Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

Powerbank for Ricoh GR

Hi!

The USB Wall adapter for the Ricoh gr gives 1 amp. My powerbank gives 2.4 amp output. Will the camera adjust so it will only receive the right amount of power or will I destroy the battery using this powerbank. The power bank is the Mophie 13400mAh.

What powerbanks are you using?

Thanks

01-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Your camera will take as many amperes as it needs.It is important that the voltage matches exactly.
01-04-2020, 03:59 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha I just asked a similar question, so I'll point you to this as well GR - charging flexibility? - PentaxForums.com
01-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #4

You can use a charger with an output greater than the max draw of the device being charged. The device will only draw up to it's maximum rating. If you use a charger with a lesser maximum output than the requirement of the device than it will take longer to charge.

The charger/power supply amperage should be equal or greater than the device as the device will only draw up to its rating.

For example one power bank I used would take 2-3 hour to fully charge from "empty" at 2.4 amps where as at 0.7 amps it would tak10-12 hours.

01-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can use a charger with an output greater than the max draw of the device being charged. The device will only draw up to it's maximum rating. If you use a charger with a lesser maximum output than the requirement of the device than it will take longer to charge.

The charger/power supply amperage should be equal or greater than the device as the device will only draw up to its rating.

For example one power bank I used would take 2-3 hour to fully charge from "empty" at 2.4 amps where as at 0.7 amps it would tak10-12 hours.
I think your statement - the device will draw up to its maximum rating - does not apply to batteries, only if it has integrated circuits , like smartphones do. Only users draw what they need, like motors and such.
01-06-2020, 03:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I do not know for GR but I frequently use a Xiaomi powerbank to charge my RX100. Never paid attention to max voltage to be honest...
01-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Simple arithmetic: If your Gr needs 5400 mAh and you charge with powerbank with 13400 mAh, simply it deduct 5400 from 13400 and Gr is fully charged. You can still use the powerbank remaining charge to the next charging.