Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #1

ricoh gr ii vs pentax q7

I want a pocketable camera, I love my K3 but some places I don't take it, on the boat fishing, going to the groceries, on the way to appointments, quick walks, etc.
for a backup camera. I am looking at Ricoh gr ii vs Pentax q7. I would be adding a 01 prime 8.5mm lens (39.5mm crop factor) on Q7.
On the Ricoh, I like 28mm (42mm crop factor) because I am used to shooting street photography on my K3 28mm (42mm crop factor) vintage lens.

Any users have used both and liked one vs the other?

thanks, advance.

07-06-2020, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a couple Q7s and most of the lenses and a GRIII. Unless the GRII is really different From the GRIII, the Ricoh has a 18.3mm lens which is a 28mm equivalent and not 42mm. So that may influence your decision.

EDIT: The GRIII has supplanted the Q7s and the brick-like K-01 for discrete carry. However on bad weather days I carry the Ricoh WG6. It’s water proof down to 65 feet, dust proof, drop resistant, shoots 4K video and has some cool tricks. Subjectively, as a snap shot camera, the IQ isn’t as good as the Q7 And certainly not as good as the GRIII.

Link to WG6 Flickr album, Q7 album and GRIII album

https://flickr.com/photos/162807002@N05/sets/72157713861610862

https://flickr.com/photos/162807002@N05/sets/72157709464522717

https://flickr.com/photos/162807002@N05/sets/72157712032161328

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 07-06-2020 at 10:48 AM.
07-06-2020, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Starrfish Quote
On the Ricoh, I like 28mm (42mm crop factor) because I am used to shooting street photography on my K3 28mm (42mm crop factor) vintage lens.
To be clear, the GR II has an 18mm lens, so you'd get the same field of view as an 18mm lens on your K-3 (both cameras are APS-C).

That equates to 28mm on full frame, but IMO it is much easier to just ignore this fact.

Overall I would recommend going for the GR II. With a lens, the Q isn't really pocketable (unless you have the cap lens), and for wide-angle shooting the GR II will handsomely outperform it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked recently and seems to me ricoh gr ii can't be found new anymore or (if found) has the price comparable with gr iii. About buying used I am not sure: there is common complain about used gr II may have dust collected and hard to clean up.

07-06-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #5

I do not own a GR II and a Q7 but I own a GR, a GRIII and a Q.

Q's sensor is a bit smaller than Q7's but it is not relevant, both sensors are very small.
Q's image quality is not amazing at all. Nowadays, I hardly use my Q because bokeh is never smooth and image quality is never excellent.

GR, GRII and GRIII use an aps-c sensor, it is another league, another world compared to Q's family.
Image quality is excellent, bokeh is smooth.
The only problem regarding GR's family is the fixed 28mm (24x36 equivalent) focal length: you cannot zoom in or out, you just can buy a converter in order to shoot at 21mm (24x36 equivalent) or you can crop in order to simulate a longer lens.

In a nutshell: Q is flexible but not so good, GR is excellent but rigid.
Hope it will help.
07-06-2020, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison, really... the GRII and Q7 are very different beasts with different strengths and weaknesses.

The GRII has a large APS-C sensor and superb image quality to match, it's pocketable, and has an excellent, reasonably fast, fixed focal length lens. So long as the field of view from an 18mm lens on APS-C works for you, it'll be an excellent choice. Note that, since the lens is fixed, if you end up with dust or debris on the sensor (rare, but it can happen), the camera will need servicing to remove this.

The Q7 has a small sensor, and whilst image quality is very good in its class - especially if you shoot in raw and you're handy with post-processing skills - it will never match a good APS-C sensor such as that in the GRII, unless reproduced at modest sizes. The interchangeable lenses result in a less-pocketable system (though it's still very compact), but with greater versatility where field of view is concerned. The short focal lengths (required because of the small sensor size) result in significant depth of field at all apertures... not good if you want to separate your subject from the background or foreground, but great if you want everything from near to far in focus. If you should end up with dust or debris on the sensor, it's easy to remove with a dust blower or brush.

So, as I said, different beasts with different plus and minus points. Essentially, though, the GRII wins on absolute image quality and pocketability, while the Q7 wins on field-of-view versatility

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-06-2020 at 02:57 PM.
07-06-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As said totally different, so I suggest you figure out what works best for you independent of each other.

For me the handling of the Q and the ability to use a fish eye, 35mm (FF) equivalent and aux. optical viewfinder, and about 50 mm equivalent and aux. optical viewfinder, is more/most important.** Image quality for me is more than good enough so long as I am not doing low light (night time, theatre, etc.). And the 28mm equivalent lens is "nowhere" for me.

Handling and confidence in/liking the camera (the "Halo Effect," from supervision/management) usually leads to better images (IMO) than lens/sensor capability. But having the right FOV is paramount (again for me).

_____
** Of course the Q7 has a larger sensor so those FF equivalents will be quite a bit wider. So for me except for the fish eye I would stay with the Q.

Last edited by dms; 07-06-2020 at 03:00 PM.
07-07-2020, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the use intended by you, I would get an Pentax MX-1, if it has to be a Pentax.
Or one of the Sony DCS RX 100 series (1" Sensor).

Why not Pentax Q or GR II?
I think the Q-System is to bulky to always carry around (the lens getting in the way, not the camera) and the GR-II is to limited by its single short 18mm (i.e. 28 mm) lens. Not a walk-around lens for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 07-07-2020 at 02:07 AM.