Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purchasing advice

I finally am getting around getting the GRIII. I haven't been around the forum for a while, been busy with moving to another city and new job, I saw posts about possible QC issues with the early production runs (people keep mentioning serial numbers that are affected).

Wanted to ask if people have reached consensus on this issue?)

I have two options in terms of purchasing the camera, adorama and Kenmore camera. Adorama was out of stock few weeks back, so I'm assuming they have the latest production run. Kenmore told me their stock is from may. I bought my k-1 from Kenmore and really liked their packaging and service, but I don't really want to risk getting a camera that has the issue.

08-17-2019, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you purchase it through Adorama (or B&H) and access their sites through the Marketplace "free market access" link, (and you follow the directions properly), a portion of your purchase comes back to the Pentax Forums for site maintenance. Looking at all three website (Adorama, B&H, Kenmore), the camera base cost is the same. So unless there's incentive to not buy through the PF website link, I'd recommend Adorama, since you're familiar with their site and their inventory.
08-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Where is Kenmore camera located? I never heard of them and would be curious to check them out. Regarding Adorama and B&H I have purchased almost all of my Pentax gear from both of them and never had any complaint issues with either of them. The fact that Adorama is out of stock on the GR III may be to your benefit since it would appear that when they get new stock in, it would most likely be from the latest production runs. Otherwise B&H is likely to have the latest production units since they are a very high volume retailer.
08-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
If you purchase it through Adorama (or B&H) and access their sites through the Marketplace "free market access" link, (and you follow the directions properly), a portion of your purchase comes back to the Pentax Forums for site maintenance. Looking at all three website (Adorama, B&H, Kenmore), the camera base cost is the same. So unless there's incentive to not buy through the PF website link, I'd recommend Adorama, since you're familiar with their site and their inventory.
I'm planning to buy with PayPal credit, so I'm buying off ebay. Kenmore and adorama have ebay stores that I bought from in the past.

---------- Post added 08-18-19 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Where is Kenmore camera located? I never heard of them and would be curious to check them out. Regarding Adorama and B&H I have purchased almost all of my Pentax gear from both of them and never had any complaint issues with either of them. The fact that Adorama is out of stock on the GR III may be to your benefit since it would appear that when they get new stock in, it would most likely be from the latest production runs. Otherwise B&H is likely to have the latest production units since they are a very high volume retailer.
I believe Kenmore is located in Washington state. I really liked my experience with them in the past, but I think you're right, I'd rather get my camera from a fresh batch.

08-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm planning to buy with PayPal credit, so I'm buying off ebay. Kenmore and adorama have ebay stores that I bought from in the past.
You can use PayPal directly with on the Adorama and B&H sites too. Most retailers accept PayPal these days.
08-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You can use PayPal directly with on the Adorama and B&H sites too. Most retailers accept PayPal these days.
They do, but I want to use their limited time financing. I usually do this for my photography related purchases that are over $500. Basically interest free financing for 12 or 24 months, and making payments with PayPal is easy.

08-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
They do, but I want to use their limited time financing. I usually do this for my photography related purchases that are over $500. Basically interest free financing for 12 or 24 months, and making payments with PayPal is easy
Nice! I haven't paid much attention to that option. I will have look deeper into it. Lord knows I need another lens
08-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My comments here...

Build quality of GRIII - the problem of wobbly control dial - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

Steve

08-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Where is Kenmore camera located?
Their store is in the tiny hamlet of Kenmore at the northern tip of Lake Washington just outside of Seattle, Washington, USA.

https://goo.gl/maps/dKUCMrMtKpCuPN29A

Steve
08-18-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice! I haven't paid much attention to that option. I will have look deeper into it. Lord knows I need another lens
No problem) they offer the 12/24 month no interest financing once per month for about a week, outside of that window you can do a 6 month no interest option, or a 10-12% apr option. So I usually wait for a window and jump on it. About to jump on the ricoh

08-19-2019, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
GRIII on the way together with a CG-9 case and a spare battery (thinking I might need another one as well). Definitely looking at the wide converter for Christmas