-2018. Apart from this flaw they are very, very reliable cameras that yield exquisite IQ. But, you know, light leaks.