Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

GRIII sales performance?

Ricoh launched GRIII more than 6 months ago.
I was wondering whether anyone here has some info about sales numbers so far?

10-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you buy one it will be improved by 1, and the camera will be good for years of service.

If you don't, why does it matter?.
10-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Agreed, and done
10-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got mine. Fits in my pocket, unlike my DSLRs.

Sales number went up by 1. You joining in?

10-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got mine a couple Fridays ago. Iím sold on it. Occasionally Iím asked to photograph situations where a DSLR would be too ďofficialĒ looking. I used to use my K-01 w/ the Ltd 21mm. The Gr III is much better in that regard and fits in the front pocket of a pair of jeans, a hoodie or a P&S belt holster.

Donít know what the sales figures are globally in my household itís one.
10-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
No camera company releases individual model sales as far as I am aware. That knowledge is internal, not even shareholders who own the company get it.
10-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Agreed, and done

Hey, that was way too easy! (Just my envy speaking, of course.)
10-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I ve read several weeks ago that sales were good so I was curious to know whether someone had some insider info about that.
Though not as good as GRIII, my RX100 is pocket companion for the moment

10-30-2019, 03:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I was not seeing the sales results yet,

but I think - this camera would outcome its predecessor big time
11-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #10

It is getting praise in some mainstream reviews which probably earns it some new users. The predecessor was launched so many years ago that quite many owners were ready to upgrade. All this bodes well for the sales figures. However, it is a lot of money for a camera and it is a question mark how much money there is in this niche market. I would believe people go for this level of camera, tend to do their research, and this is again something which works for the benefit of Ricoh.
11-17-2019, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

In Japan every indication I can see is that it is doing very well - not only for its type of camera, but against more mainstream cameras as well.

A popular camera store in Japan has published their overall sales ranking for the period Nov 1, 2018 to October 31, 2019. The GR III is third among all cameras. Thatís especially good when you consider it wasnít on sale until spring 2019.

The store concerned is Map Camera, which is more of an enthusiast/pro store. So if you went to a more consumer oriented store, it would probably be a different story. But itís a good indication.

??????????? ? Vol.1 ???????????? ????? ?*|*THE*MAP*TIMES
11-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
In Japan every indication I can see is that it is doing very well - not only for its type of camera, but against more mainstream cameras as well.

A popular camera store in Japan has published their overall sales ranking for the period Nov 1, 2018 to October 31, 2019. The GR III is third among all cameras. Thatís especially good when you consider it wasnít on sale until spring 2019.

The store concerned is Map Camera, which is more of an enthusiast/pro store. So if you went to a more consumer oriented store, it would probably be a different story. But itís a good indication.

Interesting listing even though my Japanese is very limited. So GR III squeezed into top 5 among 4 interchangeable (all FF?) lens cameras. This is especially impressive with no advertising at all. (Or maybe there has been some in Japan?)
11-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Landscape_with_K1 Quote
This is especially impressive with no advertising at all. (Or maybe there has been some in Japan?)
I don't follow closely enough to know about other efforts, but I know they organize(d) community events in Japan and Europe, mixed between the GR launch and the Pentax centennial.
11-18-2019, 03:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

It is excellent news!
I remember I bought my 18-135 from Map Camera once in Tokyo, not a huge store but a good indication indeed of this GRIII success...
11-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

Beside the Shinjuku store itself, Map camera also has a significant online presence. Iíd say itís a bit like Adorama, if not as big as B&H.

And so far Ricoh has not done a huge amount of promotion in the traditional sense - just a few one-page advertisements in camera magazines. However, they have had a huge amount of coverage in the editorial content. I donít know how much of that is paid for or incentivized in some way.

Photography magazines are still a huge thing in Japan, and worth looking at if you find yourself in a bookstore here.