Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2019, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax MX 1 new user - first little review ;)

Hi everybody,

I want you to know, that I bought fresh new ( almost like from the box ) Pentax MX1.

------

After excsesive and mass using of my Oly Pen ( which have to go for refubish ) I decide - instead I refurbish my OLy, - to buy somethnig older, something with less IQ, but something no less exciting.

------
I was already reading about MX1, and I caught up by thinking about it.
Since the Pen needed refubish after maybe more than 100.000 clicks,

decision was made to buy MX1, and put the OLy PEN 5 on the shelf for a while ( I love that camera too ! )

------

I found mine MX on the e-Bay - almost and certainly like new ( everything is still almost untouched and stiffed ) . I also immediatelly bought a JJC leather case, JJC lens automated cap, and 6-in-1 Lens Adapter Kit for Pentax MX1 ( 6-in-1 Lens Adapter Kit for Pentax MX1 - JJC )

I found all of it, NEW, and at discount price, for at around 30 bucks - with shipping !, Dreaming good deal ! - so why not !

------

When all was come to my adress, I easily can say how happy new consumer I'm !

The leather case is black, like my MX, and it so beautifuily fits ! Specially when you uncover it to be the half case

Auto Lens cap - I always wanted this on my camera ! It's so usefull !

I tried also ND filter, and Polarizing filter from accesories kit, and the hood. Wonderfull pieces - very well made !

Can't wait to actualy put some of those to MX, and shoot longer exposures

------

I also bought two extra batteries DB-65, or named Li-106 ( same battery - only different names and numbers for different cameras ). Battery ijn mine is original Pentax, and it holds like new, and very very well !

There si no need to extra change, in the middle of the day of excesive shooting, if battery was near 80 % full, when you turned it on !

------

USING MX FOR COUPLE OF DAYS

------

The sensor size is not anything to be liked here. when you thinking about it, without camera possibilites, which naturally came later

But results with fast 1.8 -2.5 lens, are wow!

Cannot believe - how well can be used in LOw Light, all the way to the 1600 ISO.

------

You can shot handheld without sensor shake reduction, even at 1/15 sec ! I have very steady hands, and this camera, can go even lower in my hand !

Add to this Sensor Reduction Shift - and nothing can stop you !

This thing have also DUAL IS ! ( I have to investigate it more )

Shooting in dark scenarios results ?

You put it on AUTO ISO, and in widest apperture like 1.7 - and MX would never go above ISO 800 ! ( I always put exposure to be -0,5 on the darker side )

How wonderfull is that !

And yes, I tried to shoot at real darker places, such low litted indoors, or dark streets. WOW.

I instantly refreshed my remembered mathematic for bigger sensor VS small sensor, in terms of how they ( actually ) captured the light, I mean the amount of the light.

The math work !

All pics I shoot with MX, I could shot with my K3, or KP. But their bigger bodies would force me to use more usable speeds, maybe I would have less apperture advantage with ( 3.5 with zoom lens ) - the ISo would be in that case pushed to 1600-3200,

and result would be similar ! Maybe not exactly the same - after all. bigger sensor mean more pixels - but yet, this thing is Point and Shoot !

from 2013 !

Why after all MX-1 ?

Why not something newer. Don't know.

I actually wanted the similar feel like my beloved Ricoh GX 200 is ( marvelous camera - still working ! )

GX 200 have Zoom, which GR doesn't, and that is imporant to me in street shooting. ( Gx 300 or similar camera, the succesor of GX 200 - was never released by Ricoh )

Only MX from 2013 ( also without any succesor till now )

could carry on the glory of it, with even some shortcomings over the GX 200, like the lacking of the hotoshoe, or camera size. ( MX is little bit chunky and not so pocketable )

Microfourthird - have not automated zoom to put on the Pen, and which can be easily be pushed to wide, or zoom - only with one hand, to shoot your scenario in fast way, like when your'e driving the car, and some scenarios came up - when you're waiting on the stoplight, or where ever you're

and want to easily snap something !

