Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2020, 08:39 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great entries already!

It seems the things I miss correspond with the other participants.
I have been working from home since half March when teleworking was first encouraged over here.
However, I have daily contact with my colleagues, management and customers using Teams or equivalent solutions.
Same goes for personal contacts.
So, not feeling alone or isolated here and extremely busy with work.

What I do miss, is going to one of the fine local restaurants and our yearly trip abroad.
We were going to stay in the Ardèche in France this year but cancelled the trip.

Since I'm not in the habit of bringing a camera in a restaurant and I obviously can't share images from the Ardèche, I decided to pick 3 images from another region in France, the Limousin where we stayed in a little village Corrèze.

Panasonic FX500, 12.2mm (72mm equivalent), 1/60 at f/4.9, ISO 400

Panasonic FX500, 6.3mm (37mm equivalent), 1/320 at f/3.8, ISO 160

Panasonic FX500, 11.3mm (67mm equivalent), 1/160 at f/4.9, ISO 100

So, older images but freshly processed

08-24-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nice set, Bart! I had to look up the camera, a compact point and shoot from 2008, really like the detail in the wheat, last pic. Care to share the processing? It is getting more and more difficult, the judging...
Thanks for sharing your new life during this pandemic...I've become inured with wearing a mask, and am wondering if this will be "de rigueur" for the un/forseeable future. I'm not a crowds person, but I do like and
miss having a choice.

Last edited by chubasco; 08-24-2020 at 01:36 PM.
08-25-2020, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful photos Bart and very familiar to me because I've been on vacation to France for the most part of my growing up life.

Last edited by Titia; 08-25-2020 at 02:08 AM.
08-25-2020, 03:58 AM - 7 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in the Netherlands right at the Belgium border. What I miss the most during this pandemic is the lack of inhibition (if that's the right expression). Today we have to think a lot before we step outside our house. Think about where we're going, are we allowed to go there, how to behave, be careful with what we touch, keeping our distance, desinfect our hands constantly. You can't comfort people with a warm embrace unless they live with you in the same house. We've become suspicious, even hostile sometimes towards people we don't know. I've seen it all around me on the streets and in the shops. During the closure of the borders it was like a wartime zone. Every path, lane or road around me which was leading into Belgium was closed with either man-size heaps of soil, iron fences or huge concrete blocks. I'm glad that is gone and that our governments have decided to never physically close the borders again, but we're still not free to go where we want to go.
For instance as of last week's Belgian rule: if Bart should decide to pay me a visit, he's allowed to, but when returning to his home, he has to go in self-quarantine for 14 days. So my contribution to this #149 competition is to show you how limited we actually still are.
Photo 1 is the front view of my house. The land is Dutch, the dyke and church is Belgium
Photo 2 is taken from the dyke where my sheep graze. Half way the land and the trees is Belgium
Photo 3 is taken in my neighbourhood. The tall trees on the left are Dutch, the smaller trees beyond is Belgium.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo     

Last edited by Titia; 08-25-2020 at 10:34 AM.
08-25-2020, 09:24 AM - 5 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

I miss the ability to travel, like so many others. A carefree day on the lovely isle of Kauai back in 2012.

08-25-2020, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
Nice set, Bart! I had to look up the camera, a compact point and shoot from 2008, really like the detail in the wheat, last pic. Care to share the processing? It is getting more and more difficult, the judging...
Thanks for sharing your new life during this pandemic...I've become inured with wearing a mask, and am wondering if this will be "de rigueur" for the un/forseeable future. I'm not a crowds person, but I do like and
miss having a choice.
Thanks, Bill!
I guess what we all miss is having the choice.
Although according to a recent study, only 1/3 of the population in Flanders is still motivated and inclined to follow the corona protocol.
Lots of people seem to believe they do have a choice

The mayor part of the processing if not all, was done with DxO FilmPack where you can apply a film emulation and then change the basics like tone curve, contrast etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Titia Quote
Beautiful photos Bart and very familiar to me because I've been on vacation to France for the most part of my growing up life.
Thanks, Titia.
We use to go every other year to France.

