Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree, Explore and flickr are mysteries. I've given up trying to understand the process. My first image submitted to flickr when trying it out went to Explore and has 150 favs, since then, no image with more than 8.

Given that when I had Photobucket stats I had images with over 700,000 views, and on facebook I've had images with 750 likes in open groups, I'd have to say, flickr is probably the worst place for having your work appreciated. But I use it for storage and posting so, that's not what I go there for. As far as I can tell flickr is all about having a bazillion followers so your work gets exposure. I seriously cannot be bothered with that kind of politicking. I'm not running for office.

So to me flickr Explore is nice, but irrelevant. I don't really expect to have another photo in Explore. I have no idea how the first one got there.

My contribution.. a small Pixel Shifted Rose...

It's not even representative of my work. Taken on an afternoon when it was so cold out, I took the image of a plant that was living on my kitchen table.

03-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the nice comments. I'm very proud of that shot and for a little Oly P&S tracked well. It was my most used camera in Cancun a few weeks ago.
04-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone interested in an experiment?

I was looking at flicker explore today and came upon the following image.

The issue for me is that it isn't as good as any number of border collie images I've posted, but it has 67 favs.
All we would need to dominate flickr explore with Pentax would be 70 forum users who each submitted an image, and then "faved" the other 69 people's images. Honestly, that image we're it on my hard drive would have been deleted. It occurs to me, that every one of my "followers" would have to "fav" an image for it to be "explored" It occurs to me, that it's not so much about how good the image is, (but there are some really great photographers) but on how many followers you have and how enthusiastic they are about marking your work as favourites. A guy with 6000 followers, and there are some has a much better chance of being added to explore. I noticed when I first joined, a number of people with numbers of followers "followed" me, and they all had thousands of followers. I don't think they wanted to see my photography, I think they wanted more followers and of course after they follow you, that little window comes up and asks if you want to follow them back. I think a lot of people are very serious about getting their images onto flicker explore.

Last edited by normhead; 04-29-2019 at 12:50 PM.