Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

MX-1 Lens Won't Retract

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The lens on my MX-1 no longer retracts when I turn the power off. I hear a little motor sound, but that's it. The camera still works normally otherwise, including autofocus and zooming in/out.

I've tried removing & replacing the battery; no luck.

Precision wants $170 or so to repair it, which is more than I want to spend. My local shop won't work on it.

However: since the MX-1 shares a lens with the Olympus XZ-2, and there are several new or "refurb" (probably just used) XZ-2 lenses on Ebay. One is from an outfit called DH Camera out of Chicago.

I'm wondering two things:
Will the Oly lens assembly fit right in to my MX-1?

And can I do this myself?

11-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think my wife has one of those that is sitting unused with a case and will never be used again since I have my DSLR and film SLR. I found it a couple of months back dropped a fresh battery in it to see if it works and it appeared to. If it is the same and you are interested I would be willing to be rid of it with the new battery included for the price of shipping.

----EDIT------
I suppose this is dumb on me. I should have looked up the camera first. I thought it was an old film camera and now I am wondering what pentax camera that is of my wife's. Sorry if I unduly got your hopes up.

Last edited by MossyRocks; 11-04-2019 at 02:20 PM.
11-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JMeyer Quote
Precision wants $170 or so to repair it, which is more than I want to spend.
The fact that they're still willing to fix it is actually impressive. I'd give this second thought, as the MX-1 is turning into a rare (and well-liked) beast.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My advice would be to get one of the Oly's and use it instead of the pentax or try to get a used MX-1.
I do not think even a trained technician could do the replacement.

11-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a faulty but 'mint' MX-1 as a project last year. It had a lens fault and I only got as far as disassembling it. This thread had me googling for parts again and I found this:

NEW Lens Zoom Unit For Olympus XZ-2 XZ2 Digital Camera Repair Part + CCD | eBay

As all the part numbers on the PCB (the actual sensor assembly) and general look and finish quality seem to be identical to mine, so I suspect it is actually an OEM part that Oly and Pentax sourced for their respective model, together with the rest of the internals. Anyway, I decided to order one. Once it arrives I'll check out the actual lens elements too (as far as I can) and either use the complete assembly or swap whichever parts I can from the original.

I'll post up what the results are.

Last edited by crossed-up; 11-05-2019 at 02:04 PM.
11-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The fact that they're still willing to fix it is actually impressive. I'd give this second thought, as the MX-1 is turning into a rare (and well-liked) beast.
Funny how such an old camera, with limited possibilities can be such rare - and well priced even now

--
But I sure ennjoy in it. It does have street functionality, which Ricoh GR cannot have ( zoom )...

Excellent little gem
11-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
I thought about a used one. But for the money, I'm not going to buy a used, 7-year-old orphan camera. I can still use this one; I just won't take it anywhere. For that, I'll get something modern that has a viewfinder.

11-09-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The replacement lens assembly should be with me by the end of next week so in the meantime thought some people may be interested in what's inside the MX-1.

Evidence of the 'missing' flash hot shoe mount that the Olympus variant presumably uses. Not sure if the actual flash contacts are buried in there somewhere too; there's a fair chance there are.

11-14-2019, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens assembly arrived today and after a cursory look it appears to be an identical part. Even some of the tooling marks and textures on the non-cosmentic faces match, pretty much confirming my suspicions that the Pentax and Oly versions are all but identical OEM builds. Of course the ultimate test will be to get it all back together and seeing if it actually plays nicely with the rest of the circuitry and firmware, which I won't have time for until the weekend.

Some pics:

11-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I couldn't wait until the weekend so spent a couple of hours this evening to get the MX-1 back together again. It all went smoothly apart from a glitch with one of the flexi connectors not seating properly first time round preventing the lens module extending when powered up, but all seems well now after reseating it.

This wasn't meant to be a step-by-step how-to guide so I didn't document the whole process, but here are few pics:

And few shots taken shortly after tightening the last screw. I'm looking forward to giving it proper outing over the weekend - weather permitting!

11-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
This is very interesting! Thanks for posting. I've never disassembled a camera to that extent myself.

If I purchase one of these Oly lens units on Ebay, what do you think are the chances of success if I have a go at it? I am fairly handy with small tools.

