Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Point and Shoot Competition #150 – Mysterious things in and around your home town

Point and Shoot Competition #150 – Mysterious things in and around your home town

Sorry guys and gals, I’m all new to this. I hope I do this correctly and I can start this competition on time. I will just copy the spirit of previous competitions.
My idea is to capture “mysterious places” in and around your home town. That could be anything from a place where something unusual happened or a strange story is attached to it. A haunted house? A creepy place? A place full of history? A mystic landsape? Or just a mysterious item?
Let us know why the place/item is mysterious to you or what the story is behind it. Ideally the image(s) will reflect the mystery or tell a story in itself.

Rules are mostly the same in spirit as last month:

Rule 1: Always have fun!

Rule 2, Cameras:
Grand rule is that a qualifying camera should be compact, and let's say fit in a pocket of some garment you own or have owned at some time, and some pockets are bigger than others! I'm not getting out a tape measure...
As far as the grand rule is met,
• Fixed lens cameras regardless of the sensor size and medium (digital or film) qualify.
• Digital interchangeable lens cameras with the sensor size equal to or smaller than 1" qualify, but no "adapted" lenses are allowed.
• Mobile phones, tablets and any 110 film cameras are allowed.

Rule 3, Submission details:
Entries will close on September 30, 2020 midnight PDT.
Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the contest closing date/time.
List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.
No restrictions on when the entries were taken.
Judgment will be based on the pictures displayed in the forum, and the maximum image dimensions displayed are 1024x768 (ish) pixels. You could link to a larger sized image hosted elsewhere, but that larger image won't be used for judgment.
Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!!!

Cheers from Canada!

Last edited by gbl; 09-05-2020 at 06:59 PM.
09-09-2020, 04:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a fun contest.
09-12-2020, 09:35 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually live in a village that's referred to as "plain vanilla" in English I think.

Nothing much mysterious happens here - what can be a good thing of course - except for the time when a little alien transported right into a tree in a part of the woodlands and is still trapped in there.

Panasonic FX500, 6.3mm (37.0mm equivalent), f/3.8 at 1/80, ISO 100

I'll keep my eyes open to see if I spot anything else before month end
09-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
gbl

Original Poster
Mystery can be found everywhere

09-13-2020, 05:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hmm.
I might consider a selfie
09-17-2020, 02:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I actually live in a village that's referred to as "plain vanilla" in English I think.

Nothing much mysterious happens here - what can be a good thing of course - except for the time when a little alien transported right into a tree in a part of the woodlands and is still trapped in there.
Love your first entry Bart. I don't even live in a village, only 3 neighbours and nothing mysterious about them LOL
09-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bart your picture looks like a cyclops with the one big eye, the nostrils and a slash of mouth underneath, my opinion Nicely seen!

09-19-2020, 05:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Titia Quote
Love your first entry Bart. I don't even live in a village, only 3 neighbours and nothing mysterious about them LOL
QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
Bart your picture looks like a cyclops with the one big eye, the nostrils and a slash of mouth underneath, my opinion Nicely seen!
Thanks, Titia and Bill! Appreciated!

With only 3 neighbours, I'd say you're lucky they're not mysterious
09-20-2020, 09:29 AM - 4 Likes   #9

Photos: Albums
A wall mounted sundial, I think it starts at 6 am on the top left and works round to 4 pm on the top right, was the right time when the pic was taken. Ricoh GRiii

09-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

You got to wonder how the clock still works while the rest of the house seems unattended

Fine b&w, Welshbhoy!
09-26-2020, 02:34 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are all iPhone shots and discovered around the house at different times... Snow scene is not now!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
09-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

3 great entries, David!
Particularly the first one.
09-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Bart!
09-28-2020, 09:14 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A dog is often seen guarding the old covered bridge interior, but none of the locals know where the dog comes from or why.

Pentax Q with #01 standard lens. Converted to B&W.

Thanks for looking,
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
09-30-2020, 02:32 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

I’ll catch hell if she ever finds out about it, but one mysterious thing around the house, is the wife! <INSERT GRIN>. One never knows what is going on inside there... Like why you would invite a slightly lunatic puppy up into a swinging chair.

Samsung Galaxy S9