Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

The pentax altoids cameras.

Ok. Silly though it may be, I want to buy a camera for my wife's anniversary, and it has to fit in an altoids tin.

It doesn't have to be a pentax, but I understand this was the Pentax OptioS selling point.

The thing is the OptioS is no longer available it seems, and I'm not sure if the Optio s4 and/or Option S6 still fit in an altoids tin.

Last edited by BetterSense; 10-05-2008 at 07:42 AM.
10-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If I remember the models correctly it goes like this. Optio S (3mp), Optio S4 (4mp), Optio S4I (larger lcd), Optio S5I, Optio S6.
The S4 & S4I were the same body as the Optio S, but slightly thicker in 1 spot. Pentax added a finger "ledge" to help hold onto the very small camera. This meant that the camera would fit into the Altoids tin but the lid lacked about 1mm from totally closing. You could "massage" the metal hinges on the rear of the Altoids tin slightly and then it would close completely. Think this also worked with the S5I. Never saw a S6 to try.
Hope this helps.
Haven't seen any other camera that thin except maybe Casios. They are taller though so probably won't fit in Altoid tin. The friends I have that own the Optios will not part with them! They love them dearly. Good luck.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST # 11 in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
10-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
After doing some reading I think the S6 will fit. And it's apparently a pretty decent camera. It has a big LCD at the expense of the viewfinder (fine by me). I don't care for the high megapixelage, but oh well. Can't find the other models anymore.

I don't really have a P&S right now to enter the contest with.

Last edited by BetterSense; 10-05-2008 at 09:02 PM.
10-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
If you can live with a used "OptioS", there's one on ebay right now with a buy it now price of $50.

10-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
If you can live with a used "OptioS", there's one on ebay right now with a buy it now price of $50.
yeah, the thing about those is how small the screen is. I wouldn't mind, my wifey would.
10-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #6

I had a S4, it was awesome. Gave it to my uncle and got a Canon SD450, big mistake. Looooved that camera, miss it all the time.

And it fit easily in an Altoids tin.

I gave it up because video was limited to 30 sec. Doh!
10-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #7

What is...

an altoids tin?
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

10-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

When the Optio S first arrived, I was sent to buy an Altoids tin. Never had any before, so I popped 3 or 4 in my mouth. WOWSIE. They sure are potent! Everyone was laughing while I ran for water. Glad they weren't the cinnamon flavor.
We let the Optio S sleep in the tin (lid open). Cut the Pentax description out of the flyer and fitted it into the lid. People were amazed at how small it was. That tin sold us a lot of Pentax! Everyone wanted to see that camera.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!