Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Please help me to select a camera for wifey

My wife has asked me to select a good compact camera for her.

Her criteria is:

1. not too expensive.
2. not too heavy. My k100D to her is too heavy.
3. comes with shutter priority and aperture priority
4. built-in shake reduction.
5. manual zoom ring instead of pressing a button to zoom in/out. I guess she tried my k100D and like the feel.
6. can fit ND filter or polarizer. She love the filter thingy on my k100D
7. uses AA batteries, so she can share batteries with my k100D
8. Not too noisy at higher iso. of course this cannot be compared to a DSLR.
9. uses SD card (preferably)
10. comes with respectable zoom.
11. no shutter lag. she has been using her n95 8gb recently and that thing has terrible shutter lag.
12. no need to change lens.

I have done some research and come upon the fujifilm S6000fd but it is discontinued. The other fuji series has electronic zoom except S9600.

My questions are:

1. Anyone uses S9600? any feedback?
2. What other alternatives do i have apart from this?

Many thanks.

11-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

An easy camera to use and lighter than the Fuji is the Panasonic Lumix DMZ-FZ50. I used this camera before switching to DSLR and Pentax and LBA. Lecia glass and really nice images came out of that camera....almost fits all your criteras except noise. It shoots raw to help eliminate some of that problem.....
11-09-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow - pretty specific...
Looks like the Fuji 9600 or the Panasonic as mentioned earlier are the best (and readily available) options for you.
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
2. not too heavy. My k100D to her is too heavy.
I realise this is slightly off topic, but if she's using NiMH rechargables in her K100, try Lithium AAs. They're significantly lighter, and while it doesn't actually change the weight of the camera that much, it definitely (to me anyway) makes it feel noticably lighter. As an added bonus, it's not off-balance to the right anymore, either.

(Oh, and the autofocus operates slightly faster...)

11-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What about the Pentax K-m (K-2000)?
You could share your lenses/filters in this case.

In terms of compact cameras, I always found the C*n*n Powershot (e.g., CANON Powershot 570IS) stuff to be very impressive. Not sure, though, whether this one fulfils all your requirements.
11-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful comments.

My original plan is to give my k100D to wifey while I upgrade to k20D/K30D.

There is this outing we go to and she handled my camera fitted with DA50-200 and carried it for about 2 hours or so. She complained that the weight is just too much. Furthermore, the thing is hanging off her neck and she felt extremely uncomfortable.

So I scraped the idea of giving her the k100D and looked for an alternative solution. My first thought is to get her the Olympus E-420 since that is the smallest dslr i can find. Prob is that the 420 has no SR and if i fit a 18-180 lens to it, it is also no longer small and light. Furthermore, 18mm on the 420 is not wide enuf.

Then the thought of K-M comes along. But I resisted to go this way because if I get the K-M, I will be fitting it with the pentax 18-250 which will also increase the weight of the K-M.

Finally I rested upon the idea of getting a bridge camera.

Are there any other recommendation for a good bridge camera that fit the descriptions mentioned earlier?

Thanks
11-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Why not go for one of the 4/3 sytems?
11-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
4/3 system like E-420, E-520 is no longer light if the weight of the lens is taken into consideration. 4/3 system from panasonic is quite small but is too costly.

11-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to have a Fuji bridge cam and I loved it, so my vote is in favor of the Fuji. I had an adapter tube screwed on to it and kept a UV filter on it all the time, but also used a polarizer with good results, as well.

If you were to go with a camera that doesn't have this capability with filters, then you do have a couple of Cokin options--a holder that screws into the tripod socket and a magnetic holder that sticks onto the camera itself.
COKIN Creative System - The Holder System - Digi Shoe Holder & Digi Magnetic Holder

If you were to go that route with the filters, then that would open up a lot more good options. My mom is a big fan of Kodak. She has one of their bridgecams and loves it. Hers has since been discontinued, but this one looks like it would be a good one:
KODAK EASYSHARE Z1015 IS Digital Camera

Another thought which may eliminate your wife's concerns about the camera weight--make sure she has a proper strap. Even with some of these bridge cams, they can be almost as heavy as a DSLR/lens combo; that Fuji S9600 weighs almost 23 oz (not sure if that includes the batteries or not) and that weight will get heavy when she's carrying it around all day. That's why I got rid of my Fuji bridge cam, but that was before I found out about how important a good strap is--specifically the Op/Tech ones. They really do make a big difference!
Check out their website for more info:
Demo Page
FYI, I use the Super Classic strap with my bodies.

HTH,
Heather
11-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks heather.

The Koday easyshare does not have manual zoom ring which wifey specifically ask for. I agree with you that the camera strap is an important factor. Will look into all options including the Op/Tech ones.
11-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I actually handled a Fuji Finepix S6500 (it's older now) ... and it has everything you are after.

Although I suggest looking for the 9600 model ... it is more up to date ... but an excellent bridge camera ... and with screw-in adaptors for macro and tele as well. A great little camera to use. I was impressed.

Prior to me getting my K10D ... I was either looking at the Panasonic FZ50 or the Finepix S9600 ... I was hard pressed trying to figure which one to get .. both were very close in specs.
11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Appreciated.
11-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Igilligan

Raider...

Hey Raider, please consider the S100 fuji. It has a great lens, usable hi Iso and IS... Unfortunately it is as big as an entry level dslr. but the shots from Twg and Lloydy over in FTF on DPR have been really good.

I have the S6000 and it was a wonderful bridge cam for me... I seldom use it since getting the pentax but when I do it is still a good performer. If you are interested in a used one let me know.

But that S100fs is the real deal IMHO...

Here is a link to some of Dave Lloyds shots

Pix Planet : Gallery

And some early macros from tony (twg) S100fs + raynox

s100fs - Nature is nature.: Fujifilm Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

good luck...
11-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry I miss your last post.

Yes I did consider the Fujifilm s100FS. In fact i think it is a very fine camera, has all the features wifey need and more. The cost is also high though....something for me to ponder about.

How much are u intending to sell the s6000fd? Based on my research, the S6000fd has no IS features. Is this shortcoming critical for wifey u think?

Thanks!
11-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #15
Igilligan

Hey Raider

Well, to be honest... if the wifey likes to shoot at the long end of the zoom, I would say the IS is worth it. From everything I have seen the S100fs really seems to be a leap forward for fuji. The high iso on the S6000 is pretty good, usable ISO 800 with a little fuji NR look. But the shots I have seen from the S100 are as good or better at high ISO and add the IS to that and what appears to be a good lens... and it seems to really beat the 6000/9600 ultra/bridges.
I have also seen that the S100 seems to be dropping in price...

Just imagine having to handhold the pentax at 300mm all the time without IS and guess what you keeper rate would be...

Having said that, the S6000 forced me to learn better camera holding skills/tricks which only helps even with the IS of the K-cams.

But if it was my wifey, I probably would pony up the cash for the S100fs and then I could use it when I did not want to carry the "bag". The photos in the links I posted are pretty impressive for a P&S ultra bridge.