Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2020, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone tried these grips for GRIII?

So I purchased the GW-4 wide-angle adapter for my GRIII. Optically it's stellar, I think i'll have a lot of fun with it.
One thing - it made the camera quite front heavy. I stumbled upon these on ebay, was wondering if anyone tried these? Looks like it should balance out the lens, provide better grip, and also would allow the camera to sit straight on the table due to that added height.

I realize it will diminish some of the awesome compactness of the GR, but I think it should be easy enough to remove it and GW-4 if I need maximum compactness, plus give me an option for better ergonomics with the wide-angle lens.

Attached Images

07-27-2020, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about a link to those grips?
07-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
How about a link to those grips?
Wasn't sure if I can link stuff to items on ebay on the forum. You can easily find them on eBay, just search GRIII grip. There are a few options. You can also find them on aliexpress if you use that platform.
09-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I own it, it's a great little grip! Worth every penny and looks pretty classy too.

09-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I own it, it's a great little grip! Worth every penny and looks pretty classy too.
Nice. Is it a snug fit? Seems to be machined well from photos
09-20-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, it feels just right and provides plenty of space for the fingers. For a really stable grip I also use the hot shoe thumb grip, since it's largely the thumb area that the GR III lacks.
09-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, it feels just right and provides plenty of space for the fingers. For a really stable grip I also use the hot shoe thumb grip, since it's largely the thumb area that the GR III lacks.
I was looking at those, but felt sketched out that it's in the hotshoe mount, was wondering if that might cause damage over a long period of time.

09-21-2020, 10:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I was looking at those, but felt sketched out that it's in the hotshoe mount, was wondering if that might cause damage over a long period of time.
Highly doubt it, hot shoe mounts are generally designed to be sturdy. Think about using a large flash all the time. The mount is engineered to handle some slight stress, and you're not likely to put much into the thumb grip holding such a light camera.
09-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Highly doubt it, hot shoe mounts are generally designed to be sturdy. Think about using a large flash all the time. The mount is engineered to handle some slight stress, and you're not likely to put much into the thumb grip holding such a light camera.
My one is getting heavier though lol, I bought the wide angle adapter for it and now it's getting a bit awkward to hold. That's the reason I wanted the grip in the first place. I'll check out the thumb handle too, plenty of them on amazon
11-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep my GRIII with me all the time. Even if also toting a DSLR. It essentially fills the role of a wide angle lens and still fits in the hip holster. But I put the Wide Converter on it it’s almost like carrying another compact DSLR.

Plus I have a tendency to accidentally hit the Close Up mode on the control wheel when drawing it so I already use the machined metal thumb grip. It helps a bit. Like many us here, the Wide Angle Adapter and Converter adds enough weight and bulk and physical size to negate the pocket carry-ness. So I’ve ordered one of the L grips figuring if it’s going to be bulky it might as well be easy to hold.

Heck it’s $50 and I’ma sucker gizmos and gimcracks anyway. I’ll let you know.
01-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Follow up: I bought the pictured grip and I really like it. It does take the GR III from jeans pocket to jacket pocket size but I almost never involuntarily change to close up mode anymore. It really makes a difference in handling with the wide angle converter on. ‘Course that in itself makes it too big for most pockets.
01-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you like it, I really like mine whenever I use it. Looks great on the camera, too.
01-27-2021, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Follow up: I bought the pictured grip and I really like it. It does take the GR III from jeans pocket to jacket pocket size but I almost never involuntarily change to close up mode anymore. It really makes a difference in handling with the wide angle converter on. ‘Course that in itself makes it too big for most pockets.
Thanks! The wide angle converter is the reason I wanted to get it too. It really unbalances the camera)