Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need Suggestion for Compact, Advanced P&S

I looked at past threads, and it doesn't look like this question has been asked lately.

I want to purchase a used, compact camera with advanced controls (Manaul, Aperature Priority, etc.), but don't want to spend more than $150.

What would be a good option for something that's maybe a couple years old, that still puts out good IQ.

And even though my limit is $150, maybe I can start by looking up to $200 and talk the seller down in price. Who knows, worth a shot.

01-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the compact camera section. Are you generally open to any brand?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any idea about prime vs. zoom, and if so, the minimal zoom range you're looking for? Or even better, describe the intended main use!
01-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm open to any brand. Mainly just want to keep in my car at all times for spontaneous shots. I guess I'm open to ether zoom or prime.

01-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Canon (oops!) G-series is generally quite good. I'm not sure what the older ones go for these days.

I have a Canon G-15 which I use when a quick shot is needed (the flash and auto white balance work well), and give it to my wife when we travel. She gets the artistic shots, while I get the details with my K-3 and/or K-1.
01-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Pentax K-01 paired with the 40mm xs lens makes a good 'P&S' like camera with all the controls you listed with the bonus of being able to use any k lens. Often see them on ebay and the marketplace in your price range.
01-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
gbl

Can't go wrong with the original Sony RX100. A brilliant little camera!

01-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does anyone have any experience with the Fujifilm X-A1 Camera? The only reason I ask is there is one for sale on my local Cragslist for $120, body only. Also, does it take Pentax lenses?

---------- Post added 01-18-21 at 09:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
A Pentax K-01 paired with the 40mm xs lens makes a good 'P&S' like camera with all the controls you listed with the bonus of being able to use any k lens. Often see them on ebay and the marketplace in your price range.
Maybe, I do have on old K10 (but only 10 Megapixels). I also don't think they (DSLR's) are as pocketable as a P&S. But worth considering...
01-19-2021, 03:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Can't go wrong with the original Sony RX100. A brilliant little camera!
I second that. I bought a Sony RX100 MK I for my wife for a month long trip to Australia. She doesn’t know too much about photography so I set it to full auto and RAW put in a big memory card and just let her shoot away. I was not only impressed but on some pictures stunned by the image quality. It’s a great little camera.
01-19-2021, 06:22 AM   #10
dlhawes

Fujifilm XP140
01-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #11

Nikon J5 with 18.5mm lens.
01-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympus XZ-1 and Olympus XZ-2 are magnificent cameras. I own both of them, and highly recommend them if you can bear to consider non-Pentax options.

Both XZ-1 and XZ-2 have full P-A-S-M mode dials, a lens that goes from 28–105mm (equivalent), and ƒ/1.8 at the wide end (ƒ/2.2 at the telephoto end). A second dial around the lens gives the cameras true "twin dial" abilities for quick adjustments. Sensor-shift image stabilization for photos, but no stabilization for video. RAW mode is there if you need it, but the JPEGs are fine for snapshots. The buttons are a bit small, but the whole thing is a superb and compact package.

Also, and this is either a big deal to you or an absurd tangent, but the buttons and dials on an Olympus camera have perfect tensions and tolerances. They feel great, sound great, work well.

You can get an XZ-1 for $150 on eBay, no problem. Pair the camera with the Olympus VF-3 clip-on electronic viewfinder (another $100 used), and you've got a system that weighs under 1 pound and cannot be beat during daylight hours. For nighttime shots, the XZ-2 is the better camera.

Worth noting: Olympus cameras (I own three) seem to use their batteries even in storage. So if you truly keep this in your car, you might want to keep a second battery handy. Also, be careful about extreme heat/cold in your unattended car; these are nice cameras and it'd be a shame to bake them.
01-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
The Canon (oops!) G-series is generally quite good. I'm not sure what the older ones go for these days.

I have a Canon G-15 which I use when a quick shot is needed (the flash and auto white balance work well), and give it to my wife when we travel. She gets the artistic shots, while I get the details with my K-3 and/or K-1.
I will second the Canon G series. Specifically the original G1X, which falls into your budget (I paid C$175 for mine last year). The sensor is smaller than APSC but larger than micro 4/3rds, so there's lots of real estate there for good image quality. The lens is extremely sharp, body is built like a tank, it has great manual controls which are quite intuitive, and it's very customizable. Downsides are that it's not super compact, it's a bit heavy (because it's so ruggedly built - take your pick). the optical viewfinder is very basic (but the screen is good). IQ is excellent - raw files are muted and low key, but easily fixed in post.

The Fuji XA1 is supposed to be a great camera too, with the bonus of interchangeable lenses. But then you're into a system camera and swapping lenses, and large lenses if you want zoom.

I tried a Sony RX100 mk4 for a few weeks and can't say I was impressed by the colours that came out of it. Very harsh and unnatural looking. The mk1 might be better in that regard.

Have you considered the Pentax MX-1? Terrific camera, but a bit expensive nowadays after a certain YouTuber posted a glowing review of it. I owned one for a few years, and really liked it.

Hope this helps.
01-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for all the suggestions! This gives me lots to research and consider.
01-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
I looked at past threads, and it doesn't look like this question has been asked lately.

I want to purchase a used, compact camera with advanced controls (Manaul, Aperature Priority, etc.), but don't want to spend more than $150.

What would be a good option for something that's maybe a couple years old, that still puts out good IQ.

And even though my limit is $150, maybe I can start by looking up to $200 and talk the seller down in price. Who knows, worth a shot.
Pentax Q series. The bay has them. Saw a Q10 with standard zoom for $100. Later add the 01 standard lens for more compactness. Same menus and controls as big Pentax DSLRs. PASM, multiple exposures, built in intervalometer, bold monochrome, etc. You can even get an adapter for PK lenses that turns the camera into a super telephoto rig. Get closer to the ducks. Check out the Q forum here. Q are a load of fun!

Thanks,
barondla