Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Zoom 90 WR - Want to learn more about it

Hi all! A friend just gave me a couple of old cameras, including a Zoom 90 WR, which looks like a nifty piece of kit. Years ago I had a manual-wind PC35AF, which took brilliant pics, and I later learned that was because it worked more like a "proper" camera than a focus-free P&S. Does the same hold true for the Zoom 90 WR? Would love to hear more from folks who know a bit about these cameras.

Also, is the "WR" for Weather Resistant or Wireless Remote?

Thanks
Aaron

11-13-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens is quite sharp. The camera is very durable. The camera store I used to work for bought the last ones Pentax had in the US. An Australian paratrooper saw we had them and bought two. He said he put the camera in his ankle pocket. The 90WR was the only camera that could last a year. So he bought two years worth of cameras.
11-13-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The 90 WR came with an IR remote that works perfectly with modern DSLRs. I had one, and I still use the remote with the K10, K5 and K3. Probably you have to put a fresh battery.
11-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WR stood for weather resistant (I wouldn't guarantee the seals today). Pentax advertised it shown under a running tap (and later champagne bottle after it won awards) with the tag line 'other compacts would break, our's snaps'. Rumour has it they tested it in their canteen dishwasher.

For a compact it has a fast, sharp zoom lens and is a rugged, solid camera. I used one on trips where I wouldn't take an SLR.

11-14-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first 35mm camera was a Zoom 90WR. I took it to Nepal in 1999 and had a great experience with it. I can vouch for its weather sealing at the time. Snow, freezing temps to humid and monsoon rain. I was happy with the pictures. I think I took a dozen or more rolls of film in two weeks and don't remember if I went any of the main lithium batteries. Maybe one replacement. I haven't used the camera in years, but the little remote got used for my K3-ii until I bought a dedicated (and larger) remote trigger. The battery still worked after 20 years! I love the slide mechanism for how it attaches to the body.

I enjoy the outdoors and benefit from durable kit. My experience with the Zoom 90 was a big factor in helping me decide to come to pentax when looking at DSLRs.

Good luck
11-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Memories of WR90

Iím of two minds whether to even post a reply here because it would just repeat the othersí comments.
Iíve had my WR90 since the mid-1990s, and havenít used it in years because digital. However, I too kept pulling out the remote for use with later cameras (Optio 550, *istD) until more recently buying another remote controller.
I used the WR90 to photograph the moonbow at Cumberland Falls, KY, the first time I shot that (this is before I owned an LX.) The spray gets a camera pretty wet and I wouldnít have wanted to put my SLR I that position.
I also went out to cover a parade in 1998 where the then-governor of Texas was the grand marshal (he was running for re-election; this was a couple of years before he was elected President) and because of the rain chance in the forecast, I took the WR90 as well as the PZ1. The client magazine published images from both cameras but as it happens, the WR one has been republished.
I keep a copy of a WR90 print ad on the inside of my camera locker to this day, because I thought it was really cool.

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 08:16 AM ----------

Itís a true p&s: autoexposure, autofocus, autowind, and if I recall correctly, sets the film speed automatically by the DX coding on the cassette. Takes good images, but doesnít give you manual control.
Also, for some reason, runs the film through upside down (relative to most cameras.)
11-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The advertisement, and the camera (and its case)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Pro (10.5-inch)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Pro (10.5-inch)  Photo 
11-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hello,

Absolutely love it! I used mine until it died about 3 years ago. It is waterproof and while not underwater rated, I used it in swimming pools with total confidence. That made it a really fun to use camera.
If I had a penny for every time somebody told me "Hey! your camera is getting wet!"

I'm now using a Gopro, but sometimes I get the urge to get another Z90WR
Really fun camera!

Thanks,

11-15-2019, 12:05 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Sounds like it's worth loading in some batteries and film to try this baby out. Appreciate all the replies!
11-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
If I had a penny for every time somebody told me "Hey! your camera is getting wet!"
I hear ya -- I took a WG-4 to a pool party recently.
There have also been the times I've had the DSLRs out in the rain.
5 Days Ago   #11
Forum Member

Seen these come up on Shopgoodwill often without much attention. This thread has me intrigued.