Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2020, 04:48 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Point and Shoot Competition #147 - Not Exactly a Tree

This Month's Point & Shoot Competition- "Not Exactly a Tree." What does that mean? Well, I find myself taking a lot of direct, literal photographs of trees for both my work and interests. So for this competition, I want to see any and every other way you could approach the subject (or even concept or word) of a "tree." Abstract it, find a strange new angle, use a tree to creatively modify or frame some other subject, give me a coat tree, your office phone tree, whatever. Anything but a direct photo of a tree. There's room for all kinds of interpretations!

Rules are the same as last month:

Always have fun!

Cameras:
ALL CAMERA BRANDS ARE ALLOWED.
Camera should be compact, and let's say fit in a pocket of some garment you own or have owned at some time, and some pockets are bigger than others! I'm not getting out a tape measure...
Digital cameras with sensors smaller than or equal to 1" are allowed. However, for interchangeable lens cameras, no "adopted" lenses are allowed.
All non-interchangeable lens cameras regardless of the sensor size and medium (digital or film) are allowed.
Interchangeable lens cameras with sensors larger than 1" are not allowed regardless of the size.
Mobile phones, tablets and any 110 film cameras are allowed regardless of the size.
Entries will close on May 31, 2020 midnight PDT.
Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.
List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.
No restrictions on when the entries were taken.
Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.
Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time.

Most of all, have a good time with it!

I'll post some examples of my own soon- posting this as I cram in some breakfast before running out the door as I'm in the middle of a three-day marathon of guiding another photographer/filmmaker around one of my local wilderness areas for the purpose of documenting some special trees. Can you tell I like trees?

Read more at: Point and Shoot Competition #146 - a Closer Look - PentaxForums.com

06-06-2020, 02:55 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great subject. I'll take the plunge, and this will be really interesting! iPhone X, from my workplace.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
06-07-2020, 04:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A challenging theme

With already an excellent response from David.

Very curious to see what will be entered;
06-12-2020, 01:36 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll dive in, metaphorically speaking, though my subject is relatively prosaic: an ancient black walnut tree that sits in front of the old Oregon farmhouse I live in, the tree almost died a few years ago but proved tougher than anyone imagined and is now flourishing. I took this shot slightly after midnight, using the tiny built-in pop-up flash on my Ricoh GRDiii - which of course gives the nocturnal lighting a dramatically harsh look. I processed the DNG in Lightroom with a bit of help from Silver Efex to monochromize the image (which was taken at ISO1600, 1/30 of a second at f/4.5.

But the slightly sepia-toned monochrome gives it a feeling of an older photograph - which seemed appropriate since this tree has been here for a long, long time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 3  Photo 
06-12-2020, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Great subject. I'll take the plunge, and this will be really interesting! iPhone X, from my workplace.
Jacquot, I'm intrigued- any hints as to the conceptual connection to "tree?"

Miguel, that is a very strong composition. I note the little bowl- do you gather the nuts?
06-24-2020, 09:37 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q isn't well versed, with native lenses, for super macro (a sore point with Q lovers). So I employed a Pentax Optio A10 with Super Macro setting.
Thanks for looking,
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A10  Photo 
06-24-2020, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Jacquot, I'm intrigued- any hints as to the conceptual connection to "tree?"

Miguel, that is a very strong composition. I note the little bowl- do you gather the nuts?
I was thinking of the relation of vertical and horizontal that is a stair, and how this is essential to the structure of a tree. Maybe that's a bit too abstract, lol. I was looking up the stair as you would look up a tree.

06-25-2020, 05:20 PM - 4 Likes   #8
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What used to be trees.
Q7, Q 03 Fisheye, slight crop. Since I lost my IR remote I used the 2sec timer mode, pushed the shutter button, immediately placed the camera on the floor with the LCD down, and laid myself on the floor so I won't be in the frame. Framing was totally hit or miss.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
06-28-2020, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

This subject made me think quite a bit

I'm very impressed by the other entries and I hope my results match Erikssens expectations.

