Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Some very cool entries here. I keep being struck by how truly varied our individual 'visions' are and can be - and by the multiplicity of truly different (and creative!) ways in which this theme - a 'Closer Look' - can be interpreted

05-13-2020, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Those q-tips are pretty cool!
05-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #18
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Those q-tips are pretty cool!
Thanks Jim!
05-14-2020, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This looks like a fun theme so I'm picking through my small-sensor photos. A question though- I was shooting with Nikon 1 system gear for a while, which is a 1" sensor, so that would count- but what exactly do you mean by "no adopted lenses?" I figure that covers the Pentax M 50mm macro I used on an adapter, but I also shot with the nikon kit lens with the "guts" of a broken 50mm f2 attached to the front by a reversal ring. Does that count as an "adopted lens" too? Just curious.

The lack of decent macro capabilities in the native lenses for both Nikon 1 and Pentax Q were why I could stick with either one in the end, sadly, but I may have developed a minor addiction to compact cameras for macro as a result...

05-14-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
This looks like a fun theme so I'm picking through my small-sensor photos. A question though- I was shooting with Nikon 1 system gear for a while, which is a 1" sensor, so that would count- but what exactly do you mean by "no adopted lenses?" I figure that covers the Pentax M 50mm macro I used on an adapter, but I also shot with the nikon kit lens with the "guts" of a broken 50mm f2 attached to the front by a reversal ring. Does that count as an "adopted lens" too? Just curious.

The lack of decent macro capabilities in the native lenses for both Nikon 1 and Pentax Q were why I could stick with either one in the end, sadly, but I may have developed a minor addiction to compact cameras for macro as a result...
Good questions - and to be honest, I don't really have a clue as to the specifics - so if ANYONE OUT THERE has some inside knowledge or familiarity with the actual original thinking behind this interesting (but imprecise, to me at least) language - of 'adopted' lenses - then I would greatly appreciate clarification.

In the interim period, and before or unless any metaphoric old-timers chime in with an explanation, I'll give you my own personal interpretation:

It's clear (to me at least) that this is a competition for 'small sensor' point-and-shoot cameras - but specifically that means and includes cameras with a sensor of no greater than 1" for digital cameras. Your camera should be 'pocketable' and compact. By that definition, theoretically at least, either a Nikon 1 or a Pentax Q would qualify - whereas my older, tiny (and very pocketable) interchangeable lens tiny little Lumix GM1 - would not qualify, as its micro 4/3 sensor is definitely larger than the 1" limit. Earlier generations of Ricoh Digitals (including my tiny GRDiii) would definitely qualify - whereas later generations (including my slightly larger GR II, with an APS-C sensor) would not.

The interesting and gray area comes in the language of 'adopted' - which seems to only apply to smaller-sensor interchangeable lens cameras - like the Q or like the Nikon J1. My belief is that 'adopted' probably was intended to include any lenses OTHER THAN the original standard or kit lens which came with the camera. In the case of the Pentax Q, it gets a little trickier - because technically both the kit lens (the 02 zoom lens, the 5-15mm, aka the 'standard zoom lens') and the tiny 8.5mm prime lens which is also referred to as the 'standard prime' for the Q system - would BOTH qualify. But what about the OTHER Q lenses - including the fisheye, the wide 'toy' lens or the telephoto lenses - which were offered as part of the initial system - wouldn't they qualify?

My guess is that they WOULD - because probably (my theory) 'adopted' is a misspelling - for 'adapted'. As we know, a wide variety of Pentax K-mount lenses can be used with Q cameras with an adapter - but NONE OF THESE WOULD QUALIFY OR BE ALLOWED.

Applying the same reasoning to your Nikon J1, any 'adapted' lens - like the Pentax macro - or any other non-J system lens, used with adapters or reversal rings or in any other way - DO NOT QUALIFY. Whereas your standard or kit J1 lenses would and do qualify - as would any other J-mount-only lenses which Nikon made for the camera.

That's my interpretation and I hope it sounds reasonable to everyone.
But if anyone has a different 'reading' of this 'adopted' lens language, I'd be happy to consider it.

Cheers!

Miguel
05-15-2020, 12:44 AM   #21
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Miguel and er1kksen,
"No adopted adapted lens" rule started when I did P&S competition #143. Since Miguel is the person who makes the rules for this contest, my original intent shouldn't carry much weight, but anyway it might be useful to explain why I made that rule for my competition.

