Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2020, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Point and Shoot Competition #149 - Things you miss the most

Point and Shoot Competition #149 - Things you miss the most

A little shaken over the explosion in Beirut, I was there 18 Oct - Nov 8, 2017. Hoping everyone here is safe!

I wanted something that will give great and wide license to creativity during this new reality that we are living in. What you miss the most could be just about anything, if you've become a diabetic, it could be an ice cream sundae, if you miss live theater take a picture of your favorite venue. A brief caption is a must to explain your choice in pictures.

Rule 1: Always have fun!

Rule 2, Cameras:
Grand rule is that a qualifying camera should be compact, and let's say fit in a pocket of some garment you own or have owned at some time, and some pockets are bigger than others! I'm not getting out a tape measure...
As far as the grand rule is met,
Fixed-lens cameras regardless of the sensor size and medium (digital or film) qualify.
Digital interchangeable lens cameras with the sensor size equal to or smaller than 1" qualify, but no "adapted" lenses are allowed.
Mobile phones, tablets and any 110 film cameras are allowed.
Rule 3, Submission details:
Entries will close on August 31, 2020 midnight CDT.
Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time.
List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.
No restrictions on when the entries were taken.
Judgment will be based on the pictures displayed in the forum, and the maximum image dimensions displayed are 1024x768 (ish) pixels. You could link to a larger sized image hosted elsewhere, but that larger image won't be used for judgment.
Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures!!!

Last edited by chubasco; 08-05-2020 at 11:57 AM.
08-05-2020, 12:46 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

This was my local dog friendly wine bar. I could tell the family I was taking the dog for a walk and come here for a glass of wine and it would still be the truth. The dog would be given a liver treat so she'd be as eager as me to come in. On the left hand side you can see the dog polaroid wall of fame. And because dogs are a great ice breaker you'd always end up chatting with someone. At Miss Wolf everyone knew your name. Sadly it appears to not have survived the lockdown.

Canon s110.
08-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent first photo, offficiousbystander! It looked like a fun convivial place to visit...and a great background story, too!

Last edited by chubasco; 08-05-2020 at 06:09 PM.
08-14-2020, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess what I miss the most right now is more entries!

08-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
This was my local dog friendly wine bar. I could tell the family I was taking the dog for a walk and come here for a glass of wine and it would still be the truth. The dog would be given a liver treat so she'd be as eager as me to come in. On the left hand side you can see the dog polaroid wall of fame. And because dogs are a great ice breaker you'd always end up chatting with someone. At Miss Wolf everyone knew your name. Sadly it appears to not have survived the lockdown.

Canon s110.
Great photo, great story officiousbystander, I wonder, didn't get the dogs into a fight sometimes? A great subject too chubasco, but a very difficult one too. I'm still thinking about how I can visualize what I miss the most.
08-16-2020, 01:52 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I chose three places I would normally be in the summer, and I miss them all.

First is from Toulouse, France, and one of my very favorite places, the Couvent des Jacobins. That is the tomb of Aquinas, moved there in the 14th c. as I remember.

The second is from the Guggenheim Museum in NYC, one of my favorites for the architecture and the exhibits. I miss it dearly!

Third is from Schoodic Point in Maine, also a place I would be at some point in the summer and love dearly.

This year is a skip for all three. All are iPhone photos and I think all with the X.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
08-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Titia Quote
I wonder, didn't get the dogs into a fight sometimes?
Yes. You'd have to tell them to take it outside.

08-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Beautiful set, Jacquot! Judging has now become a little bit harder I've always wanted to tour the Guggenheim! My last duty station was NAS Brunswick in Maine (no longer exists).
08-17-2020, 07:15 PM - 7 Likes   #9
gbl

Taken with a Sony RX0. Definitely qualifies as a compact camera
Fixed 24mm equivalent, Fixed f4, ISO125, 1 inch sensor.

08-18-2020, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
Beautiful set, Jacquot! Judging has now become a little bit harder I've always wanted to tour the Guggenheim! My last duty station was NAS Brunswick in Maine (no longer exists).
Chubasco: I know the Brunswick NAS well, went to Bowdoin College back when it was quite active! Very different these days.
08-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Chubasco: I know the Brunswick NAS well, went to Bowdoin College back when it was quite active! Very different these days.
Wow, small world...I loved Maine, was very similar to my home area of Sandpoint, Idaho, except they had this lake called the "Atlantic Ocean" lol. Bowdoin College is a prestigious institution of higher learning, congrats.

---------- Post added 08-18-2020 at 06:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Taken with a Sony RX0. Definitely qualifies as a compact camera
Fixed 24mm equivalent, Fixed f4, ISO125, 1 inch sensor.
Lovely pic, gbl!
08-20-2020, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #12
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a Japanese living abroad, lack of quality Japanese dining option has been the standard part of my life for more than 20 years, but at least I used to go back once per year or maybe twice per 3 years and visit relatives as well as restaurants. This year that won't happen. Not sure which I miss more, folks over there or restaurants.
Shot at a place in Kanazawa train station last summer with my cellphone (google pixel 3). I hope that small businesses like this are doing OK.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 3  Photo 
08-21-2020, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice, kwb, I miss Japan, too! Sazae was a fave or grilled black tiger shrimp with sea salt and cracked pepper both with reishu for the drink. Five years at MCAS Iwakuni and 2 years at Sasebo...I have a friend that works for the state department that has a job in the Tokyo area, lucky stiff. If a certain person doesn't get re-elected we plan on a trip to Cuba next year, fingers x'd. And no, I don't want to launch into a political discussion, please.
08-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #14
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
Nice, kwb, I miss Japan, too! Sazae was a fave or grilled black tiger shrimp with sea salt and cracked pepper both with reishu for the drink. Five years at MCAS Iwakuni and 2 years at Sasebo...I have a friend that works for the state department that has a job in the Tokyo area, lucky stiff. If a certain person doesn't get re-elected we plan on a trip to Cuba next year, fingers x'd. And no, I don't want to launch into a political discussion, please.
Reishu! Now I remember another serious problem, lack of quality sake in USA.
08-22-2020, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Reishu! Now I remember another serious problem, lack of quality sake in USA.
I hear you, *sigh* Iwakuni had their own brand of reishu (in clear glass bottle with white-blue-silver label, exquisite). Wish I had a couple of cases of that...