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
Well, I couldn't wait until the weekend so spent a couple of hours this evening to get the MX-1 back together again. It all went smoothly apart from a glitch with one of the flexi connectors not seating properly first time round preventing the lens module extending when powered up, but all seems well now after reseating it.

This wasn't meant to be a step-by-step how-to guide so I didn't document the whole process, but here are few pics:

And few shots taken shortly after tightening the last screw. I'm looking forward to giving it proper outing over the weekend - weather permitting!

11-16-2019, 02:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

This is very interesting! Thanks for posting. I've never disassembled a camera to that extent myself.

If I purchase one of these Oly lens units on Ebay, what do you think are the chances of success if I have a go at it? I am fairly handy with small tools.
Well, I'm glad you did it - and it all went OK !

-
Thanks for posting this interesting images !
11-16-2019, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by panonski

Well, I'm glad you did it - and it all went OK !
-
Thanks for posting this interesting images !
Thanks panonski, I'm grateful that this thread appeared as it prompted me to go and look for parts again and allowed me to end up with a working MX-1 from the pile of bits that it has been for several months!

I think if you are confident enough to be even contemplating this then you will most likely be fine and have a successful outcome. Just take your time, take pics and notes of various stages if you think you won't remember where things went. I wish I has done this as it was several months between dismantling and reassembly as I had almost given up on finding parts Also use the proper JIS crosspoint screwdriver, you only need the one size (sorry but not sure if it is a 0 or a 00 etc)

I dismantled my MX-1 much further than was actually necessary as I wasn’t sure how it was constructed and had to find my way around it. I started with the lens trim and also removed the battery compartment lid (as some of the DSLRs have fixing screws deep in there), which was actually all unnecessary. I also completely disconnected and removed the back/display assembly, and internal metal RF shield which can also be avoided and just folded out of the way if you are careful not to stress and damage the flexi connectors. With this approach I think you could probably have the job done in an hour, especially if you don’t have to figure out where all the different length and types of screws go back as I did!

Just in case it helps, I've taken a few more pics and annotated them. Definitely not a comprehensive guide but I think it covers the key elements and should avoid a lot of unnecessary work.

So here goes:

Remove the base plate after removing the 6 off identical plastite screws.

Fold the screen vertical to gain access to the 4 fixing screws, then remove them. Note that to top two are longer plastic types (similar to the base place screws), and the bottom two are very short machine screws.

Don’t forget this little short machine screw that attaches the back cover to the tripod mount.

Remove the three screws on each end of the camera that secure the back and top plate. The top plate screw are the thinner plastite screws as used for the baseplate, and the other 4 are thicker plastite types.

You should then be able to jiggle the top plate assembly up slightly and release the back/screen assembly, which should fold open to the right. Be careful not to damage the flexi connectors. You can disconnect these if you prefer and completely remove the screen assembly but is not absolutely necessary.

It is only necessary to disconnect this end of the flexi connector that is attached to the RF screen. Could the Samsung chipset be a clue to the MX-1s manufacturer

Then remove the silver plastite screws and single short machine screw that secures the RF shield and carefully fold it away to the left.

This should now give you access to the securing screws and connector ribbons for the lens module. Disconnect the ribbons, then the 3 silver plastite type screws. The top two are recessed deeper down. Jiggling the top plate assembly away from the body helps with access and needs to be done to actually allow the lens module to be lifted clear anyway.

As all those repair manuals always say, reassembly is the reversal of disassembly
11-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

wow mate,

you got everything ! Congratulations on your pics here. If anybody would need it, it's here.
02-12-2020, 03:16 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
I dismantled my MX-1 much further than was actually necessary as I wasn’t sure how it was constructed and had to find my way around it. I started with the lens trim and also removed the battery compartment lid (as some of the DSLRs have fixing screws deep in there), which was actually all unnecessary. I also completely disconnected and removed the back/display assembly, and internal metal RF shield which can also be avoided and just folded out of the way if you are careful not to stress and damage the flexi connectors. With this approach I think you could probably have the job done in an hour, especially if you don’t have to figure out where all the different length and types of screws go back as I did!

Just in case it helps, I've taken a few more pics and annotated them. Definitely not a comprehensive guide but I think it covers the key elements and should avoid a lot of unnecessary work.

So here goes:
Wow, great pics and info! Thanks. I have a black MX-1 with lens problem (not retracting) but the rest is working fine. This is encouraging so I'm gonna start looking for the parts.