A part of the fun of P&S competition for me is to enjoy photography despite (or because of) the limitation of the cameras. I'm a big fan of adopted adapted lenses on my Q7, but I feel as if allowing adopted adapted lenses gives the ILC too much flexibility that somehow goes against the spirit of P&S competition.
My idea was to only allow native lenses for ILC. I never call Q 03 fisheye or Q "toy" series lenses adopted adapted (for Q system) BTW, because they are Q-mount lenses. Native Nikon 1 mount lenses are not adopted adapted either.

I didn't foresee reverse-mounting another lens to the native lens, but that's not a native-or-adoptedadapted problem to me as this could also be applicable for some fixed lens cameras. It's more like a will-it-fit-in-a-pocket problem. If the entire thing still fits in your pocket I won't complain.

But anyway, this is your competition Miguel, interpretation of the words of the rules is completely up to you.
QuoteQuote:
probably (my theory) 'adopted' is a misspelling - for 'adapted'.
Haha, you're right!!

Last edited by kwb; 05-15-2020 at 12:52 AM.
05-15-2020, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I especially like your second entry, kwb!
Great abstract.

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Jim, pretty fungi indeed, here in the desert we never see anything like that!

My #1: Strawberry flowers in my yard (pink ones are also strawberry). Pentax Q7, Q 01 Prime (8.5mm), 1/800s, F/4.5, ISO 200.

Strawberry flowers by k kwb, on Flickr

My #2: Q-tips. Fuji XQ2 with macro mode, 6.4mm, 1/50s, f/2.5, ISO 100.

Q-tips by k kwb, on Flickr

05-15-2020, 06:33 AM - 6 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Miguel, kwb,

Thanks for the discussion- a note on the case I posed would be that the reversed glass attached to the front of the Nikon 1 kit lens definitely took the whole thing from "barely pocketable" to "not pocketable," so I think I'd go with that not qualifying. With that all sorted out, I'd like to submit a few entries. Take a closer look... if you dare.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GX200  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GX200  Photo 
05-18-2020, 01:56 PM - 4 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great work here. #2 iPhone X. Detail look at phragmites in a local marsh.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
05-18-2020, 02:20 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pics everyone. Here is my second from my S9
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
05-23-2020, 07:05 AM - 5 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

My entries for this month.

I learned one thing from noting down the exif info: I must really like the 26mm field of view
Unless zenfolio is messing up the exif info

Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/60 at f/4.5, ISO 100

Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/400 at f/2.8, ISO 100

Panasonic FX500, 4.4 mm (26mm equivalent), 1/1000 at f/2.8, ISO 100
05-26-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love the photographs! Amazing. Here's No. 3 for me, next to my desk. iPhone X.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
05-26-2020, 05:01 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my last one.
Attached Images

05-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wonderful entries so far...!!!

And just a quick reminder: today is May 26th....which means only FIVE (5) more days during which entries can be submitted for this Point-and-Shoot Competition!

---------- Post added 05-26-2020 at 05:43 PM ----------

Hey, Bart---

I like what you are doing with your FX500. Some years ago, I used to own a small-sensor compact Lumix camera - and I still miss it. Maybe I'll have to get another one, one of these days or years

I just have one quick question about your middle shot - the monochrome one - when I first looked at it, I thought it might be an interesting variety of wild fungus or mushroom - but when I looked at it again, it looked like a close-view of the petals of a flower---

And I'm quite prepared to admit that in fact it may be something entirely different than either of those but my curiosity is forcing me to ask: which - or what - is it, a photograph of, exactly?

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
My entries for this month.

I learned one thing from noting down the exif info: I must really like the 26mm field of view
Unless zenfolio is messing up the exif info

Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/60 at f/4.5, ISO 100

Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/400 at f/2.8, ISO 100

Panasonic FX500, 4.4 mm (26mm equivalent), 1/1000 at f/2.8, ISO 100
05-26-2020, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #30
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pictures everyone! Unless I manage to take more shots, this will be my last entry for this competition. This is a wild porcupine annoyed by me getting too close . Pentax Q7, Q 06 Telephoto zoom at 29mm f/2.8, ISO 400, 1/6 sec (!!) on a tripod.

Angry fruit by k kwb, on Flickr