Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old tech shootout: your MX-1 vs your phone. Is your MX-1 still holding it's own?

How's you MX-1 holding up against your phone these days? To be fair, my phone's a bit long in the tooth as well but here it is nonetheless...

My Droid Maxx 2 was released in 2015 and the MX-1 in 2013. The phone camera is 21MP and the Pentax is "only" 12MP. Both pics are zoomed and cropped in GIMP at 100%. The phone pic was over saturated and the camera under-saturated so I evened them out a bit. I also edited the MX pic's exposure to more closely match the phone. No sharpening as done and both were captured JPEG and both were using their own version of "HDR" mode.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1565  Photo   

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-16-2019 at 05:26 PM.
05-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

To be fair to the phone, I see some movement blur in that shot, probably due to the low shutter speed of 1/25s - so it might not be a completely fair comparison... That aside, the MX-1 is giving an excellent account of itself!
05-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
To be fair to the phone, I see some movement blur in that shot, probably due to the low shutter speed of 1/25s - so it might not be a completely fair comparison... That aside, the MX-1 is giving an excellent account of itself!
Both were set to their own version of "auto" and I braced my hand against a wall whilst holding the phone. I didn't brace the MX. This was meant to approximate a real world "snapshot", although in the real world one might not actually be able to brace the phone against something.

Here's the Maxx with HD off and the MX with HD on:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1565  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-16-2019 at 05:46 PM.
05-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Both were set to their own version of "auto" and I braced my hand against a wall whilst holding the phone. I didn't brace the MX. This was meant to approximate a real world "snapshot", although in the real world one might not actually be able to brace the phone against something.
Sure I think the phone is capable of better, in all honesty, if the shutter speed can be kept higher... But I've no doubt the MX-1 will still beat it hands down

05-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sure I think the phone is capable of better, in all honesty, if the shutter speed can be kept higher... But I've no doubt the MX-1 will still beat it hands down
In all honesty I'm hoping someone will post a comparison using a newer phone.
05-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can install an app on your Droid to get manual controls to the camera if your current one doesn't support them, MDO, then you can shoot with matching shutter speeds for a fairer comparison.

You won't be able to change aperture because these little lenses don't have blades.
05-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can install an app on your Droid to get manual controls to the camera if your current one doesn't support them, MDO, then you can shoot with matching shutter speeds for a fairer comparison.

You won't be able to change aperture because these little lenses don't have blades.
Any links?

05-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Any links?
I like both Camera FV-5 and Open Camera, MDO!