Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone used a Ricoh WG-60?

I looking to upgrade my Pentax Option W90. WIth the point and shoots being transferred to Ricoh the current designation is theRicoh WG-60. Just wondering if anyone has tried one. I looked at the top rated competing brands, and bought a Nikon AW 130. Big mistake but I found it for a good price. However, the image quality compared to my Pentax Optio W90 is really poor and there are other issues.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the WG 60. The complaint with the reviewers is it's practically the same as the WG-50, so comment on the IQ of a WG 50 would also be welcome.

My question would be am I going to get IQ as good or better than my Optio 90W, which I was quite happy with. Unfortunately I dropped it on aATV trail where it got lost under the ice and then run over a few times after a few months. I tried it out and it works, except it doesn't remember the time and date when I take the battery out to charge it, or change batteries. A small complaint I know but really irritating in the field. And I need the camera to charge from a USB solar panel on canoe trips, something the Optio W90 doesn't do.

3 Days Ago   #2

Photos: Gallery
I went with a Olympus TG-6, a bit sad on how ricoh pentax doesn't make the best tough camera (a PASM tough camera does not exist, hint!), after returning a cheaper TG-5 with dead pixels I went for the TG-6.
I'm happy with it, good handling and IQ for the sensor size/lens design limitation.
Major advantages (for me) over the wg-60, optical stabilizer, wider lens, expose comp wheel, wifi,RAW.
(I can elaborate more, but this was not your question ;-)
Best,
PS: Ups! I Confused WG-60 with the WG-6 I compared to the TG-6.

Last edited by danielblues; 3 Days Ago at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added PS
3 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
I went with a Olympus TG-6, a bit sad on how ricoh pentax doesn't make the best tough camera (a PASM tough camera does not exist, hint!), after returning a cheaper TG-5 with dead pixels I went for the TG-6.
I'm happy with it, good handling and IQ for the sensor size/lens design limitation.
Major advantages (for me) over the wg-60, optical stabilizer, wider lens, expose comp wheel, wifi,RAW.
(I can elaborate more, but this was not your question ;-)
Best,
PS: Ups! I Confused WG-60 with the WG-6 I compared to the TG-6.
I'm quite happy with my W90, so the above improvements are IMHO un-necessary. For me it's all about image quality.
3 Days Ago   #4
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the WG-60 and moved to the WG-6 when it came out. IQ is identical. But I have no comparison to other cameras. I use it all the time and love it.
I can provide some sample images if you like.

3 Days Ago   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For me it's all about image quality.
Using Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ? Digital Camera Image Comparison Page TG looks better then the w90, with a newer sensor and processor the WG-60 will probably be better too. (it's not in the comparometer)

Best,
Daniel
2 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys, maybe i'll look at the WG-6 then.... I was unaware of the newer model. Maybe you guys should write a couple reviews One more question, will I be able to recharge it on the go with my solar panel or a USB battery pack? (Is the camera able to recharge the battery without a battery charger by plugging in the camera?)

Last edited by normhead; 2 Days Ago at 07:33 AM.
2 Days Ago   #7
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
(Is the camera able to recharge the battery without a battery charger by plugging in the camera?)
Yup. I have already charged the WG-6 in the car by plugging it into the USB port as well as with a battery pack while hiking. It has a USB-C port and comes with a cable. It does not come with an extra charging device.
2 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's what I'm looking for most. Thanks so much.

1 Day Ago   #9
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've added a few lines and sample images to the review section. https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/ricoh-wg-6.html
1 Day Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I've added a few lines and sample images to the review section. Ricoh WG-6 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Thanks