Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh WG-6 & WG-60?

I see very little discussion on these cameras. Are they not good for normal shooting?

06-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The WG-60 is just yet another respin of the WG-2, so nothing interesting there as far as I can tell. The WG-6 looks like a new development, though, so I'd be curious to see how (or if) it improves on the WG-5. It seems to me, though, that marketing efforts in this space have greatly been reduced compared to newer projects like the Theta and GR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. Interesting that some reviews say the WG6 has GPS, while others say no.
06-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The WG-60 is just yet another respin of the WG-2, so nothing interesting there as far as I can tell. The WG-6 looks like a new development, though, so I'd be curious to see how (or if) it improves on the WG-5. It seems to me, though, that marketing efforts in this space have greatly been reduced compared to newer projects like the Theta and GR.
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thanks Adam. Interesting that some reviews say the WG6 has GPS, while others say no.
I bought the WG-60 and then the WG-6 due to fomo when it came out. The difference isn't as big as I thought. IQ wise I can't see any difference. But usability is better on the 6 due to the dial and it has gps. Both are great and have replaced my smartphone for taking pictures. One of them is always with me and I enjoy the microscope mode the most with that ring light. It makes some really great photos possible. The WG-6 even has a focus stacking mode but I haven't tried it yet. The pixel track SR seems to be magic in near darkness.

I don't know how they compare to the earlier models.

Although I prefer the form factor of the WG-60, I'm selling it. No need to have two almost identical cameras.

06-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's good to know that the WG-6 does have GPS. I think it will be a great little camera for me to play with.

Thanks for the hands on information!
06-26-2019, 02:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wish Ricoh would consider Raw support for the WG series. I'll be sticking with Pentax for my DSLR needs as I have a number of lenses, and Pentax DSLRs suit my needs very well, but I'm seriously considering going over to Olympus TG-6. In a lot of respects it seems to sport similar features to the WG-6 (Even the model name is pretty similar), but Olympus has opted for a lower pixel count and raw support which should offer better low light performance, although I think the WG-6 is cheaper.
My sole reason for considering one of these compacts is for their waterproof capabilities for natural history photography.
With compacts, you're not invested in a 'system' like with a DSLR, so it's easy to shop around for what best serves the intended purpose, without needing to worry about gear compatibility.
I'm interested in photographing invertebrates and small fish in streams and coastal areas, and I'm not sure if waterproof housings are available for Pentax DSLRs, and if they are they'd likely cost at least as much as one of these compacts, and likely to be way to bulky for the kind of use I want. For natural history images, I'm not going to be making large prints, so the trade-off of lower pixel count for better low light performance is one I'm happy to make.
I'm not sure what the technical complexities of adding raw support, are and whether Ricoh could do it with a simple firmware upgrade, but the much higher pixel count, lack of sensor shift shake reduction, and removal of some of the sensors, still puts the WG-6 at a disadvantage compared to its competition.
Pentax DSLRs represent extremely good features for the price in my opinion, but in the case of this compact, the Ricoh WG series aren't really the enthusiast cameras they could be.
It's a shame, as the Olympus TG series are basically the only cameras approaching enthusiast capabilities in the underwater category, but even they have their limitations, eg no shutter priority or M modes.