Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MD Optofonik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 958
Old tech shootout: your MX-1 vs your phone. Is your MX-1 still holding it's own?

How's you MX-1 holding up against your phone these days? To be fair, my phone's a bit long in the tooth as well but here it is nonetheless...

My Droid Maxx 2 was released in 2015 and the MX-1 in 2013. The phone camera is 21MP and the Pentax is "only" 12MP. Both pics are zoomed and cropped in GIMP at 100%. The phone pic was over saturated and the camera under-saturated so I evened them out a bit. I also edited the MX pic's exposure to more closely match the phone. No sharpening as done and both were captured JPEG and both were using their own version of "HDR" mode.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1565  Photo   

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.
05-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,966
To be fair to the phone, I see some movement blur in that shot, probably due to the low shutter speed of 1/25s - so it might not be a completely fair comparison... That aside, the MX-1 is giving an excellent account of itself!
05-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MD Optofonik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 958
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
To be fair to the phone, I see some movement blur in that shot, probably due to the low shutter speed of 1/25s - so it might not be a completely fair comparison... That aside, the MX-1 is giving an excellent account of itself!
Both were set to their own version of "auto" and I braced my hand against a wall whilst holding the phone. I didn't brace the MX. This was meant to approximate a real world "snapshot", although in the real world one might not actually be able to brace the phone against something.

Here's the Maxx with HD off and the MX with HD on:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1565  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-16-2019 at 05:46 PM.
05-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,966
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Both were set to their own version of "auto" and I braced my hand against a wall whilst holding the phone. I didn't brace the MX. This was meant to approximate a real world "snapshot", although in the real world one might not actually be able to brace the phone against something.
Sure I think the phone is capable of better, in all honesty, if the shutter speed can be kept higher... But I've no doubt the MX-1 will still beat it hands down

05-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MD Optofonik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 958
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sure I think the phone is capable of better, in all honesty, if the shutter speed can be kept higher... But I've no doubt the MX-1 will still beat it hands down
In all honesty I'm hoping someone will post a comparison using a newer phone.
05-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13,080
You can install an app on your Droid to get manual controls to the camera if your current one doesn't support them, MDO, then you can shoot with matching shutter speeds for a fairer comparison.

You won't be able to change aperture because these little lenses don't have blades.
05-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MD Optofonik's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 958
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can install an app on your Droid to get manual controls to the camera if your current one doesn't support them, MDO, then you can shoot with matching shutter speeds for a fairer comparison.

You won't be able to change aperture because these little lenses don't have blades.
Any links?
05-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13,080
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Any links?
I like both Camera FV-5 and Open Camera, MDO!



Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, digital camera, mx-1, pentax cameras, phone, point and shoot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 vs MZ-S vs LX vs PZ-1p vs ist*D vs K10D vs K20D vs K-7 vs....... Steelski Pentax K-5 2 06-28-2017 04:59 PM
Simple lens shootout Pentax HD DFA 150-450 vs Canon 100-400 II vs Sigma 150-600 C beholder3 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 46 07-25-2016 12:33 AM
Redirect your K3 live view to your phone/tablet screen redcat Pentax K-3 10 09-09-2015 05:14 AM
Extreme Corner Performance Shootout - FA 43mm vs DA18-135 vs DA*50-135 chesebert Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 05-22-2012 09:38 AM
Pentax Heavy Weights shootout - part III - FA43ltd vs K50/1.2 vs 50/1.4 axl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 02-24-2011 05:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top