Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Useless MX-1 feature isn't useless after all

The MX-1 has a little stash of internal memory so you can still take photos if you don't have a working SD card with you. I'd never used that memory before, but realized when out exploring in the sticks yesterday that I had pulled the card out a few days before and just left the camera in my car.

Turns out there's enough of that rainy-day capacity to support shooting a multi-row panorama in JPEG, though it probably would have run out of room if I'd tried to do this one (two rows of 6 portrait-orientation shots) in RAW.

150th Street Bridge, Gilbert, Iowa

06-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
The MX-1 has a little stash of internal memory so you can still take photos if you don't have a working SD card with you. I'd never used that memory before, but realized when out exploring in the sticks yesterday that I had pulled the card out a few days before and just left the camera in my car.

Turns out there's enough of that rainy-day capacity to support shooting a multi-row panorama in JPEG, though it probably would have run out of room if I'd tried to do this one (two rows of 6 portrait-orientation shots) in RAW.

150th Street Bridge, Gilbert, Iowa
Indeed a good feature....several recent cameras have a built in GB memory--in fact, my Leica T series has a whopping 16gb that can be then downloaded via wifi. I think more manufacturers should include a back-up memory in their cameras. I had my Pentax K-1 in Vegas recently and I planned on using two new cards for the trip. The camera and the lenses got packed but the cards were left on the table (pun intended). It cost me $85 at a Vegas Strip drug store for 2 ordinary 32gb cards. Man what a dumb move that was. If there was at least 16gb in the K-1 I would have been good to go from the onset of the trip.
06-11-2019, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Nice!

For those with cameras with no onboard memory, one solution is to keep all your old obsolete small SD cards and put one each in any camera bags, fanny packs, and backpacks that you carry. That way, there's always some memory card with you if the camera is missing it's card or that card goes south on a hike.
06-11-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
one solution is to keep all your old obsolete small SD cards and put one each in any camera bags, fanny packs, and backpacks that you carry
This practice has saved my backside more than once!

06-12-2019, 01:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
... and I just found out the picture got "explored" on Flickr. I haven't had that happen in a while.

keep all your old obsolete small SD cards and put one each in any camera bags, fanny packs, and backpacks that you carry.
Great advice. There are enough old low-capacity cards lying around here that there's no excuse not to at least have one tucked in a wallet.
01-06-2020, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Photos: Gallery
one solution is to keep all your old obsolete small SD cards
Great advice - I started to 're-use' those little plastic containers that come gum picks to store SD-cards (and safely throw in a bag).

08-29-2020, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by vinni Quote
Great advice - I started to 're-use' those little plastic containers that come gum picks to store SD-cards (and safely throw in a bag).

Now THAT's a great advice!