Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Bad idea to Buy a GRII now that the 3 is out?

Been interested in this camera since the GRII was released. Now that the II is on it's way out and the price has dropped I can justify buying one. It would be great to have the latest and greatest but I can't justify $900 for the 3.

Would it be a bad idea to buy the 2? It would be casual carry around when traveling for work and out on the town, mainly black and white. I'm no pro and have a K50 that covers all my other needs.

Should I stack my pennies for the 3?

Thanks for any advice or push in the right direction.

07-26-2019, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

The GRII is still a fantastic camera. If you really want onboard flash, it's better than the GRIII in fact.
However, the improvements in the III are significant. IBIS and dust removal are worth the extra alone in my book.
07-26-2019, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aproud1 Quote
...casual carry around when traveling for work and out on the town, mainly black and white. I'm no pro and have a K50 that covers all my other needs...
I think the GR2 will work well for you. It meets your needs now, rather than waiting an indefinite time to save money for the GR3.

You can put the pennies saved (approx 45 thousand of them) toward a new lens, eventual replacement of your K50, or some more pressing need.
07-26-2019, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #4

I own the GR and the iii. Never used the flash on the GR, and even if I did I would still choose the iii by a wide margin. The sensor is much less noisy. The immage stabilization lets me push the iso way down. I much prefer the user interface and touch screen. The macro mode is great. I shoot raw + and prefer all the new b&w in camera options over the previous GRs. I could keep waxing on and on but this post is long enough.

07-26-2019, 07:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I rarely use flash but do some low light (but rarely night time) stuff. So I think the image stabilization and additional usable ISO would likely be helpful. Plus I think a GR could potentially cover a lot of what I use my K50 for. I have a variety of lenses but usually use two, one looks better for portraiture (a fancy way of saying pics of my dog and my bass guitars), one gives my a wider field of view which is what I prefer.

Maybe it's time to unload a bass and buy the GRIII. Again, thanks for the help!

Last edited by aproud1; 07-26-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: phrasing!
07-26-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I bought a new old stock GR ll in March 2019, when the GR lll came out. I'm very happy with the GR ll.
07-27-2019, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Picked up the GRII late last year on a sale, very happy with it and have no intention of upgrading. At the price of the III I really couldn't justify owning one, SR is nice but I am more than happy to bump the ISO up if I cant get the shot otherwise and besides I actually like the output when I do.

If I want ultimate image quality I have the dslr, but the GRII is still a very capable camera.

For a casual carry around like you are after I cant imagine you would ever feel disappointed by not having the latest version.

08-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Picked up the GRII late last year on a sale, very happy with it and have no intention of upgrading. At the price of the III I really couldn't justify owning one, SR is nice but I am more than happy to bump the ISO up if I cant get the shot otherwise and besides I actually like the output when I do.

If I want ultimate image quality I have the dslr, but the GRII is still a very capable camera.

For a casual carry around like you are after I cant imagine you would ever feel disappointed by not having the latest version.
How do you like the GRII in low light conditions?
08-05-2019, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Not got many examples of using it in super low light, just been looking through and found these 2 in moderately dark conditions.
First one is ISO 800 in a dark alleyway, some pretty extreme dynamic range at work here but there was plenty in the raw file to work with,

The next is the interior of a church shot at ISO 1600 and looking back a much too slow shutter speed of 1/10, I could of opened up the lens to f2.8 or gone an extra stop of ISO to get a more usable shutter. But if you ignore the slight blur I think you will agree its not a bad effort. This is probably a good advert for the 3 with its SR mind, but I got the shot and the alternative would of been a phone camera which would not of done well here.

I have used higher iso's in darker conditions and am happy with the results, not shared any as though technically fine they just weren't good photos.
I am happy with its performance in the situations I have used it in.
08-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Not got many examples of using it in super low light, just been looking through and found these 2 in moderately dark conditions.
First one is ISO 800 in a dark alleyway, some pretty extreme dynamic range at work here but there was plenty in the raw file to work with,

The next is the interior of a church shot at ISO 1600 and looking back a much too slow shutter speed of 1/10, I could of opened up the lens to f2.8 or gone an extra stop of ISO to get a more usable shutter. But if you ignore the slight blur I think you will agree its not a bad effort. This is probably a good advert for the 3 with its SR mind, but I got the shot and the alternative would of been a phone camera which would not of done well here.

I have used higher iso's in darker conditions and am happy with the results, not shared any as though technically fine they just weren't good photos.
I am happy with its performance in the situations I have used it in.
Very Nice. That helps a lot. Thank you!
08-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Not a problem, I should probably note that I managed to get mine new for £319 which was an absolute steal, at that price it really is a no brainer. Not sure what the going rate is now.
08-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #12

I'm very seriously considering picking this up as a camera for motorcycle rides. Just something to throw in my pocket and feel better about leaving the k70 and bag at home.
11-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I'm very seriously considering picking this up as a camera for motorcycle rides. Just something to throw in my pocket and feel better about leaving the k70 and bag at home.
That's kind of where I was coming from. Now that my K50 is broken I really need a new camera!
11-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #14

I also think about a new GR II because of the price of the GR III, but my GR had a dust problem and I dont‘t want this again...
11-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't exactly know differences between GRII and GRIII but applying the RX100 logics from I to VII, there is always better features but price point greatly varies. Also it depends on how much time you intend to keep your upcoming GR.
I bought RX100III 4 years ago and dont plan to replace it anytime soon.