Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PS Scuba Diving Camera / Case

Does Pentax make a decent camera for let's say 60ft underwater ? Last year I used a Sony (7.2 mp) something with an umderwater housing that I was quite pleased with actually.

For some light Scuba Diving - water should be very clear anyone got any Pentax or other preferences ?

10-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Does Pentax make a decent camera for let's say 60ft underwater ? Last year I used a Sony (7.2 mp) something with an umderwater housing that I was quite pleased with actually.

For some light Scuba Diving - water should be very clear anyone got any Pentax or other preferences ?
I don't think there is any Pentax made under water housings, Sony, Canon and Olympus seem to have that market sewn up.

Ikelite may make something for Pentax P & S cameras but it would be $$$.

Personally, I've had an Olympus C7070 and Olympus housing (rated to 40m) for 3 years. With a little DIY modification I could attach a strobe but I get reasonable results as is and I can't justify the cost to dive ratio of setting it up.

I choose the Olympus C7070 because out of all the P & S cameras that had housings available it was one I was most likely to use of out the water too, it's macro capabilities are excellent, allows plenty of manual intervention and it has a wider angle lens than most P&S cameras.

If I was buying now, I'd be looking at one of the water-proof to 3 metre Olympus cameras and sticking it in a housing, that way even if the housing floods the camera will probably survive. Trust me there's nothing worse than watching a housing fill with water!
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Getting a diving camera was my whole reason for getting a canon G9. The camera is damn near as good as any mid-level DSLR and it has a pretty sweet diving case that has an attached flash diffuser that works pretty well. Since I bought the camera I have only shot it on dry land and tested it in a swimming pool so I can't show you any photos from underwater.

I don't know what else is out there but one of the big advantages of the G9 over some other cheaper point and shoot cameras is that you can shoot in RAW. getting white balance right underwater can be tough so it's nice to be able to correct later

So for $400 you get something that should take some pretty nice pictures down to 140 feet.
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think this will do the job? Having one would be way cool (:\]
List of underwater cameras that can be used with the UK-GERMANY UK-D-K20D underwater housing

10-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Poke around here. Ask questions. They will hook you up. I did some research here a while back for my K10D and concluded it was all too much.

Welcome to DigitalDiver.net!

Personally I shoot film underwater. I have a Nikonos... well... three. a II, a IV, and a V. Heh.

Been looking to get a digital though.

Seaain
10-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the sugesstions guys - It's not like I dive for a living however I think I could justify $400 - $500 on a rig where I would be happy with the PS on land.
10-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks for the sugesstions guys - It's not like I dive for a living however I think I could justify $400 - $500 on a rig where I would be happy with the PS on land.
Dave... for some reason I read the following to mean that you would NOT justify $400.00 for what would be a P&S on land. Feels like you left the "NOT" out.

"however I think I could justify $400 - $500 on a rig where I would be happy with the PS on land."

I hear you on this if indeed that is what you meant. I have a simple recommendation for you to consider:

IC500 Intova IC-500 5.0MP Digital Camera with Underwater Housing, 4x Digital Zoom & 2.5" LCD, 130' Depth Rating

Read reviews here:

Amazon.com: INTOVA INWD-IC500 5.0 MP Digital Sports Camera with Waterproof Housing -130FT: Camera & Photo

Also consider:

Amazon.com: INTOVA INWD-IC600 6.0 MP Digital Camera with Waterproof Housing -180FT: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Vivitar VIVICAM-6200W 6.0 MegaPixel Underwater Camera with 4x Digital Zoom 2.0" LCD: Camera & Photo

Review the following as well:

Amazon.com: INTOVA - Camera & Photo: Camera & Photo

Seems likely I am going to buy one of these as my "always along" dive camera. There are times when I don't or won't bother with all of the stuff associated with my Nikkonos, and it would be nice to have a P&S to get shots.

Hope this helps.

Seaain

10-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Intova IC600 for sale right now if you're interested ($90 + shipping). It was warrantied a couple of months ago and has not been used since. I replaced it with the G9 because I wanted an upgrade.