Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2020, 01:45 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Minimalist street photography with a Ricoh GR

A fascinating short video from Sean Tucker on using a Ricoh GR for his street photography.

For any one who has an interest in street photography.

07-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice video. Everything this guy rings true when it comes to street photography for me. There are just more opportunities when you are using a simple point and shoot and shooting from the hip. This way you can catch people in their natural environment. The Pentax GR is a great little camera, but quite expen$ive (at least for me), so are the accessories. This is what has kept me away so far, from buying that camera. I would rather dump my money into a DSLR system unless of course I was a Professional Street Photographer which I'm not.

I use to carry my Lumix DMC-TZ5 almost every where I went every day, because it fit right into my front pocket. And boy did I get some great shots that I probably would not have been able to if I was carrying my DSLR. Unfortunately, the Lumix is only a 10 Megapixel camera, so I could only go about 8x10 max when it came to enlargements. Also, anything over ISO 800 and you start seeing noise like there was no tomorrow. It does not have an ASPC sensor like the GR, more like 4/3, or maybe even smaller ?

On very bright sunny days the LCD in the back would get washed out, so you couldn't take any pictures even if you tried and this camera did not come with an optional optical viewfinder. This camera unlike the GR did have a zoom lens which was the equivalent of 28-105 mm, but trying to hold the camera still with a focal length over 60 mm was quite a challenge even with shake reduction.Then there was the time/shutter lag when you wanted to get off a quick shot...

So even though you did get a lot of shots that you would have missed with an ordinary DSLR, you also missed a lot of shots because of those issues. This camera (Panasonic Lumix) came out in the year 2001, so recent models have probably improved quite a bit since then. Even so, I purchased an exact replacement for it just last year from eBay, because the back LCD on the original blew out.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-05-2020 at 07:43 PM.
07-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've used my GR for street use in New Orleans and would say that it did well except that it whetted my appetite for shake reduction. My GR is a II and I struggled quite a bit with shots that weren't very well lit, which happens a lot in NOLA. I suspect a III is in my future, but not for a while as I, too find the price a bit steep. I've used mine at family events also and it was brilliant at that. It's definitely not a camera that will serve every purpose but it is a delight as a second camera.
07-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I use to carry my Lumix DMC-TZ5 almost every where I went every day, because it fit right into my front pocket. And boy did I get some great shots that I probably would not have been able to if I was carrying my DSLR. Unfortunately, the Lumix is only a 10 Megapixel camera, so I could only go about 8x10 max when it came to enlargements.
I used to shoot with a Sony DSC-P200 back a few years ago because it's all I had. It's a 7.2MP camera. I've printed pictures up to poster size (24"x36" I think) and you could see the grains in the sand (exposing these smaller sensors well is the key...) - and that was before I discovered you can edit pictures on your computer...
I have seen people who work in printing shops who have large pictures printed on their walls - that were taken with 6MP cameras from back in the day. People can't tell the difference from newer 24+MP pictures unless they take a magnifying glass to them - something no one would do with street photography.
I would not hesitate to print large pictuers from my K10D and K200D files (10MP) and know people here in the forums who have sold many pictures taken with these cameras - and with cameras with smaller sensors, particularly cameras like the Panasonic LX3 which is a premium point and shoot with a 10MP sensor - that shoots RAW.

The whole thing about needing 300dpi to print a picture is a myth - the human eye can't resolve that.

So what I'm trying to say is - I would not limit myself to 8x10 pictures... unless the lens on your Panasonic camera is what can't resolve detail... but I somehow doubt that.

07-21-2020, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For anyone who may be interested, here is a follow on video to the above:-
07-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pedrodelta Quote
A fascinating short video from Sean Tucker on using a Ricoh GR for his street photography.
Thank you for posting these two videos, most interesting and informative and great images. I see a Fan Ho influence too.
07-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Thank you for posting these two videos, most interesting and informative and great images. I see a Fan Ho influence too.
You are very welcome Kevin and I'm pleased that you and hopefully many others found it interesting. What I particularly like about Sean Tucker is his self effacing and very philosophical approach to photography, which for me is a breath of fresh air when compared with so many ego's that seem to pervade YouTube photography channels these days.

Just my thoughts of course!!!

Best regards everyone....

07-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The GR Project

In keeping with the spirit of the above videos, here is another from a dedicated GR enthusiast, Samuel Lintaro Hopf, who's mission has been to travel the world meeting like minded GR oficionados. More of his work can be found on Youtube (search GR project) but in this particular episode he travels to London to spend a day in the capital with Sean Tucker to share and enjoy some GR inspiration.

Hope you like it.....
09-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
An update on Sean Tuckers journey with the Pentax/Ricoh GR and more specifically the GR 111x

Enjoy!
11-28-2021, 12:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
People complain about Pentax marketing but I think these GR videos show how effective social media can be. They have tens of thousands of views and subscribers.