------

MX-1 have at this time 81 reviews at amazon.com. Average stars number is 4.7 !?tag=pentaxforums-20&

60 % 5 stars, 30 % 4 stars - and only 10 % gave to this camera 3 stars, and that's the lowest !

That really means something,

and I red this reviews very carefuly - FRom experienced users, with very long reviews, even updated through the time of consuming this camera, to the shortest ones.

All of MX1 whistles, is easily to find as TRUE, in the fisrt day of using it!

------

I really doesn't want to be too wide in this little preview of mine, because all technical details are very familiar to us who using it, and for others intereseted in buying one, I recomend Amazon for reading reviews !

------

The feature I wanted on every camera - is really simple - and Gx-200 - and MX1 have it !

Give me 3:4 ratio screen from start, and with no stupid numbers disturbing me on the screen when I'm framing my photo ! - Of course, this feature can be turned On or OFF, simply by hiting the Ok button when you're in framing !
How usefull is that ?
For me. The EXTRA

tHAT really really simple feature - to hide all the numbers from the screen in Live View in DSLR Pentax - is missing one at my K3, and Kp. ( I supposed it's missing elsewhere, and it must be included through the firmware everywhere )

I cannot do the framing so easily like I can without numbers, which hardened it for me in KP and K3 , because they hide almost 25 % of screen ! ( Framing in LV is very important to me )

Talking about screen - MX have good one. Not spectaular, but I can feel it is good in strong sunlight too. Enough

---
Not to mention the feature I really desperatelly want ! Different ratio in framing ! Not post process . !

I really like the MX1 ( and also the MicroFourThird ) - 3:4 native sensor ratio - because I'm always prefering vertical shots - with some story telling, so the extra field on picture left and right side - is usefull.

Also - 3:4 is closer to the 1;:1 which is considered to be the best ratio for human eye.

On the wall,

you will notice it easily.
-----

3:2 is to thin for me, and I always must to shoot "wider" just to later crop it like I wanted to.

Add to this - Numbers which are hiding your Frame in LV - and you can eaily see - how difficlut it is - and it should not be.

Luckily - This camera solving this problems .

That's why MX.

And it's the only camera in the Pentax - like that. ( GR is not usefull for me, bacuse I want zoom. I need it, and I want to be always with me in my all to go camera ! )

-----

The price of MX is high, even on second market, specially for the "like new " units.

Funny it is - How It was cheaper in days,

when Pentax shelves are planning to be empty, and Pentax give it - at discount price,

then they're now in second hand market over e-bay or amazon, severaly years from then. Crazy !

------

Luckily I bought everything for me, includind the camera accesories, at really fair and very convinient price !

So, I'm more than happy.

-------

I'm planing to carry my new little budy all around with me, like his little brother GX-200 was carried all the way, where ever I was going .!

Cheers to everybody !!

Last edited by panonski; 08-30-2019 at 04:29 AM.
08-30-2019, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Congratulations!

The MX-1 is a sweet and under-rated camera. I've had mine (all black version) since 2014 and really like it.

It takes surprisingly good photos!
08-30-2019, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had an MX-1 for several years now. I got mine when it was not a popular camera. You could get them new for $225 US. It is a great little camera.
08-31-2019, 02:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have had an MX-1 for several years now. I got mine when it was not a popular camera. You could get them new for $225 US. It is a great little camera.
Yes ! I know !
At this time on EBay , there is nothing below 300 euros ! Second hand !
I was lucky to get mine at 244 with shipping !
I certainly would not buy old camera at
the price of new one .
Yes its a good one, but not so spectacular,
specially in terms of todays cameras
6 yrs in Pixel technology, where every year is at least 15-20% improvment
at every manufacturer,
is a lot ...
MX price is high only because it is ONLY camera in that field,
from Pentax,
and gives excellent results.
If there are different models, or successors of it,
I think it would not be the case.