Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Looking to buy a GXR - what should I know?

I noticed the GXR mentioned in a thread as a unique piece of tech and I've been very interested in it since.

Now that I'm looking to buy one - what should I be aware of in terms of stuff to look out for?

Cheers!

07-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had one for about eight(!) years. I have the EVF, the 50mm macro module, and the 28mm module. I had the Leica M module to mount other lenses, but recently sold it. I have never been able to lay my hands on the leather half case, which I have always thought looks cool. I actually just bought the 28mm module as new old stock from a store.

Some thoughts: Watch out for dust in the lens modules. My 50mm has a couple of specks that show up in some photos and I've always been pretty careful with it. I had one of the zoom modules with the smaller sensor and it wasn't very good - I wouldn't bother with those at all. The EVF was very useful with the Leica M module for focusing - it is still useful in bright light situations, but it bulks up the camera and makes it feel more delicate. My only concerns with the camera are that the contrast-based autofocus is slow and the dynamic range seems low. The later fact probably wouldn't be a problem if I was a better photographer and could nail exposure better, but I've missed shots that I could have recovered on my KP. It does have an interesting snap focus feature that I have been playing around with more lately.
6 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't suggest turning down an S10 module if you see one for cheap. Very versatile and much better image quality than you might expect from the small sensor. With an optional petal hood makes the GXR a very pocketable and convenient camera.

That said the 50mm macro module is my favorite lens I've ever owned. No dust issues so far, and I drag it around in nasty field conditions multiple times a week (11,500 frames in the last year and counting!). You get used to the quirky and never quick focus behavior and that makes it easier to work with.