Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

What section of the forum is the info on all the Pentax point and shoots located?

Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm trying to gather some info on all the Pentax point and shoot cameras throughout the years, but I can't find any info listed for them on this forum like I can for the film SLR's and stuff. Is that information simply not here. Do we only have specs and stuff for the SLR's and stuff? If that's not listed here, does anyone know of a resource they can point me to?

Again, sorry if I just overlooked it, and thanks for any help.

09-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

It isn't as complete as some other areas.
09-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Note that if you see anything missing in the database, you can Add it by clicking the Add New Camera link found at the top right of the page.
09-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It does appear there is NO category for Pentax >FILM< compacts. Is this what you are asking?

09-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
It does appear there is NO category for Pentax >FILM< compacts. Is this what you are asking?
Doh! I didn't think about film.
09-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Yup, that's what I'm looking for. I should have specified film point and shoots. Those are specifically what I was searching up. Oh well, it's all good. Thanks for the info you guys!
09-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There needs to be an area to review Pentax film compacts. They are a part of the Pentax family and deserve to be remembered. It's never too late to add one. Perhaps @Adam will create a spot for Pentaxians to fill with Pentax compact info.

Thanks,
barondla

09-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A while back I looked into adding a category for Pentax film compacts, but what stood in the way was (1) very limited historical information on the topic and (2) a general lack of interest from the community. We still decided to set up a section for digital compacts, which is fairly complete for recent models, but hardly anybody has posted a review there.

What might therefore make more sense for film cameras is more of an article explaining the evolution of technology/features over time, or the legacy of certain models. Does anyone have any info that might be of use, whether for this or a potential camera DB?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A while back I looked into adding a category for Pentax film compacts, but what stood in the way was (1) very limited historical information on the topic and (2) a general lack of interest from the community. We still decided to set up a section for digital compacts, which is fairly complete for recent models, but hardly anybody has posted a review there.

What might therefore make more sense for film cameras is more of an article explaining the evolution of technology/features over time, or the legacy of certain models. Does anyone have any info that might be of use, whether for this or a potential camera DB?
I unfortunately do not have any knowledge or insight on Pentax film compacts to add, but I do think it would be nice if the article you're thinking of included some info on some of the stand out models that people liked/were considered "better". That's really why I was looking for some information on them initially, is I was hoping to make a recommendation for someone who was asking for suggestions on a good point-and-shoot film camera with autofocus/zoom. I thought it would be cool to give them a Pentax recommendation. Whatever you guys decide to do, I'll look forward to it. Thanks!
09-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll be subscribing to this thread, so if anyone has any tips, please do feel free to post them here. In the mean time, I will take a look to see if there is any reliable literature on the topic.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's some article fodder:
Why A Pentax Espio Should Be Top Of Your Compact Film Camera Wishlist – 35hunter

Pentax Espio IQZoom - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Also look up the Espio mini or UC-1. Very nice compact. I sold one here years ago.
09-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember seeing a lot of the zoom 90 and zoom 105 35mm compacts. Different model variations were available. Lomography has Zoom 90 photo pages. Camera: Pentax Zoom 90 WR · Lomography

Before this thread, I never thought to post a digital compact review. I'm slow, just found the medium format section this year.

Do the compact film shooters hangout in the film forum? If so, a post there might attract people to help with this project. PentaxForums is such a complete Pentax knowledge storehouse, film compacts need to be at least mentioned.

Thanks,
barondla
12-17-2021, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s another tidbit I found that could be interesting / helpful related to film point and shoot compact cameras:
Pentax IQZoom 928 Review - My Superzoom of Choice - 35mmc
01-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #14
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Japanese wikipedia is a good source to find out which model was released when, though I don't know if this is truly exhaustive.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/PENTAX%E3%81%AE%E9%8A%80%E5%A1%A9%E3%82%B3%E3%...B8%80%E8%A6%A7

User manuals for all of the last Pentax film compact series (all Espio 35mm film cameras and Efina APS cameras listed on wikipedia) are available at Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd. web page, but again these are in Japanese. You need to visit the following URI and then click "生産終了製品" or discontinued products to reveal that section. (Though the English page at Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd. has "discontinued products" section, unfortunately it doesn't list any film compacts.)
????? / ?????? / ???? | RICOH IMAGING

For example, Espio Mini was released in 1994 and was the only Espio with a prime lens according to wikipedia, and you can tell from the manual that it had 32mm F3.5 lens (3 groups 3 elements), 0.34x OVF with 85% coverage, supported AF, bulb mode up to 5 minutes (!!), panorama mode, auto loading, auto winding/rewinding etc.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/man-pdf/emini.pdf

Last edited by kwb; 01-03-2022 at 03:16 PM.
01-03-2022, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote

For example, Espio Mini was released in 1994 and was the only Espio with a prime lens according to wikipedia, and you can tell from the manual that it had 32mm F3.5 lens (3 groups 3 elements), 0.34x OVF with 85% coverage, supported AF, bulb mode up to 5 minutes (!!), panorama mode, auto loading, auto winding/rewinding etc.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/man-pdf/emini.pdf
The espio mini was black while the UC-1 was silver. They are the same camera as I understand it. It is a much loved camera. I sold one here years ago.