QuoteOriginally posted by Titia Quote
I live in the Netherlands right at the Belgium border. What I miss the most during this pandemic is the lack of inhibition (if that's the right expression). Today we have to think a lot before we step outside our house. Think about where we're going, are we allowed to go there, how to behave, be careful with what we touch, keeping our distance, desinfect our hands constantly. You can't comfort people with a warm embrace unless they live with you in the same house. We've become suspicious, even hostile sometimes towards people we don't know. I've seen it all around me on the streets and in the shops. During the closure of the borders it was like a wartime zone. Every path, lane or road around me which was leading into Belgium was closed with either man-size heaps of soil, iron fences or huge concrete blocks. I'm glad that is gone and that our governments have decided to never physically close the borders again, but we're still not free to go where we want to go.
For instance as of last week's Belgian rule: if Bart should decide to pay me a visit, he's allowed to, but when returning to his home, he has to go in self-quarantine for 14 days. So my contribution to this #149 competition is to show you how limited we actually still are.
Photo 1 is the front view of my house. The land is Dutch, the dyke and church is Belgium
Photo 2 is taken from the dyke where my sheep graze. Half way the land and the trees is Belgium
Photo 3 is taken in my neighbourhood. The tall trees on the left are Dutch, the smaller trees beyond is Belgium.
Wonderful scenery and light, Titia!
You really live on the border

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I miss the ability to travel, like so many others. A carefree day on the lovely isle of Kauai back in 2012.
Carefree is indeed what this image is showing us, Jim!
08-25-2020, 07:30 PM - 4 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unlike most people, I most miss free time. Before Covid-19 I was happily working 30-35 hours a week. As an essential employee, I'm now working a minimum of 40 hours a week with lots of overtime. This has allowed purchase of a Pentax 645Z system, but I have so little time to actually shoot it. To make matters worse I commute 20 minutes each way to work. The highway department closed the interstate highway forcing me to drive through a large town. Now the commute time has doubled. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any improvement until Jan. 2021. Ughh.

Pentax Q7 with #01 standard lens. Jpeg in camera multiple exposures.

Thanks for listening and looking,
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
08-29-2020, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Great how you gave this concept form, barondla!
08-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Great how you gave this concept form, barondla!
Thanks Bart and everyone else,
barondla
08-29-2020, 07:47 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Thought I'd sneak in another before the month ends. Just in a small group of workmates tens of thousands of dollars in airfares and accommodation have been lost this year. Can't believe how much we all took travel for granted. I should have been in Sumatra in July. I should also note it's a comparatively bearable loss for me. Indonesia is one of the most vulnerable countries and one of the worst hit.

Nikon Coolpix AW130.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 08-29-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Left something out.
08-30-2020, 05:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Looks like a lovely destination!

But indeed, the things we miss are not that bad compared to the ones that were hit by the disease.
Even those that survive and coming out of ICU, have to learn to breath on their own again.
Or the elderly people in the nursing homes: during the lock down, no visitors were allowed in and those that were accustomed having their children and grandchildren visiting frequently felt alone and isolated. I read an interview and the person said "I hope I die soon. I'll see more people in heaven".
A bit optimistic on his part perhaps but is shows his state of mind.
08-31-2020, 02:02 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful landscapes Titia. The light is amazing, especially in that second shot. Looks like one can just walk across the border at will. I want to visit. My roots are Dutch, but long ago.
08-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great entries, folks! Contest ends tonight at 12:00AM PDT, giving a few more hours from where I llive.
09-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I will come up with a winner tomorrow, you folks made it really hard to choose. Thanks to all for your participation!
09-03-2020, 08:57 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, the winner is: gbl, I kept going back to that stunning photo of mountains and lake, about 350 miles north of my hometown. Second place winner is a tie between Bart and Titia, love their 3rd photos in each. 3rd place goes to barondla for his originality, and hope things open up for you to enjoy life! Once again, thanks to all for participating during these difficult times. Can't wait to see what gbl comes up with in the next contest!