Vaguely reminding of a tree shape
Panasonic FX500, 13.2mm (78mm equivalent), 1/640 at f/4.9, ISO100

More of a woodland formed by the masts
Panasonic FX500, 6.8mm (40mm equivalent), 1/800 at f/5.6, ISO100

I wanted be a tree when I grew up
Panasonic FX500, 13.2mm (78mm equivalent), 1/160 at f/8.0, ISO100
07-01-2020, 09:09 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first entry of 'Not Exactly a Tree'. The root of whatever it has been supporting at one time in the past.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 

Last edited by Titia; 07-01-2020 at 09:38 AM.
07-01-2020, 09:20 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't help it but I just love the inside of those 100+ year old dead pollard willow trees. Just cropped it, original colors.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 

Last edited by Titia; 07-01-2020 at 09:40 AM.
07-01-2020, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a Birch Notebook. I always wonder how old those writers are today. At least one is 23 years older.
Attached Images

Last edited by Titia; 07-01-2020 at 07:09 PM.
07-01-2020, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Since I've been in the woods the last three days and won't be home until this evening to pick a winner, consider this an opportunity for any and all late entries!
07-03-2020, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok! Time to conclude this contest! I should in the future avoid winning any contests during fieldwork season as obviously I'm insufficiently attendant to the forums here.

I appreciate all the interesting entries to the odd theme I proposed. Plenty of ways to interpret the idea, none of them wrong. The entries encompass former trees, attempted trees, pseudotrees, the voids within trees, trees adapted to other uses even as they remain standing, trees abstracted by lighting and composition, and translations of conceptual form to unrelated objects and spaces.

Within this group, the entry that stood out to me most was kwb's image of the guitars. There are two layers of abstraction here: the objects portrayed (the guitars) are made of trees, of course. But composed as the image is, resembling the view you'd have looking upward in a grove of trees, they're recast as their former selves towering overhead. The element of chance in the way the image was made also gives it something a little "different" in concept.

Congrats kwb! May you run a tighter contest in July than I did in June!

Thank you Jacquot, MiguelATF, Barondla, kwb, Bart, and Titia for your participation and intriguing entries. Not a single image was straightforward or boring; all evoked some sense of story or process to be explored and wondered at, which is exactly what I hoped would be the case.

Erik
07-03-2020, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #15
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Ok! Time to conclude this contest! I should in the future avoid winning any contests during fieldwork season as obviously I'm insufficiently attendant to the forums here.

I appreciate all the interesting entries to the odd theme I proposed. Plenty of ways to interpret the idea, none of them wrong. The entries encompass former trees, attempted trees, pseudotrees, the voids within trees, trees adapted to other uses even as they remain standing, trees abstracted by lighting and composition, and translations of conceptual form to unrelated objects and spaces.

Within this group, the entry that stood out to me most was kwb's image of the guitars. There are two layers of abstraction here: the objects portrayed (the guitars) are made of trees, of course. But composed as the image is, resembling the view you'd have looking upward in a grove of trees, they're recast as their former selves towering overhead. The element of chance in the way the image was made also gives it something a little "different" in concept.

Congrats kwb! May you run a tighter contest in July than I did in June!

Thank you Jacquot, MiguelATF, Barondla, kwb, Bart, and Titia for your participation and intriguing entries. Not a single image was straightforward or boring; all evoked some sense of story or process to be explored and wondered at, which is exactly what I hoped would be the case.

Erik
Oh wow, thanks Erik for choosing my photo, I feel as if slamming my body to the floor to get out of the frame was a worthy effort after all!
Thank you all participants, it was really interesting to see how we all approached the theme differently. Let me thank Erik again for coming up with an interesting theme!
See you in the next contest (which I hope I can post some time today or tomorrow)!